[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is using tanks as pillboxes one of the ultimate red flags for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: BattleDamage14.jpg (451KB, 993x668px) Image search: [Google]
BattleDamage14.jpg
451KB, 993x668px
Is using tanks as pillboxes one of the ultimate red flags for the quality of an army?
>>
US; In full scale invasion exercises held only a few years ago, we even used Bradleys and even Humvees as temporary pillboxes to defend hastily made FOBs.

It's a legit tactic, context depending.
>>
>>32896377
>Is using tanks as pillboxes one of the ultimate red flags for the quality of an army?

That's just a defense method.

When an ENTIRE ARMY is on the defense, that is indeed a clue that said army is badly outmatched.
>>
>>32896377
No?
>>
>>32896429
Is the context basically having adequate perimeter defense and air superioty, something which arabs can never do?
>>
>>32896995
Some of it, which make's OP's meteric invalid.

A better meteric is air superiority. That gives all kinds of tactical and strategic advantages.
>>
>>32896429
Wouldn't recoilless rifles, MG positions and TOW emplacement be better "pillboxes" since they much easier to conceal, difficult to hit and have basically the same survivability against direct fire weapons(Modern artillery can completely pulverise any AFV as well as troops so that point is moot)
>>
>>32897013
I mean, if you brought them with you, I guess, the nature of digging in tanks is that it's quick and you use what you have.
>>
>>32897013
It takes about 20 minutes for an engineer digger to make an emplacement for a vehicle. If you brought a vehicle, then voila, you've got a defensive position. That both gives you extra defense for the FOB and it helps defend a vehicle that otherwise would have been statically sitting above ground.

Really no reason not to have vehicles dig in if you have the equipment and extra time.
>>
>>32896377
Hell, no. When tactical mobility is not a requirement emplacement is a major asset. It's not like ATGM or are cover is going to miss regardless of whether it's stationary or putzing about.
>>
>>32897008
more to the point you could give arabs the equipment of the US army and they will lose to hiluxes with .50 cals

....and I wish that was a joke
>>
>>32897362
Wut?
>>
>>32897008
>meteric
wtf
>>
File: sdghhh.jpg (56KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
sdghhh.jpg
56KB, 450x320px
Israeli's used to bury captured arab tanks (mostly Soviet IS') up to their turrets and use them as permanent pillboxes.

Once the IDF got large numbers of TOW's they were abandoned, but you can still see their rusted remains all along the Egyptian and syrian borders.
>>
>>32896377
>digging an amtrac grave
>this makes the track a pillbox

We weren't even being punished, the damn dozer never showed up....
>>
>>32896377
Isn't that more of a camouflage thing? If your enemy isn't a first world country with drone surveillance it seems like a sound tactic. Just hide it, back up and fuck shit up if the enemy comes by.
>>
>>32897528
29 palms?
>>
Short answer yes, long answer no.

Hasty fortifications of armored vehicles is a viable and legitimate tactic to set up a defensive line... however any military on the defense in the modern conventional combat is pretty much fucked.
>>
>>32897528

It probably did but someone probably told them to go somewhere else while you were working as you were halfway there already.
>>
>>32897798
yup

>>32897854
The sumbitch did end up coming, not before I dug 4 graves that is...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.