[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Decided that I'm going to use my tax return to buy a cheap(ish)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

File: 500_Out_R.jpg (199KB, 1152x472px) Image search: [Google]
500_Out_R.jpg
199KB, 1152x472px
Decided that I'm going to use my tax return to buy a cheap(ish) shotgun. I have two 9mm pistols and an AR so I feel like it's kind of an inevitable first step.

I'm looking for
-12 guage
-18 or 20 inch barrell
-old school rifle butt stock
-wood finish (if possible, I don't have wood yet)

There's the maverick 88 of course, which would be the most kind to my wallet, but I'd kind of feel weird buying such a cheap gun, if I can get something a bit better with a bit more money I'll do it. Next up is the Remington 870 Express. I've heard too many shitty things about Remington and their quality control that I don't know if I want to trust anything by them. Their UMC ammo dirtied my glock the fuck up after only 50 rounds.

Finally there's the mossberg 500 which seems to have the best reputation. I'm having a hard time finding one online with the specs I listed. All the gunstores in my area are huge price gouging assholes and I don't have a car too. Could I buy one with a longer barrel and change it out for a shorter one later?
>>
>>32966903
drop the - and start using >

>old school rifle butt stock
So you mean, a pistol grip butt stock.

To be honest with you OP new production shotguns are not that great. If i were you i would go check out armslist.com.

Dont buy a maverick 88, its cheap sure but it isnt quality.

Dont buy a mossberg in the first place. Ive seen quite a few fail in field use and the design is clunky.

If you have to have a modern production i would go with a remington 870 and then buy new stock for it because modern wood stocks are shit.

If i had to make a few vintage suggestions
>anything stevens
>any A5 or A5 copy like the remington model 11
>anything Remington To be honest im a fan, ive hunted with them my entire life.
>Ithaca model 37
>some vintage mossbergs

i can go on but vintage is where its at for shotguns. For other types of guns like pistols and rifles it can be touch and go people did shotguns incredibly well.

>pic related
my mid 70s Remington 1100 from when i was rabbit hunting yesterday.

I also own a mid 70s Remington 870 and my aunt and dad also own mid 70s Remington 1100's.

I also own a 1979 Remington 572 and a 1953 Remington 760.

Most of the people i hunt with use
Remington.
>>
File: 1486754340956.jpg (102KB, 500x395px) Image search: [Google]
1486754340956.jpg
102KB, 500x395px
>>32967078
Massive RemShill spotted.
>>
File: 1414620968565.png (49KB, 143x200px) Image search: [Google]
1414620968565.png
49KB, 143x200px
>>32967078
>>32967211
Seriously... Shill away Remington marketing clone 58712
>>
>>32967078
>If you have to have a modern production i would go with a remington 870 and then buy new stock for it because modern wood stocks are shit.

Modern Production Remington is the worst fucking quality shotguns period.

Don't shill.
>>
File: lol.jpg (314KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
314KB, 1920x1080px
>>32967078
>>32967211
>>32967242

>New production Remington
>Remington
>ever

wew
>>
>>32967260
So what are decent modern production shotties?
>>
>>32967316
you see, these are just shit posters.
>>32967279
>>32967260
>>32967242
shitting on everything but offering no help or explanation.
>>
File: IMG_0615.jpg (244KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0615.jpg
244KB, 1600x1200px
Who else /Winchester/ here?

General opinion on winchesters? I like my SXP Defender a lot.
>>
>>32966903

I've been shooting shotguns almost exclusively for 12 years.

Honestly, just go get a used Remington 870. Make sure it was made before 2000 because their quality and fit and finish has tanked.

There are tons out there, and even police trade ins.

most can be had for $350-600 depending on condition and model
>>
>>32967686
I did some research on this and it seems to be a good gun, but apparently lacks any aftermarket stuff. I'll keep my eye out for one though

>>32968185

Cool. I found a used gun store that's public transitable from my place, so when my tax refund comes back I'll head over there and keep an eye out for a used 870 trade in. Otherwise I'll probably get an SXP defender or a Mossberg 500
>>
>>32968861
>public transitable
>when my tax refund comes
We all love guns here anon but buy a fucking car first. If you want the Maverick 88 of cars get an old civic
>>
>>32968886
I live in a city and don't want to deal with parking bullshit. I'll buy a car when I move the fuck out of here (which I plan on doing) but I really don't feel like it right now. Everyone I know who has a car in this area hates their life for it. I don't think not owning one should revoke me of my 2nd Amendment rights: I have a damn job, I pay my rent, I have extra money leftover for nice things.
>>
>>32968989
Just saying if you have a job and decent cashflow you should spend it getting out of a faggy city and get yourself a car. Clearly you have selective freedom syndrome since along with guns cars and non-city living are signs of freedom
>>
>>32969033
No I just choose to do things in a slightly different order. Cars need to be fed a constant diet of gasoline, insurance, and tons of maintenance issues (made worse by the ridiculous amount of potholes in this area), guns can be stored in a closet and forgotten about, cleaned and lubed in 15 minutes, and fed a steady diet of ammo, or not. I'll need a better job before I get a car, I don't like having 20 dollars in my bank account and living off ramen.
>>
>>32969076
>guns can be stored in a closet and forgotten about
>I have lots of money but can't afford gasoline or else I'll be forced to live off of 20 dollarydoos
Wew, shouldn't even be wasting my time here. I don't think I've ever tried to talk someone out of buying a gun but your priorities are fucked
>>
>>32966903
What's your price range? I've seen mossberg 500 with wood furniture and a field barrel go for about $350. I believe i got an 18.5in security barrel for about $150 back in the day.

My lgs is able to order guns directly from mossberg. So check around their website and if you find one that fits your needs write down the material number for it and see if your lgs is cool or not.
>>
File: IMG_20170205_212444254.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170205_212444254.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>32967686
I like mine.
I got it for 309$ new. It works well with whatever I put in, even with Magnum shells.
I've found that turkshit shotguns are better made than all Chinese made shotguns. Probably going to get a mossyman 500 next though.
>>32968861
Ide say whatever is cheaper between the two. For entry level they do the same and you won't be able to tell the difference aside from feeling until you out thousands of rounds through it
>>
>>32969108
>he's different then me! :^(
Poor snowflake. Did someone touch your butt on a subway in manhattan and now you afraid of the gays?

>>32966903
Go used shopping. You'll do better for the style you are looking for. Your description sounds Ithaca 37 to me.
>>
File: sinners.jpg (684KB, 2184x1706px) Image search: [Google]
sinners.jpg
684KB, 2184x1706px
>>32969488
>Carless city dweller thinks he's free
Oh I'm laughing fag
>>
>>32969230
$350 is about my max I plan on spending on it. Honestly I just want something in my measly arsenal that is loud, fun and has a lot of recoil. It doesn't need to be the perfect
hunting/tacticool/home defense gun, just something reliable, reasonably decent quality and fun to shoot.

>>32969532

Not all of us were born in montana with oper8er parents. I grew up in libcuck cities with libcuck parents and libcuck friends. Living in a city with a car is the OPPOSITE of freedom, it's a major pain in the fucking ass. My friend has $900 in parking tickets he has to pay. That's a new handgun and tons of gucci AR gear, fuck that. I'm putting away money for a big move sometime in the future where I can get out of the city and get a car at the same time, until that day comes I'm not getting one.
>>
>>32969831

impactguns has the SXP Defender on sale for 225
>>
>>32969831
Your friends a fucking degenerate, who the fuck gets 900 in parking tickets?I live in the city its not that fucking hard, Park off the fucking street.
>>
>>32966903
Mav 88 is cheap, still viable but not the best choice.

Remington anything is out of the question. Mossberg's quality has slipped a little but Remington has gone all the way to hell. If you really want an 870 buy a Chinese IAC Hawk or H&R Pardner Pump. They aren't as nicely finished but they won't come out of the box coated in rust with a failed ejector. And yes you can attach Remington wooden furniture to them.

Mossberg does still make wooden furniture but it isn't as good as their old stuff. Of course you can just swap it after buying the gun.
You can buy a 28" 5+1 cap model and attach an 18.5" barrel to it, but if you get the 20" barrel you're pretty much stuck with it. Swapping that requires changing out the mag tube which is a pain in the ass. That's because the bolt that attaches the barrel to the mag tube is in a fixed position, instead of being an open ring that the tube slips through like the Remington 870 does.

Mossberg's 590 has an open ring design like that and is generally beefed up overall. I believe it can also accept wooden furniture as well.
>>32967078
What kinds of failures have you seen in the field with new production Mossbergs?
How is a 500 clunky? Yes the forend rattles a little, but in my experience the control layout is far better, especially the tang safety and flat profile shell elevator.
>Stevens
Are you on crack? Those are cheap as shit. The newer Chinese ones are only mildly better.
>A5
I understand where you're coming from but no. The A5 is an obsolete design that's a nightmare to service. Basic cleaning sure, detail strip should never be done by a novice.
>Anything Remington
Again, old-school yes definitely. New production I've seen them come out of the box with the powder coat finish bubbling/flaking off due to rust. They are cheap, even more cheaply made than the chink knockoffs.

You seem to be getting your experience from vintage Remington which are great, but they have gone to hell since.
>>
>>32967686
Very good option. I recommend picking up a used 1300 model. Very smooth action and quite reliable. Shame the SXP is Turkish and the FN clone is fuckspensive.

But hey used 1200s/1300s are like $200-300 any day of the week.
>>32968861
Winchesters have adequate aftermarket. Not as vast as Remington or Mossberg, but they have anything you could really need. Also cheap stocks available here:
https://www.ar-7.com/Winchester-1300-stocks-forends.html
>>32970073
That's really good. I'm always a bit iffy on Turkish made shotguns but $225 isn't much to risk.
>>
>>32966903
>Decided that I'm going to use my tax return to buy a cheap(ish) shotgun.

A RETURN is what you file. A REFUND is money you receive back.
>>
>>32972014
>How is a 500 clunky? Yes the forend rattles a little, but in my experience the control layout is far better, especially the tang safety and flat profile shell elevator.
The action is clunky, and is more likely to hang up or comes an issue.
>stevens
ive handle quit a few and although they are not the bee knees they arent bad for the moeny.
>A5:Hard to take apart
pussy, i can take anything apart and put it back together. Its about time and layout. Also you dont need to clean an A5 that often unless you are doing alot of shooting.

Im certainly not asking him to go new production. New production sucks on most shotguns.
>>
>>32967686
They are turk made.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.