[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best <$600 workhorse shotgun? I'm helping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

What's the best <$600 workhorse shotgun?

I'm helping my girlfriend's mom go gun shopping tomorrow; she owns a farm and wants a general purpose gun to help protect her animals/home, so I recommended a 12ga because of versatility. Unfortunately, I don't know a hell of a lot about shotguns.
>>
File: 2016-03-14 05.03.56 1_resized.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-14 05.03.56 1_resized.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
>>32959145
Mossberg 500 with new old/refinished wood furniture, sling mount, light, replace trigger housing with metal trigger housing, replace safety with enhanced metal safety, be able to use any Mossman 500 length barrels you want.
>>
>>32959145
Just get an AR. Less unwieldy for an older woman.
>>
>>32959145

Cheapest? Second hand Mossberg 500, most likely.

My opinion? Low to mid 20"-ish smooth barrel 12ga with slug type sights. Any brand, really.
>>
>>32959145

if she's not experienced with guns, anything more than low brass target loads from a semi auto might be too much recoil for her.

As much as I love and promote shotgunning, even to women, giving a pump gun full of slugs or buckshot to her is a bad idea.

I'd really just recommend something like a mini-14 or a bare bones ar-15.
>>
>>32959160
>Just get an AR. Less unwieldy for an older woman.

this was my first suggestion but apparently she wants something that can take on bears.

obviously I'm gonna tell her not to shoot at bears, but the option to use slugs and birdshot is still very attractive for farmwork.
>>
>>32959176
>>32959160

Good points.

Why a shotgun, OP?
Area laws?
>>
>>32959176
>if she's not experienced with guns

problem is, I'm not actually sure. She owns a glock and used to own a plethora of rifles back in the day; my plan was to get a recoil-absorbing stock to go with it.
>>
>>32959159
How much would one of those cost with wood furniture?
>>
>>32959159
What about the 590?
>>
>>32959188
>>32959176

if black bears are the question, you dont need to really worry bout shooting at one.

grizzlies on the other hand are differ.

if basic .223 isnt an option, Id personally recommend a gas op semi auto 20ga.

Browning Gold/Silver Hunter
Remington 1100
and others

can alll be had second hand for ~$500

slugs will be much more manageable and still effective
>>
>>32959216
If you want a heavier barrel and don't want to be able to swap different length Mossberg 500 barrels, sure.

But replacing the trigger housing and spring pretty much put you at a 590, save for the heavier barrel.

>>32959209
I got the wood furniture from Numrich's for pretty cheap I think I paid around $40 for the stock and forend. But they were in shitty condition so I stripped, sanded, and refinished them.

I also had to cut the length of the stock to fit the rubber buttpad.
>>
>>32959220
>>32959197

in that case, try and get her to test out a 12ga pump with 2 3/4" slugs and see how she handles it.

if she can manage the recoil and work the pump, get the 12ga pump.

its a tool gun not a range gun....she wont be shooting 200 shells a week like the women I've taught.

so,

Remington 870
Mossberg 500

are the popular ones, but honestly, for a non gun nut and a situational gun, any functional gun for your price will do.

I love my BPS
>>
>>32959262
>But replacing the trigger housing and spring pretty much put you at a 590, save for the heavier barrel.
Would you recommend me a 500 or 590 starting out. I too want to get a shotgun for the range and my house.
>>
>>32959294

I've been shooting shotguns almost exclusively for 13 years and Id recommend an older 870.
>>
>>32959145
benelli supernova ghost ring w nordic components extension. or 870 top folder ati.
>>
>>32959294
You can't put any longer barrels on the 590, so that means no slug barrels, no skeet/trap setups. The 590 can't accept the 500 barrels. Really if you don't mind swapping out the trigger housing and safety which is easy as fuck, get the 500 and then you can use any 500 barrel you want.
>>
>>32959145
Betty Lou
>>
>>32959145
M&P15 because shotguns excell at nothing but bird hunting and door breaching.
>>
>>32959220
Wasr 10/63 then. Shit, an SKS would be better. You managed to pick the hardest weapon to use you could find.
>>
>>32960202
that show was the shit
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.