[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the law's stance on traps? I'm not talking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

File: Spike-Traps-2.jpg (203KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Spike-Traps-2.jpg
203KB, 1024x768px
What is the law's stance on traps?

I'm not talking about landmines (illegal, obviously) or just nailing spikes to everything (even on your property, you can't have open pits and such.) More like a gun over a door, attached to a machine that can pull the trigger with the push of a button, or something that can shock or impale someone trying to break in.

I mean, if you're pretty sure someone is trying to break in and you're afraid for your life, are you stuck with the choices of confronting them, waiting for the police to arrive, or trying to hide? Or can you just pull out your smartphone, bring up your TempleOfDoom app, and switch on the circuit while the hose starts spraying, disable the safety on the trap door, and activate your kludged-together sentry turret, all from the safety of your bedroom?
>>
>>32943369
But OP Traps are gay
>>
>>32943369
Traps are illegal as they are indiscriminate. Door gun can't tell that's a firefighter coming in to save your fat ass when you choke on tendies.
>>
>>32943369
So, if the trap is automated (like there's a tripwire or something), you're going to jail. You won't be able to prove that you were in fear for your life because you yourself did not act in defense. An inanimate object did the action.

By that same token, even if you just flipped a switch that activates a rifle attached to a spinning turret or something, you're still probably going to jail because YOU did not know what/who you were shooting at. Positive ID is pretty important.

Now, if you had a gun hooked up to a camera or something, a la CROWS system, I really don't know how that would turn out in court simply because -as far as I know- there's no precedence for it.

What trap did you have in mind?
>>
File: 1484441849666.png (354KB, 594x593px) Image search: [Google]
1484441849666.png
354KB, 594x593px
>>32943369
>>
File: MG_LV2.jpg (289KB, 1000x673px) Image search: [Google]
MG_LV2.jpg
289KB, 1000x673px
>>32943459

Well, let's say an improvised turret. Gun + camera + microphone.

Suppose I have enough mechanical skill to rig up a machine that can hold a gun, aim it, take off the safety, and pull the trigger. This is all controlled remotely by my tablet.

And while snoozing at home, my alarm goes off, and I see through the camera that someone masked and armed is trying to break down my back door. I turn on the app, take off the safety (and the program automatically begins recording, for legal purposes) and announce through a speaker that if they don't leave, I'll shoot them (or whatever is appropriate)

They ignore me and continue, and I push a button. The gun fires, the would-be intruder gets shot.

Police arrive later, I hand them the recording.

What happens?
>>
>>32943369

http://www.casebriefsummary.com/people-v-ceballos/
>>
>>32943628

you go to prison

you were not in fear for your life and were not justified in executing the burglers

see:

>>32943658
>>
File: Untitled 14.png (2MB, 1200x1728px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 14.png
2MB, 1200x1728px
>>32943369
Traps are gay
>>
>>32943628
youre life is not in immedate danger, self defense and castle doctrine do not apply.
>>
tons of cases about this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katko_v._Briney
>>
>>32943666

So until the armed intruder is actually in a position to put a bullet in my skull, I can't do anything about it?

That's just great, satan.
>>
File: 1421241441018.gif (4MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
1421241441018.gif
4MB, 350x197px
>>32943628

"I was afraid for my life judge, I was 50 miles a way at the time of the breaking dicking around on my tablet, but boy was i scared"

won't wokr
>>
>>32943666

That's a really dumb law.
>>
>>32943685

>>someone's trying to break into my house
>>I'm at home
>>50 miles away

That's a big house.
>>
>>32943669
>Briney replied, "There's one thing I'd do different, though: I'd have aimed that gun a few feet higher."

kek
>>
>>32943369
Jesus fucking christ.
Two retarded traps threads inside 1 hour?
You know exactly what you're asking and why it's idiotic.
Get fucked.
If you're that bored, go to /b/.
>>
>>32943672
>So until the armed intruder is actually in a position to put a bullet in my skull, I can't do anything about it?
>That's just great, satan.

you can't execute people by remote control for something as trivial as theft

yes you have to be in fear for your life, you can't be judge jury and executioner via remote control for breaking and entering
>>
>>32943427
/thread
>>
>>32943369
To my knowledge
Again to MY knowledge, meaning ask a lawyer, don't tell the cops to come look for me when you get fucking busted for murdering a tresspasser and say some bloke on 4chan said it was okay

But traps that are meant for people, or at least that someone can tell, are illegal in all 50 States. You can however, trap for animals like I do. Personally I just trap small game and coyotes but you could trap """bears""" if you know what I mean.
Check your local laws first, make sure to know whether or not you are required to mark your traps or post a sign or other such things, also make sure you're in season and you have your furbearers license.
Now as long as you stay legal there is nothing wrong with putting traps around the edges of your property, as long as you're not a complete fucking asshole and/or psychopath and you make sure to tell your neighbors if they have dogs or any other pets that like to wander, don't be that guy.
>>
>>32943369
Is it legal for me to have landmine warning signs posted on my property, if I don't actually have any landmines?
>>
>>32943369
This is actually an easy one. It implies premeditation to do harm to someone else. If someone falls into one, the first question will be "why the fuck did you have traps set up?" and it will be clear that you were intending to kill someone from the very start.

>>32944297
Probably not specifically but it seems like the kind of thing the police would tell you to stop, since it would both agitate normal passers-by and waste the time of investigative/policing agencies that will try to stop you from having land mines you don't actually have. Like how it's illegal to call 911 without reason.
>>
>>32943369
Nevada lets you set traps to catch rodents but it has to be like 50 miles away from a city or something.
>>
>>32944297
Yes. It's just a sign. You're allowed to stick whatever you want on your property. Beware of homeowners' association though, they infringe upon your right to do what you want with your property.
>>
>>32943369
From a practical perspective:
Traps generally don't tell friend from foe.

From a legal perspective: Just don't.
>>
>>32943664
>>32943658
This country is so fucking cucked. If someone breaks into your home you should be able to shoot them no matter what. Even if a court doesn't feel that "you're in fear for your life".
>>
>>32943369
>What is the law's stance on traps?

Absolutely no under any circumstances.
>>
File: scruffythejanitor.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
scruffythejanitor.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>32944988
Second
>>
>>32944988

I sat on a porch on frat row at 2:00 am watching a drunk white boy try to kick open the front door of a house he thought was his, but wasn't.

He sobered up right quick when the owner appeared from around the back with a baseball bat in his hand.

"Uh...I thought I live here"

"Dude...you don't."

"oh."
>>
The rule with anything, from drones with flamethrowers to a sentry gun, is that a human must pull the trigger or otherwise activate the weapon.
The law just wants someone to blame.
>>
>>32943369

Completely and utterly illegal.
>>
>>32943369
Like everything, I believe it varies by state, for instance in Texas there is a super specific law that states you can not make a trap out of a shotgun
>>
>>32943369
They are gay.
>>
File: cat boys are marxism.jpg (131KB, 603x783px) Image search: [Google]
cat boys are marxism.jpg
131KB, 603x783px
trap thread?
>>
File: 37861618.jpg (123KB, 500x417px) Image search: [Google]
37861618.jpg
123KB, 500x417px
>>32943369
>>
>>32943665
wtf is this
>>
>>32943369
I have traps up all over my land and every time I catch some cunt college kid in one of them they end up in the chipper and out my pigs ass like the rest of them. fuck you fbi
>>
>>32943369
My 2ยข.

Trapping is fine. Be a Responsible trapper and check them often. Try to make them painless traps. Trapping is fine but there are examples of guys who set them, then fail to check them. So they killed an animal and didn't harvest them. I want to shoot those pricks.
>>
>>32943427
Fuck you, I love tendies.
>>
>>32946596
...and it ended there, as it should have.

Now, imagine drunk frat boy (who I have no problem with, nor any problem with the homeowner who chases him off or calls the cops) gets shot and killed on the doorstep because some jackass wants to claim that anybody kicking his door equals valid reason to open fire.
Just my opinion, but I'd have zero problem dropping some fucker who storms into my house armed. I would NOT want to shoot some dumb college kid who is in the wrong place, or some high school retard who is trying to steal an XBox. If they put me in a position where I can't tell them from the armed bad guy, that's on them, but if I can figure it out, I'm not pulling the trigger.

Maybe just because I did stupid shit when I was young, without ever meaning any harm. Maybe because yeah, some fuckers need to be killed, and others need a lesson and a slap. Or maybe because my own son might do stupid shit I've taught him better than to do, and it would destroy me to have him die over it.

Bottom line - threaten someone, pull a gun, or get violent, you make yourself a valid target. Petty stupid shit ain't worth me killing someone for.
>>
>>32946890
It comes with the idea of owning property. How can anyone feel like they actually have freedom if they aren't even in control of the small piece of land they paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for (even if our system is really only "renting" your land from uncle sam)? Whether or not you choose to shoot him based on the reasoning you gave is your decision. But it is wrong to say that the law should dictate that choice. I've done stupid shit too and if either of us were caught by the police, chances are we'd go to jail. Criminals are responsible for the crimes they commit. That drunk kid that only deserves a slap may only deserve a slap. But he was in the wrong place by his own choices. If he hadn't drank too much and hadn't stumbled to the wrong place or chose to go onto property that wasn't theirs, he wouldn't have been in the circumstances where a homeowner was shakily making the decision of whether or not to pull a trigger.
>>
>>32943419
This desu
>>
>>32943427
At last I truly see. I never thought about firefighters coming to your house and failing in a trap. Now that you said it, it is true, it's not a good idea to set traps in your house.
>>
File: halt.jpg (9KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
halt.jpg
9KB, 224x225px
>>32943369

pic related
>>
File: 1485899494130.jpg (148KB, 792x868px) Image search: [Google]
1485899494130.jpg
148KB, 792x868px
>>32943369
I like the way you think.
>>
>>32943369
It's not gay unless they have man hands/feet and the balls touch.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.