[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So just how hard is it to actually make working particle guns?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: sn-LHC.jpg (254KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sn-LHC.jpg
254KB, 1280x720px
So just how hard is it to actually make working particle guns? For decades many groups have been trying it and while there are stories of working particle guns, there's very little evidence or footage of them while railguns and high energy lasers are now being used by the navy.
>>
Ask /sci/
>>
>>32852854
/sci/ is full of liberals who abhor weapon development.
>>
>>32852893
sometimes I feel sad that biggest driver of innovation and invention is war but then I think about how cool it would be to shoot a 50 pound block of aluminum at someone with electricity and it doesn't bother me much after that
>>
>>32852893
Say its for guided and projectile particle acceleration.

For....kinetic transfer of energy.
>>
File: Accelerator.jpg (1MB, 2130x1420px) Image search: [Google]
Accelerator.jpg
1MB, 2130x1420px
>>32852893
No it's not hillbilly.

Former gunsmith soon to be Chemist here.

>>32852719
The issues of power generation that holds back railguns and lasers is even more of an issue when trying to accelerate an atom to the speed of light.

Even small particle accelerators can take up an entire building. Pic related is the one at my university.
>>
>>32853211
What's the scale on that picture?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1455932879208.jpg (11KB, 561x561px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1455932879208.jpg
11KB, 561x561px
>Particles as projectiles
You mean 9mm?
>>
File: Accelerator (3).jpg (1021KB, 1138x1707px) Image search: [Google]
Accelerator (3).jpg
1021KB, 1138x1707px
>>32853402
See the silver ball thing on the far right?

This is it.
>>
>>32852719
Particle accelerators are fairly well-known physics-wise and from an engineering standpoint. The problem is the massive power-draw that they have. Superconducting magnets can draw tens of thousands of amps in order to generate fields needed to focus/bend TeV proton beams. Not to mention they need a constant source of cryogenics to keep them at the superconducting level. The development of room-temperature superconductors could easily allow for the absence of cryogenics, but power is still an issue. It is possible* to have 'portable' accelerators, but the particle beam quickly loses energy and exhibits poor accuracy from beam divergence due to space-charge effects. The higher the flux, the greater these effects are.

One could argue using radioactive sources that are of critical-mass with a system of neutron absorbers and reflectors to achieve criticality at-will. This apparatus would have a small collimator to direct the neutron 'beam' in the direction you wish it to go. The problem with this is that the user and/or the surrounding area would be exposed to very high radiation levels, likely resulting in lethal-doses to the surrounding operators. Energy loss in the beam would also be a concern, but the good thing is that beam divergence is less than the accelerators due to using neutrons. An interesting property of using neutrons is spallation of nuclei, which would 'defeat' most materials placed in the beam by causing excess radiation on the other side of the material. Additionally, materials can experience embrittlement due to this nuclear spallation; essentially the areas exposed to high-energy neutrons will be subject defects and structural changes, effectively ruining/breaking the material over time.

These are just a couple random thoughts...

>t. high energy physicist
>>
>>32852719
It's literally useless unless you're pelting them with quadrillions of particles at once in a focused manner.

In which case you're better off sending those particles as one cohesive unit.

Air resistance applies
>>
File: 1462845487112.png (142KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1462845487112.png
142KB, 292x257px
>>32853452
>>
>>32853632
>The problem is the massive power-draw that they have. Superconducting magnets can draw tens of thousands of amps in order to generate fields needed to focus/bend TeV proton beams. Not to mention they need a constant source of cryogenics to keep them at the superconducting level. The development of room-temperature superconductors could easily allow for the absence of cryogenics, but power is still an issue.
>keep it cold
>keep it powered
Put it in space.
>>
>>32853841
>space is cold
>>
>>32853880
>heat doesn't radiate away
>>
File: Megadeth-Super-Collider.jpg (193KB, 598x600px) Image search: [Google]
Megadeth-Super-Collider.jpg
193KB, 598x600px
>>32852719
Can't believe science ripped off Megadeth.
>>
>>32853880
You don't have a goddam clue what space is like, do you? Heat dispersion is a massive problem in space. Without atmosphere and thus convection, objects can only cool via radiation. Radiation is not efficient compared to conduction or convection.
>>
>>32854204
>Heat dispersion is a massive problem in space. Without atmosphere and thus convection, objects can only cool via radiation. Radiation is not efficient compared to conduction or convection

That's what I was >implying
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.