[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know /k/ isn't my personal blog but I don't really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: ff.jpg (31KB, 1732x278px) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
31KB, 1732x278px
I know /k/ isn't my personal blog but I don't really know where else to share this. I grew up in a very liberal house where firearms weren't even a question. When I was 17 I read the book Unintended Consequences and it changed my thinking. I became very interested in firearms but had to keep it a secret. I recently moved out and am living on my own and with my meager tax return I bought my first firearm today, a Maverick 88. I purchased it primarily for HD but I am interested in shooting trap as well so I went with the longer 'all sport version'. It feels amazing to finally own a firearm and I am already looking forward to my next purchase. Just singed up for a dynamic shotgun course as well. Anyway, dear /k/ diary, I am thrilled to finally be one of you.
>>
File: benis.png (2KB, 100x147px) Image search: [Google]
benis.png
2KB, 100x147px
>>32969335
congrats
>>
File: remington870tactical.jpg (9KB, 600x232px) Image search: [Google]
remington870tactical.jpg
9KB, 600x232px
>>32969335
See if you can return the Maverick 88 and get a used Remington 870. The 870 is a better gun in every single way, even in comparison to the Mossberg 500 which the 88 is a low-cost version of.
>>
File: 1343239149295.jpg (23KB, 400x488px) Image search: [Google]
1343239149295.jpg
23KB, 400x488px
Cool man. Keep it and shoot the hell out of it, my friends who have 88s all love theirs. Even if their are better shotguns on the market, it's your first gun and you got what you wanted and can do what you want with it.
>>
>>32969335
>primarily for HD but I am interested in shooting trap
You should consider branching out and getting more accessories like barrels and shell holders
>>
>>32969335
>dynamic shotgun course
>with a long-barrel hunting shotgun
Is this a thing?

I mean congrats on your first gun purchase, welcome to the /k/lub, but good luck doing anything tactical with a hunting-length shotgun.
>>
>>32969409
>loading gate
>slide release
>>
>>32969481
There are people who do those dynamic tier 1 operator courses with M1 carbines, SKSs and interesting stuff like that

It may not be the best tool for the job, but it's a tool and can be adapted for use.
>>
>>32969499
I would actually really like to see that
>>
>>32969481
Oh yeah I knew I was taking a hit there. hey had both the HD and longer version I got on display. In the end I didn't want to limit myself because I have shot trap before and enjoyed it. I know that having such a long rifle will more than likely make some things tricky and awkward but I guess I will try to enjoy the best of both worlds
>>
>>32969335
>Just singed up for a dynamic shotgun course as well.

Good on you for willing to sign up for an instructional course especially with such a tight budget as I would imagine. There's people here that waste their money on useless gear instead of going out of their way to bettering themselves as a shooter which a course will absolutely do given that you go to a vetted instructor.

What course did you sign up for?
>>
>>32969616
I am a paramedic so in my field there are guys who will spend TONS of bullshit gear and gadgets and not on training so I tried to have the same mindset. I went with a local group, this is the specific course http://www.mdtstraining.com/training/schedule/practical-shotgun-skills-1-18/.
>>
>>32969335

be careful getting into shotgun sports.

it is innately fuddy and there is pressure to always have top tier equipment.

I've been shooting clay competitively for 12 years.

I've been through 3 guns, the lat one costing $3,500.00 and practice and tournament registration and travel gets expensive.

find some chill guys that dont mind "cheap" guns and have fun
>>
Worst case an 18" barrel is only $100
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/mossberg-500-security-barrel-12-gauge-185-bead-sight-smooth-cylinder-bore-steel-blued-finish-90015-015813900157.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn
>>
>>32969335
I also bought a Maverick for my fist gun. The shotgun is probably the best first gun to own. Congrats, you'll love it.
>>
>>32969481
>doing anything tactical
SHUT THE FUCK UP
>>
>>32969409
>op is inexperienced
>better suggest this model with questionable QC and requires you to look for ones that doesn't suck
>when op has ALREADY bought a suitable gun that does the same thing
>>
>>32971038
When I was buying the shotgun today, a random guy in the shop was saying the exact same thing (only to but new). I told him the biggest draw for the maverick was the price and after market parts. He shit on that idea and went on and on until the sales guy shooed him away. When I first saw that post I thought it was the same guy
>>
>>32969335
Don't forget to test for the most reliable ammo for YOUR 88.

Reviews are useful, but you must understand the quirks and eccentricities of the gun you have on your hands.
>>
>>32969335
You are over thinking this.
Grow up and do what you want.
>>
>>32969335
Did it come with an extra 18" barrel?
Mossberg loves to sell their shotguns as combos with 2 barrels. One 18.5" and a 28".
I suppose a 28" is better than nothing for HD, but I would have gotten the 18.5" first. You can often find un-used 28" barrels sitting around pawn shops dirt cheap. Then again I bet you could find an 18.5" with some digging as well.
>>
>>32971157
You did the right thing, modern Remington is a hollow shell of what it used to be. Even the Chinese knockoffs of the 870 are better. A Mav 88 is kinda cheap but viable.
>>
File: IMG_20170123_095253_01.jpg (2MB, 4640x2690px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170123_095253_01.jpg
2MB, 4640x2690px
>>32969335
Right there with you senpai.
Except that I went with the 18.5 inch model.
Highly recommend shooting trap. While it drains your bank over time it's extremely fun to do.
How's that book? I've been meaning to read it
>>
>>32972232
Is that stock... purple?
>>
>>32972447
Not him, but I'm going to say plum.
>>
>>32969616
Agreed

I've been selling guns for a year and it has made me want to find some good instructors and a nice outdoor range.
>>
>>32969335
I'm proud of you OP. Buying your first gun and taking a class to learn how to use it. What do you plan on getting next? I know that can be hard to decision to make.
>>
>>32973038
Thanks man. ar-15 is the dream gun but living in new york right now makes getting a legit one difficult. There is talk of repealing the SAFE act so I will hold out and see if it does.
>>
>>32972447
Yep, plum
>>
>>32969409
Or he can get an 80s mossman 500
>>
>>32973776
I'd love for that to happen. My family is from New York and my parents have a place up in the Adirondacks. I'd love to be able to bring my whole collection when I go to camp instead of having to pick and choose carefully. It's great driving around upstate and seeing all the no safe act signs still in people's yards.
>>
>>32970812
>mfw I'm getting a Maverick 88 (18.5 inch) this week for my first gun

At first I wanted the 20 inch higher capacity. Still going to shop around to see if there's one nearby, but I don't think I'll be able to beat $220 for the 18.5 in my area.
>>
>>32973776
Learn to shoot first anon, then worry about collecting.
>>
>>32969409
DON'T get a new Remington. Old ones are apparently ight.
>>
Anyone know much about old Savage pump shotguns? I saw one get sold for $110 on Gunbroker a while back and figured I'd give them another look.
>>
>>32974842
I don't have much opportunity to shoot, so I compensate by collecting. Looking forward to owning land some day.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.