[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a SA/DA revolver a viable conceal carry? I'm looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: ruger-sp1011.jpg (44KB, 618x343px) Image search: [Google]
ruger-sp1011.jpg
44KB, 618x343px
Is a SA/DA revolver a viable conceal carry?

I'm looking to get a handgun for self defense purposes, and I'd be lying if I said I dont have a hard on for revolvers.

My friend has a .22 revolver, but I'd like to have something with a bit more kick like a .357. Its a meme but it has stopping power.

Any other conceal carry weapons you goys would recommend?
>>
The SP101 is a great choice, since it's heavy enough to mitigate the recoil and large enough to use decently. They also come with adjustable sights, or a 3" barrel for decent performance if you want. I'd highly recommend the 3" version.

The trigger sucks ass though, and if you don't practice you will find yourself short stroking it in fast fire.
>>
File: wm_8084215.jpg (342KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
wm_8084215.jpg
342KB, 2048x1536px
First off, understand that there are many pros to revolvers, but the major con will always be capacity. No matter what revolver you find there will be a semi-automatic handgun that carries nearly twice the capacity in similar weight and size. It's okay to carry a weapon because you have a hard-on for them, like Makarov's are whatnot, just accept the cons of it.

Now that you've accepted that con, you need to realize the importance of placing your shots and being disciplined with only 5-6 of them. Regardless, if you carry any handgun you are still better off than the majority of people. Most people only have to pull their weapon to end a potential threat. Although I wouldn't count on only pulling it.

For a revolver with concealed carry purpose, my vote is for a Ruger LCR in .38 +P, or a S&W Airweight in .38 +P.
.357 ballistics in snubbies aren't worth the trade off of .38, and follow up shots will be damn near impossible.
If you want something a bit bigger with six shots, Ruger SP101 3" in .357, that way you can fire .38's as well.
>>
>>32873854
>>32873879
thanks guys, good shit to digest.
>>
>>32873642
.357 mag is not a fucking meme
>>
>>32873642
>Is a SA/DA revolver a viable conceal carry?
Hell yeah man, why wouldn't they be? As long as the capacity doesn't concern you go for it.
>>
>>32874007
It is in 2-2.5" barrels, just about in 3" as well.
>>
File: IMG_0077.jpg (612KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0077.jpg
612KB, 1600x1200px
>>32873997
No problem. 3" is the perfect tradeoff between concealability and still having decent performance. One downside is it's a lot harder to find hoslters as well.

I would've gotten one, but on my 21st the gunshop only had ONE SP101 in stock.
>>
>>32873642
Get the .357 in 3"...but realize you are better off loading it with .38 spl+P

.357 mag is expensive and recoils heavy, you are going to use .38 spl because it's so much cheaper and feels like .22lr out of a beefy thick Ruger .357 mag pistol.
>>
>>32873642
Try a nice small (but not TOO small) revolver and a nice small (CZ-82 or Makarov sized) semi auto.

Pick whichever you're more accurate with.
I highly recommend a .357 because you have a few extra kinds of ammo available for training and emergency use.
Everyone here is recommending the Ruger SP101 and you should try it but also consider that they're now offering the LCR in .357 apparently.

Either way enjoy what you get and practice more frequently than you think you ought to.
>>
>>32874540
Oh, also, reloads aren't that bad on revolvers if you have either a speedloader or speed strip.

Just don't try to do what they do in the movies. Just follow Miculeks' revolver reloading advice and hold the cylinder with your right hand , thumb through the frame, and load with your left hand.
>>
>>32873642
I have a smith 637. I put bigger grips on it for comfort, but other than that, it's been a great gun. Had to pull it once for defense. Capacity wasn't an issue because the dindus ran off. I alternate between that and a PPK/s. Are there better guns? Sure, but carry what you're comfortable with and what you like.
>>
They make an sp101 in .327 Fed Mag now too. You get 6 rounds with the performance of a good 9mm with less recoil.
>>
>>32873997
The LCR comes in .327magnum with a 6 round cylinder but they're going to be more expensive than the 38's. Much easier to shoot though and you can practice with .32's. The LCRX variant is the one with an exposed hammer for SA.

The SW 642/442 is the easiest smith 38 to get your hands on but I think the grip and trigger on the LCR is better.
>>
>>32873879
The SP101 is only 5 shots, you need to get the .327 magnum (in either gun) to have 6

>>32874007
It is out of a sub 4" barrel.
>>
>>32873854
I CC a sp101 in .357 mag.
It is very reliable, but there are malfunctions that can happen. Namely, if it gets dirty. The rule of thumb is that autoloaders hold up to abuse, but revolvers hold up to neglect.

I like the 3" barrel. It is a great camp gun, but it also is viable as a CC if you have a sturdy holster.
>>
>>32874844
>>32875387
Does Smith make a .327 mag?
>>
>>32873642
M85
Affordable and goes bang every time
>>
>>32876600
>Zastava M85
I wanted one for the longest time but couldn't find anywhere that sold them...

I then turned to the Alfa projekt series but they don't seem to have any in the US currently.
>>
File: DSC_6721.jpg (275KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6721.jpg
275KB, 1024x683px
>>
>>32876621
I was referring to the Taurus 85 mate.

But yes, I feel your pain
>>
>>32876746
DAMMIT.
>>
>>32873854
Yeah, on average Ruger triggers are not as crisp as Smith&Wesson...though sometimes, randomly Rugers have great triggers, I was finger fucking a Match Champion and was not impressed, but just for the heck of it I picked up a regular blued GP100 and felt amazing and even looked better put together save for a minor scratch on the blued finish.

Bought the plain Jane GP100 over the Match Champion.
>>
Anyone have a S&W 442? Can you carry it in your pocket?
>>
3" or less barrel aint worth it, get a 9mm with +p
>>
>>32876889
There is an SP101 with a 4" barrel the intended audience is self defense for hikers or fishermen

However, I've walked around town IWB carry and it really didn't feel any heavier or bulkier than a 3" revolver, a colt commander or a Glock 19.

If you really want to milk the best performance out of a .357 magnum for a CC then I'd say get the 4" SP101
>>
File: 625 ft-lbs.jpg (407KB, 1438x793px) Image search: [Google]
625 ft-lbs.jpg
407KB, 1438x793px
>>32876943
Muh homediggles!
>>
Seeing as there are quite a few knowledgeable folks here, is there anything that y'all would recommend for "boot carry"? I've wanted a tiny framed revolver to stick in my western boots for shits and giggles for a little while now
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.