[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

looking for advice to store 5.56 ammo. three things: 1. what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: cat_dog.jpg (67KB, 553x790px) Image search: [Google]
cat_dog.jpg
67KB, 553x790px
looking for advice to store 5.56 ammo.

three things:
1. what type of ammo is best to store? will i see any real difference in quality vs. quantity--- buying higher quality vs. cheap/bulk? what type of ammo should i store and can you recommend any (have a Daniel Defense M4 Carbine V11).

2. how should i store it, what's the basics? waterproof metal can with ammo stored in plastic ammo box? i don't particularly like the idea of dumping bulk into a can, means it's more heavy than it needs for travel. and what should i buy to throw in can to absorb water or is that overkill?

3. do i need to wear gloves when preparing ammo for storage? and do i need to clean each individual piece from bulk ammo before storing in each plastic ammo box?

any extra advice would be helpful.
>>
>>32842631
Ok OP, how long term are we talking about?
>>
>>32842679
solid 10-12 years.
>>
File: 1433232341414.jpg (112KB, 646x468px) Image search: [Google]
1433232341414.jpg
112KB, 646x468px
>>32842631
I just keep mine in a cool dry place...
>>
>>32842708

Ah, in that case I'll elaborate as I packed ammo away right after Sandyvag for "just in case" and I factored a good 30 years storage.

>1. what type of ammo is best to store? will i see any real difference in quality vs. quantity--- buying higher quality vs. cheap/bulk? what type of ammo should i store

I stored milsurp M855 (greentip), and M193 (55 grain ball) as my ammo of choice as it was cheap in bulk and its good ammo. You can get more expensive match grade ammo if you so desire but I went for the more is better in case full out ammo or gun bans were ever going to take place.

>2. how should i store it, what's the basics? waterproof metal can with ammo stored in plastic ammo box? i don't particularly like the idea of dumping bulk into a can, means it's more heavy than it needs for travel. and what should i buy to throw in can to absorb water or is that overkill?

I stored mine on stripper clips, placed in cardboard sleeves, and arranged about 1,000 rounds in a 50 cal metal ammo can with packets of silica gel (the kind you see in boxes with electronics) as well as a couple of reloading spoons to quickly load the rounds into the magazines. DON'T use plastic ammo boxes for storage, if you drop it, it will bust all over hell. I accidentally dropped one of my cans and merely dented it but the seal was intact. You can get the 30 cal ammo cans which can hold at least 500 rounds if mobility is your need.
>>
>>32842679
Continued:

>3. do i need to wear gloves when preparing ammo for storage? and do i need to clean each individual piece from bulk ammo before storing in each plastic ammo box?
>any extra advice would be helpful.

Yes, yes, and most definitely yes use gloves when handling ammo for storage, the oils and acids in your fingers could eventually ruin the brass. Also if your ammo stash gets stolen your fingerprints aren't on the casings in case some fucker uses your ammo to rob a place or kill some innocent people.
You don't need to clean every piece just use gloves before placing the ammo into the cans, and I stress metal cans for long term storage. Like I said before I use stripper clips before putting them in the cans, and make sure you throw in some desiccant and loading spoons before sealing the cans up.

One more thing, label the cans with the caliber, quantity, and date packed in case you add more to you collection and you can rotate stock.
>>
>>32842921
thank you.
>>
>>32842631
>stored in plastic ammo box?

Don't do this unless you like suddenly having to pick up 200 rounds of 5.56 from the pavement when it breaks unexpectedly on your way to the range.
>>
>>32842964
No problem.

One more thing i forgot to mention is that you need to keep these cans in a cool dry place, like in a dry basement or something.

Just out of curiosity How many rounds are you looking to store?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.