[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What parts do I need to build a AR15 lower? Is a castle nut wrench

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: hd_mk12mod0.jpg (31KB, 997x332px) Image search: [Google]
hd_mk12mod0.jpg
31KB, 997x332px
What parts do I need to build a AR15 lower? Is a castle nut wrench required?

I only have basic tools. No punches or anything like that.
>>
I meant to say tools.
>>
>>32903832
>Is a castle nut wrench required
its recommended but you could get away with using vicegrips or something if you didnt care about the finish. other than that just a screwdriver or hexkey depending on the pistolgrip. hammer to tap in rollpins.
>>
>>32904121

You also should have a bottle of your rav drink, some good tunes. Blasting some music, getting a lil tipsy while doing a build is amazing.
>>
Don't need a castle nut wrench if you're building an A2 stock. Should have one if you're building a carbine.
>>
>>32904267
I'm building it with an A2 stock for now. Do I need a set of punches or can I get away with just trying to hammer in the roll pins? I live 15 minutes from a Harbor Freight so I can get punches there if required.
>>
>>32904752
Buy a set of punches. While you may be able to somehow get it done otherwise, your chances of fucking something up is way too high.
>>
>>32904752
you dont need generic punches for roll pins what you want is a roll pin starter punch. trying to insert roll pins with punches and a hammer is just making things harder on yourself.
>>
File: 06 Start TGd Pin.jpg (15KB, 448x336px) Image search: [Google]
06 Start TGd Pin.jpg
15KB, 448x336px
>>32904752
Watch mrgunsngear's assembly video on YouTube. I did it how he shows with a pair of vice grips with duct tape on the jaws and it was super easy. Didn't leave even the smallest scratch either
>>
>>32904882
Oh but when it comes to the castle nut I'd say definitely have a purpose built wrench. You don't need to stake it unless you're all autistic for muh milspec. I put some blue loctite under the castle nut and I'm glad I did. Made changing out the endplate for something more fancy way easier
>>
I was worried about it too my first time. Dont be. Truth is, if you are handy, you can probably build a lower with a nail and a brick.

Get a the proper sized punches, a mallet, pliers, masking tape, and a screw driver.

I like the trick where you press the pins in with a large pair of pliers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjtAPbOarU
>>
>>32903832
What handguard is that?
>>
>>32904267
Magpull's UBR happens to install like an A2 stock, if you're interested in that one.

Even with that style it might be a good idea to have an AR wrench for the different standard tightening measures, like on the end of A2 style buffer tubes.
>>
>>32903832
Just built one not too long ago
You need a nylon hammer, punches, and an armorer's wrench. These will get you through just about everything you could to for most AR's.
If you're doing it from an 80% then invest in a jig kit, it's better to do it right once than fuck up and have to buy another lower.
You can find lower parts kits online, just make sure you have everything before you start (mags to test, stock, etc.)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.