[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to buy a double barrel shotgun. SxS, O/U, I'm ok

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

I want to buy a double barrel shotgun. SxS, O/U, I'm ok with either. I'd love a pump down the road, I'm just new to gunz, have very little experience shooting shotties- and what experience I have I fucking LOVE it. I wanna buy used and a double because I like going hunting small game in the woods, don't have a ton of money, and a double seems like a cheap/robust/hyper-shtf option, and a pellet gun suck (outside very still hunting), probly will buy a pump down the road just don't wanna worry about it now cuz I haven't made up my mind/ can't afford anything decent anyways..

Where's the best place- new or used- to get a shotty for my purposes? Where should I look if used is best (pawn/gunbroker/show)? What should I look for? Bear in mind I'm not looking for anything remotely fancy, just something to blam squirrels and eat them.
>>
File: NCM_0018.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
NCM_0018.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32996309
stoeger double defender,if you want to go more traditional they make hammerless and hammer coach guns,as well as long double barrels.prices range from about $450 to $1,000 depending on what you want
>>
You can check a pawn shop or gun shop if you'd like. Look for something with a break action that locks up tight, with a clear intact barrel with minimal pitting. Look out for cracks, bulges, or dents. All are bad news. The rest of the gun should be in good well-taken-care-of condition, with no structural cracks in the stock. Make sure the barrels dont wiggle

New double barreled shotguns are expensive. If you are shooting squirrels you may be fine with a single-barrel.

check your local laws about shooting and eating squirrels. There is likely a season.
>>
>>32996309

just go to local gun store or nearest Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Gander Mtn and check out the used racks.

you hvent given us a price range, so idk...my experience with o/us ranges from ~$600 to over $25,000 but because I shoot clays competitively and get to shoot a lot of other peoples' guns.

mossbergs silver reserve and ruger's red label are considered bare minimum for an o/u for clays, but at that level id recommend a semi auto. But you said youre just gonna blam squirrels so just go check out any used no name scatter gats.

make sure the lock is as tight as can be. Trigger should be fairly stiff as well and have crisp reset.

worn out springs have a tendency to give light hammer strikes so theres a potential for hangfires
>>
>>32996471
thanks for that anon, I'm up on the seasons in my state. The new being expensive is why I'm looking used. The only new in a reasonable price is some chinese coach-gun bullshit.

I'm worried about getting a gun that works with modern loads- is there anything I should look for with regards to shotties?
>>
File: image.jpg (507KB, 1995x846px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
507KB, 1995x846px
I finished this last week and presented it to a good friend as a gift.
10 gauge,cut to 19inch
Completely refinished. Cut and polished all aluminum plates.
Tag in box reads (CHIEF JUSTICE)
>>
>>32996443
DESU I'm looking for cheaper. Gunbroker has shit thats like $200 market (if not cheaper) that I'm looking for. I want the freedom to spray it or refinish the wood or whatever without destroying an investment, I want the ability to cut down the barrel to a more appropriate length (yeah I know bead/legality/pattern blah blah),
>>
>>32996798
I don't know whats up with this faggot shit, I meant to type I M H O but it came out as D E S U. The point still stands.
>>
>>32996779
That is beautiful, I M H O.

DESU.
>>
>>32996917
Thank you.
I was really pleased with how it came out. Fuckin gun'll chop someone in half.
>>
>>32996779
Damn, wish I had friends like you
>>
>>32996779
damn did he suck your cock for years or something? thats one hell of a gift, also please tell me the brand of that shotgun because it is gorgeous
>>
Look for an old Savage 311. I had one of the many clones of it, and they're pretty stout guns. The ones in your price range won't look nice but they'll mostly work.

Don't spray paint any part of it, because you'll look like a tard shooting it and there are much better options out there. Typically you can get them cerakoted for right around $100. If the action is case hardened, don't do anything to it, just go over it lightly with 0000 steel wool (also reffered to as quadruple aught--do NOT USE any other grade of steel wool). SOCOM Blue cerakote is as close to a blued color as you can get in a cerakote and is nigh indestructable. Past that you can sand, stain and seal the wood with whatever's on clearance at Lowes or Walmart.
>>
I fell the non coachgun SxS get no love anymore.

Used to be all over peoples fire places.

Why does the 28 inch SxS get no love anymore?

You'd think the bongs at least would still like them.

Everyone is using the shitty OxUs now.
>>
>>32997988
Shorter guns have a more aggresive look to them. Same reason every ecobox car sold now has the REEEEEE aggressive aesthetics despite being miserable ecoboxes.
>>
>>32997840
It's a Zabala. Mid 80's.
It didn't look as hot before the stripping, staining, and finishing.
>>
>>32998124
ahh thanks man, thats spanish right?
>>
>>32999067
Yes sir!
There's still a few floating around for a decent price. It took me a while to get ahold of that beast.
>>
>>32996309
If you want a pump why not get one? They will generally be cheaper than an o/u or sxs all things equal.
>>
>>32996904
Lol retard doesn't know about the global filter
>>
>>32999150
nice, i know 10 gauges are hard to come by, I've got three lol
>>
>>32996798
>Gunbroker has shit thats like $200 market

That's because they're antique shotguns with damascus barrels meant for black powder loads. Shoot modern smokeless powder through one of those and you'll blow up the barrel eventually.
>>
>>33000960
That makes sense- in a comment above I was asking about that issue. The listings don't really say if the guns can take modern loads or not.

Is there a quick and dirty way to tell if a scattergat can handle hotter loads or do I just need to ask/dig around the internet for each of these (sometimes obscure no-name) peices?
>>
>>33000960
>>33002661
If I do ask on gunbroker- what's the likelihood of someone lying to me about it? Is it common for people to say anything to sell or do people not lie about important things like that?
>>
>>33002661
If it's cheap, especially on GunBroker, it's old and will likely kaboom.

Just buy a pump. They are remarkably cheaper and safer than a double.
>>
>>32996798
If you want to do this, get a single shot.
>>
>>33002698
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/620598982

something like this? $75 is pretty cheap
>>
>>33002972
Exactly. Iver Johnson, h&r, Baikal any of those make strong cheap single shots that are plenty of fun and safe and cheap enough to mess around on
>>
>>33004414
Cool- Thanks! I'll do my research and find one that looks good. At this rate I may just opt for a pump.

DESU I wish dubs were still cheap and viable, it'd be nice to have different kinds of shot/maybe a slug in a barrel for different situations I may encounter. I was thinking #5 or #6 in one and buck in the other would be ideal.
>>
>>32996309
Pump guns are cheaper. Like, a good pump gun will cost half as much as a shitty double barrel.
>>
>>33002972
Walmart has the wood 28" ones for $99
>$75 is pretty cheap
that is the starting bid.
>>
>>33004791
So if I buy a pump, what kind of barrel/choke do you guys recommend? DESU I was looking at a double to figure out what I wanted in a pump. Still plan on doing the same things (blamming squirrels)
>>
>>33006371
Lots of new Mossberg 500s will come with a 26" hunting barrel and an 18.5" home defense barrel. And swapping them takes 10 seconds. Loads and choke is gonna depend on terrain, target, and distance. Play around until you get what you want. 12 gauge is cheap to play with.
>>
bump for interest
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.