[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is .380 for concealed carry? I'm thinking of getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: bersa thunder.jpg (166KB, 639x450px) Image search: [Google]
bersa thunder.jpg
166KB, 639x450px
How is .380 for concealed carry? I'm thinking of getting pic related, because I like the size, way it feels in the hand, and the fact that I'd have 16 shots of it.
I have heard complaints about .380 being underpowered though, though the gun should be a soft one to shoot right? Possibly I could convince my mother to finally learn to shoot.
>>
File: bt380007copy.jpg (156KB, 640x401px) Image search: [Google]
bt380007copy.jpg
156KB, 640x401px
>>32860794
Bump
>>
>>32860794
.380 ACP is good for CC.
>>
>>32860794

.380 is adequate
>>
>>32860794
i bought the CC model, and it's really slick. only thing I don't like is the magh release location. It's perfect because you really can accidentally hit it, and honestly in 99.9999% of self defence situations you won't be going through mag after mag, but it's an awkward position to hit when shooting normally/for fun.
>>
ive heard bersas metallurgy is garbage and the frames crack fairly commonly
but in regards to .380, it seems perfectly capable, i plan on getting a ppk/s for CC
>>
.380 is the smallest sufficient caliber for self-defense. Extra care should be taken to choose a defense load with adequate penetration, which means many people choose FMJ over JHP.
>>
>>32862092
>many people choose FMJ over JHP
Is it really that bad at penetrating that it makes that necessary?
>>
A .380 on your person is better than 500 guns at home in a self defense situation.

This is someone who's daily carry is a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a pocket/ankle holster.
>>
I hear these bullets are the best for .380 carry ammo. They don't under penetrate like HP but leave larger wound cavities than FMJ.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/pages/xtreme-penetrator
>>
>>32862551
Got any testing results for the .380 line specifically? Or just tests for various types of .380 in general?
>>
I have the single stack version, and it feels great to shoot. Good trigger, low recoil, slim profile. The frames are aluminum so they will wear out eventually and some of the tooling is subpar. They have a break-in period before you're supposed to load hollowpoints, but that's because the dipshits paint the feed ramp on the frame so just polish the thing and clean it out before shooting it. You can also pop the mag disconnect spring out if you unscrew the right grip panel. Some people have an issue where a spring in the trigger will pop out and jam the slide closed, haven't seen that. I wouldn't carry one of these myself because it choked on hollowpoints and it's a little large for deep conceal. The safety is a decocker combo so you have to disengage it to carry DA, no safety on SA carry. The thing is kind of a pain in the ass to reassemble, I'm spoiled with my Ruger.

Concerning .380, it's fine for SD but the ammo you pick is critical. A .380 will penetrate just as well as a 9mm in FMJ, but it lacks the energy required for any hollowpoint to pentrate and expand reliably. There are maybe 2 ammos that really perform well, the best being Hornady XTP. You can try Corbon Powrball but after what I've seen a fmj is going to go straight through most targets including bone. You'll be fine if you aren't shooting at armor.
>>
>>32863914
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX3gpJ-GAy0
>>
>>32862351
People just don't know to look up tests on YouTube. The are plenty of jhp that get enough penetration
>>
>>32864247
Great resource, check it out OP.
>>
>>32860794
Buy good ammo and it works.
>>
>>32860794
the bersa thunder is also p light and small so the felt recoil will be pretty similar. In fact i feel the bersa bites quite a lot more than my glock 19
>>
>>32861957
I also have the bersa thunder 380 cc

it is fun
I've got around 500 rounds down the pipe. Only problem it has is my cheapshit 10rnd mag always FTF on the last 2 rounds regardless of ammo. But the two factory 8 round mags run flawlessly. Stupid 10 round mag.

Stupid thing is if I load the 10 with only 8, it works fine. It's just those last two rounds.
10 round mage makes it impossible to cc without printing like a mofo though, since it sticks out the bottom so far
>>
>>32862351
it is if you use junk JHP
Hornady XTP for example penetrates fine and expands fine
>>
>>32865305
Everything XTP is A1 excellent, but it's not as cheap as FTX.
>>
>>32865538
only good projectile available for 9mm Mak
FTX doesn't perform right, at least not out of micro 2" barrels
might do better from a PPK sized barrel
>>
File: PA63 cherry grips.jpg (609KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PA63 cherry grips.jpg
609KB, 1600x1200px
>>32865305
>>32865538
>>32865553
XTP 9x18mak and XTP 380 auto can go through a shoulder and still reach vitals with a 3" barrel or longer based on the gel test I've seen. I use both.
>>
>>32860794
>cant fire without mag in it
>frame lock
boner=dead
>>
>>32860794
My bersa thunder I got for $200 and is the most fun gun I own (besides my AR). I wouldn't mind carrying it but I couldn't find a kydex holster for it with the minimal searching I did. Very comfy for being so small and I can feel like bond without spending $800 on a ppk.
>>
>>32860794
.380 is solid for self-defense but I have yet to find a sidearm in that caliber that I actually liked shooting. Haven't tried too many though.
>>
>>32860794
I've heard good things about lehigh extreme cavitation rounds.
>>
>>32861877
Underrated
>>
>>32860794 I carry a LCP .380 stacked with hornady critical defense. The meme of the .380 being under powered is getting old, polymer tipped hollow points are damn good and should be recognized. The fact that the bersa has 16 rounds is insane and confidence inspiring. would definitely feel confident carrying it with some quality ammo, range time, and a decent holster/retaining clip.
>>
>>32864224
>You can also pop the mag disconnect spring out if you unscrew the right grip panel
There's a mag disconnect?
>>
>>32866515
ppks
>>
>>32864224
Is there anything to be concerned about with the frame lock or should things be fine? Is the mag disconnect just a real easy mod like that to get rid of it?
>>
>>32867993
Yes. The right side of the frame has a disconnect bar that is visible. It's very simple to remove the spring and leave the rest of the assembly alone.

>>32869015
>frame lock
I straight up forgot it existed after I unboxed it. It's a tiny little black nub, nothing is getting inside it or actuating it by mistake. Leave the key in the box and forget about it. I keep my key next to the spring so I can put it back in if I sell it. You'll need needle nose pliers and a toothpick to get the spring out, plenty of basic videos showing it off online.
>>
>>32860794
>>32861836
I guarantee you'll like the PK380 better. I handled one not too long ago and thought it was pretty fucking nice for the price, might have to get one soon.
>>
>>32870426
>8 round magazine
>more expensive
>more sharp, boxy edges to get caught on things
The only thing it really has going for it is an accessory rail I guess?
>>
>>32870426
No really, what makes the PK380 better? I'm not seeing anything that would make it more attractive.
>>
File: joannah.jpg (80KB, 353x353px) Image search: [Google]
joannah.jpg
80KB, 353x353px
>>32860794
that midget trigger guard though
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (189KB, 1390x952px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
189KB, 1390x952px
>>32871284
>he's a fatass with sausage fingers
>>
Daily reminder that 380 is just as good as 9mm with the right bullet, and only gets a bad rap from the 99% of users that run shit ammo.
>Inb4 muh one shot stop
>>
>>32872311
>muh one shot stop
I don't care what I'm packing. If there's only one guy I'm magdumping the nigga.

I could have a desert eagle on hand and that just means the guy is getting seven fifty caliber slugs in him.
>>
>>32872399
I was referring to the FBI one shot stop stats everyone seems to love bringing up.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.