[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun cotton is easy to make - by comparison at least. Can it replace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

Gun cotton is easy to make - by comparison at least. Can it replace smokeless powder in SHTF for loading brass cartridges in modern semi auto guns?
>>
>>32961552
>>
>>32961552
>>32961635
>>
File: cave johnson on life and lemons.jpg (117KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
cave johnson on life and lemons.jpg
117KB, 1366x768px
>>32961552
this stuff is basically nitroglycerin impregnated cellulose/cotton iirc. seems dangerous, also what are you going to use for a primer?
>>
smokeless/gun cotton/ nitrocellulose is all the same thing.
>>
>>32961859
>also what are you going to use for a primer?

preferably regular primers, maybe match heads or mercury fulminate from cap gun ammo?
>>
>>32961552
You can but you need to fiddle around with loadings and it's still pretty dirty comparative.
>>32961902
Armstrong mixture is very corrosive and so is mucury fulmite, also much more toxic. Not like you really have a choice at that rate though as lead styphnte is a bitch and a half to make
>>
>>32961965
we are talking shtf here, beggars can't be picky. you're free to suggest better alternatives. I tried filling up a spent primer, after beating back the pin dent, with cap gun ammo an made a blank cartridge with little powder and a regular cork wad. it was able to ignite the powder.
>>
I think it's called The Ammo Channel on youtube, where a guy talk about exotic ammo and shit. He had a short series on using match heads instead of gun powder and came up with some extremely rudimentary load data. Message him and see if he'll do gun cotton.
>>
>>32961859
Nitroglycerin impregnated cellulose = dynamite.
>>
>>32961859

Similar process to make it, but you use cotton instead of glycerin. And some other differences. I never made nitroglycerin, but we made gun cotton for demonstration purposes. The kids loved it.

> My panicked face the other lab tech casually dumps the nitration solution into the lab sink once we were finished
>>
>>32961552
If you are to the point where you have to make shit like that then black powder will be easier to deal with.
>>
>>32961902
If you can stockpile primers, why can't you just stockpile ammo?
>>
File: n-HOUSE-628x314.jpg (30KB, 628x314px) Image search: [Google]
n-HOUSE-628x314.jpg
30KB, 628x314px
>>32962407
>If you are to the point where you have to make shit like that then black powder will be easier to deal with.

Depending on circumstance, BP can be more difficult to make and has considerable disadvantages like smoke and fouling.

>>32962409
you'll have to use what's on hand. I'm bouncing ideas off of k here. play along.
>>
>>32962030
Channels been dead for over two years.

Look for the /pyro/ board in 8ch
>>
>>32962451
Maybe you could scrap other rounds and jury-rig their primers into your proper brass.

How long are you expecting SHTF to last though? It wouldn't take long until foreign governments or local militias seize command and impose order allowing the return of production. Unless you're talking about some sort of event that wipes out large portions of the civilian population, the collapse of any bureaucracy wouldn't stop production for very long. I'm sure moderate stockpiles of ammunition would hold out easily.

If not, if trade and industry are completely kaput and not coming back for many years, then you need to figure out local industry. Look up how they did it in previous centuries, and learn that so you can direct the implementation of that industry in your region after a local militia imposes order.
>>
>>32961859
>this stuff [guncotton?] is basically
>nitroglycerin impregnated cellulose/cotton
Not even close, Anon.
It's nitrated cellulose/cotton.
Lrn2gun-chemistry fgt pls
>>
>>32962573
>How long are you expecting SHTF to last though?

Endless civil war.
>>
>>32962762
I don't think there is any applicable precedent for that. It would be no more than a few months.
>>
>>32962762
>>32962981
>>32962573
Order returns relatively quickly, but it would be a lot longer before industry/logistics returns
>>
I've always wondered exactly how one would go about making their own percussion caps for BP revolvers.
>>
At the point where you need to make this crap, other weapons will be more efficient, both in manufacture and use.
>>
>>32961552
if you can make guncotton you might as well go whole hog and make poudre Blanc
>>
>>32963383
mercury, nitric acid, 190 proof ethanol
>>
>>32963457
So, stockpile mercury and nitric acid?
>>
>>32962981
>>32963322
How long have Syria and Ukriane been happening? how long did Vietnam last? Bosnia? Sure, best bet would be to have 1000 spamcans somwhere and be shooting/selling them in an In/out fashion but who can do that?
>>
>>32963609
How many people in Syria and Ukraine are making their own ammunition?
>>
>>32963733
>How many people in Syria and Ukraine are making their own ammunition?

Not many, but they are making lots of other things, armored vehicles, guns, artillery shells and drones armed with homebrew grenades. Don't discard the idea so easily.
>>
>>32963517
Go for it.
Fulminates and mercury compounds are both easy ways to die. The more people kill themselves the easier it is for the rest to survive.
>>
>>32961552
if you've run out of common calibers you're prob fucked as is.

the process of making bullets is a long and arduous one. Instead of worrying about the powder/cotton, worry about the primers, worry about the bullets, worry about the cases. unless you're running some kind of factory, tackling just one of these issues isnt going to do you much good.
>>
>>32963844
>strawmen argument nitpicking: the trilogy
>>
>>32961879
This.

Guncotton is the primary ingredient.
>>
>>32964006
the point is, if you stuff a case with gun cottun, will it be safe to fire? what about pressure spike? shoot pistol powder in rifle ammo? Y/N?
>>
>>32964025
NO.
Guncotton was used as a high explosive bursting charge. Even et it was hazardous enough that it was replaced by picric acid of all things.
The germans tried it as a propellant for about two years then gave up because of it's instability and presure differnces causing destroyed rifles.
>>32964006
Sharing the same ingredients does not make things the same.
>>
>>32963609
all of those examples are only possible because every step of logistics are/were being supplied by other countries, otherwise all of those conflicts would have ended soon after they began
>>
>>32964279
yes. I expect a conflict in my neck of the woods to be fueled by powers far away... in fact, I expect it to be caused by said powers.
>>
>>32964025
I wouldn't shoot it out of anything but one of ruger's overbuilt-as-hell revolvers
>>
>>32961552
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JwMeUQbINI
>>
>>32964567
That ended a lot less poorly than I anticipated.
>>
For SHTF, I'm not sure nitric acid would just be lying around waiting for you to find it.
>>
>>32965818
Sulpher, lead boxes, and saltpetre
>>
>>32965894
You haven't convinced me
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.