[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, how bad did I fuck up? Earlier today I bought pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: GB31002074nw.jpg (54KB, 1500x671px) Image search: [Google]
GB31002074nw.jpg
54KB, 1500x671px
Hey /k/, how bad did I fuck up?

Earlier today I bought pic related at Cabela's for $20. I found it was kind of dull out of the box, so after using my sharpening stone to sharpen the edge, it seems to be pretty decent, at least a chopping through thick cardboard stacks I made to simulate small logs. I haven't gotten the chance to use it yet in the woods, but I will be this weekend.

I already ordered a SOG kukri instead, for about the same price.

I know I can get a better kukri for more money, but I'm also looking to start a bit of a collection, and I'm considering just keeping the Gerber as a carving blade. I just can't seem to find a positive review of this Gerber kukri though, although its grip is pretty nice, and it feels great for chopping. I also have a 13" SOG machete, which has been a great machete for me, so I'm hoping the SOG kukri is the same.
>>
>>32975896
If it's Gerber it's probably a rat tail tang at best... I'd play around with Gerber shit in the backyard but I would never rely on it for backpacking more than a mile from my car. I had a Gerber machete once and the thing was as useful as a paper weight after processing wood for one fire. Fortunately I had a folding saw that trip.
>>
>>32975896
>Gerber
>Sog
Both of them are shit.

If you really want a good kukri but can't pay Himalayan Imports price, at least get a Condor.
>>
>>32976500
condor makes garbage tourist kukris.

>>32975896
Get a kabar. It won't fail you. If you have money get a fucking torablades kukri.Don't be a cuck and fall for the 1/4inch thick kukri meme.
>>
>>32975896
>>32977256
At the 20 dollar price range you should get a cold steel kukri machete and sharpen it up.
>>
>>32977256
>condor makes garbage tourist kukris.
Tourist yeah for sure, but they are far from garbage
>>
File: Swordy thingies.jpg (219KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Swordy thingies.jpg
219KB, 2048x1536px
>>32977268
I second this. Cold Steel Machete's normally come with a bad edge, and some of them do not have the best designed handles, but nothing that can't be fixed. They are durable as hell and very nice to work with once you get it right. I also recommend the Kershaw Camp series, but idk how the durability, I have one, but I've not used it much.

Also Condor is really nice, but I don't like their Kukri design, the angle to too forward for it's length, and the grind is too thick.

Also... I'm not a fan of Gerber or SOG, more so Gerber, they have really gone down hill over the past 10 years. And SOG I kind of find lack luster. Better luck with brands like CRKT, Kershaw, Buck, Cold Steel, Spyderco, Benchmade, ect...
>>
>>32975896

>buying gerbershit
>shopping at Cabela's

Is this your first day on /k/?
>>
Kershaw camp 10. I think is the name. A Kershaw with the same shape as that thing, but sharp out the box, and lifetime warranty. Triple theprice for good reason.

Also you shouldn't be using a knife for trees and logs. If you don't have a hand saw, axe, or chain saw, don't bother. If it isn't dead and thin enough to break by hand, it isn't worth your energy.
>>
>>32977256
I definately have to agree with this Anon, Kabar makes a really awesome Kukri, feels good in the hand, and comes ready out of the box. I've used mine a lot, and it's never let me down.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.