[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the cold steel machetes good? I plan on getting one as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2220.jpg (63KB, 750x717px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2220.jpg
63KB, 750x717px
Are the cold steel machetes good?

I plan on getting one as well as an accusharp to fix the edge
>>
>>32870405
>accusharp to fix the edge
You mean to wreck it?
>>
>>32870432
Nah they barely come with an edge. I've tried using a stone to touch up the edge of another machete I had but after like 30 minutes of work it didn't change anything. Even a file barely made a difference.
>>
File: Ima weaboo too.jpg (63KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ima weaboo too.jpg
63KB, 800x600px
I have been using Cold Steel Machete's for years. I started with the 24" Latin, then a Cutlass Machete, and then the Chines War Sword Machete (pic related). I also bought like the Panga and some other cheap ones to give as gifts.

Pros
-Very good steel and temper
-Extremely Durable
-Easy to work on
-Coating does prevent rust

Cons:
-Some models have a lot of shock in the handles
-The coating is not pretty
-A lot of them used to come very dull, but new ones come better.

I highly recommend them as fixer ups. They are great if you get a good set up.
>>
>>32870455
I'd sooner buy a 1200 grit ceramic rod for knife sharpening and use that. You won't achieve perfection, but it'll be damn sharp.
>>
>>32870743
How did you sharpen them?
>>
>>32870989
I have a cheap ass harbor freight 30" belt sander that I use for Machete's, axes, lawnmower blades, cleaners, ect...Pretty much anything I want a convex edge on.

I start with 220 grit belts, than 600, than 1000, and then a leather stropping belt with green compound.

I'll take a pic when I get home.

A cheap alternative to it is putting sandpaper over a large mouse pad and wet sanding the edge, it will take longer, but you can get the same results, minus the stropping.
>>
I have the kukri one and it sucks. It was made in South africa. No idea about other models. I stick with mil-spec Ontarios.
>>
They are great for the price. If you are worried about how it looks with the finish then you're buying a machete for the wrong reasons. They have tons of options and last a decent amount of time. Just buy it.
>>
>>32871099
I would say stay away from the 1095 ones, I've seen them snap, 1095 is less than ideal for a machete. 1045-1075 is better.

What is your problem with the Kukri other than "it sucks", edge, blade shape, handle?
>>
>>32870405
Get a condor machete instead, much better quality
>>
>>32870405

Machetes are meant to be cheap garbage that you don't care if it is rusty or dull as long as it works.
>>
Love my garden and camp machete, accusharp works with it great. (2mm) This is the best machete design I think, little shock and lots of endurance.

The CWS is much thicker at (2.8mm) the profile doesn't match up as good in the sharpener and haven't had it sharp enough to chop much better than the whippy speed of the garden and camp.

Both are 1055.
>>
>>32871189
Well, I own real kukris so that's what I'm comparing to I guess. Totally different animals. Also the blade angle is relatively dangerous when chopping through brush, just a little too much over swing and you are "kuked".
>>
>>32870405

No, they are shit Cold steel machetes are shit, I bought one and it was not sharp at all out of th ebox and even after sharpening would barely hold an edge. Even wal mart machetes are probably sharper.
>>
>>32871343
Nicking the Garden and Camp on steel and rock and concrete, the steel performs great. Swinging wisely, sharpening in the field is not necessary.
>>
cold steel is usually mall ninja tier.

if you want a real machete for cheaper get a brazilian tramontina. myerco is also decent.
>>
EVERYTHING COLD STEEL IS GOOD YOU CAN CUT A PIG IN HALF WITH COLD STEEL ANYTHING COLD STEEL IS LOVE COLD STEEL IS LIFE
>>
If you're going to get a machete, get a good one.

http://www.condortk.com/products-type.php?type=2

I suggest the Condor Golok.
>>
>>32870405
The edge on mine rolls constantly. My harbor freight machetes are better.
>>
>>32870989

The first sharpen takes a while. You can speed it up with a grinder.

I use a file. My guys use files. Our cutlasses are our primary tools and all you need is a file and 5 mins.

All this 200 grit this and 600 grit that is nonsense. You can get them sharp enough that you barely have to put any effort to cut hardwoods, with a file
>>
File: 20170203_171840.jpg (2MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
20170203_171840.jpg
2MB, 2976x2976px
>>32871497

File in question
>>
>>32871405
I've got a myerco. It's so thick and heavy, I find it works better for hatchet duties better than trailblazing through briars. Took alot of work with an ax puck to get the edge usable.
>>
Ontario machetes are the only acceptable answer
>>
>>32871349
>comparing a cheapo 20 dollar cold steel kukri to a real 150 dollar+ kukri
Found the retard
>>
>>32871405
Seconding the ups for Tramontina.
A dependable, beater machete.
>>
>>32871334
Well you should care about sharpening it if it is dull... If an object is meant to cut, being sharp is a significant helper.

Unfortunately most sub $70ish machetes come really dull now a days, and it's not fun to use a dull machete, it's not nearly as effective and it causes more shook that hurts your hand more.

I keep all of my machetes sharp enough to just barely take hair off the arm.
>>
>>32871353
As someone who has owned a walmart machete and a few Cold Steels, I have to disagree. Walmart machetes are just shit in every way, after not much normal use the handle cracked off of mine and the blade started to bend.

The Cold Steel ones do come very dull (The newer ones are starting to come actually sharp, burred, but sharp), but their edge holding is about average for the price point.
>>
>>32870405

Get the ones with a chrome finish and wood handle

They don't rust as easily and they are earlier to sharpen.
>>
>>32871635

Those Gerber gators wit the saw edge and super thin blade are garbage

Our archery club had 6 when they were clearing trails, and none of them lasted more than 3 days before the edge peened over or chipped off

Steel 's too stuff and too thin
>>
>>32871610

You know someone has no idea when they are there hacking away and the thing is ringing like a bell
>>
File: Cold Steel Cutlass Machete.jpg (335KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Steel Cutlass Machete.jpg
335KB, 2048x1536px
>>32871440
How thin are you sharpening them???? I keep my cold steels at around 25 degree (convex) which is kind of thin for a machete, and very much thinner than the factory geometry, and even abusing them against hard wood I've never gotten a roll. At most a dent and some small chips from accidentally hitting a rock.

Pic related is a small chip I've yet to clean up on my Cold Steel Cutlass Machete
>>
>>32871676
Exactly... If it's not biting it, either you are trying to cut something too hard/big for a machete, or your machete is too dull
>>
>>32871556
Yeah. Retard here. I agree. Apples to oranges. Cold Steel kukri still sucks ass. Makes a better entrenching tool than a machete.
>>
>>32871539
Second that. Best balance for widest array of uses/environments.
>>
>>32872012
Just because you compare a budget beater kukri to expensive nice kukris and your too retarded to even sharpen the cold steel kukri that advertises that it comes with a utility edge doesn't mean the cold steel sucks ass. It does what it does at a price that most people can afford and it works perfectly fine.
>>
>>32872261
I didn't say that I mine is not sharp as fuck. If you know how to sharpen you sharpen. It's just better for gardening than most machetes. I'll give you that.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.