[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't the allies in 1944 just land at Stettin and push

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Atlantic_wall_may_1944_de (1).png (81KB, 960x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Atlantic_wall_may_1944_de (1).png
81KB, 960x1000px
Why didn't the allies in 1944 just land at Stettin and push straight to Berlin, bypassing the Atlantikwall and all the Western defences like the Siegfried line?
>>
Because they would have to pass trough the öresund , which at the time was controlled by germans and swedes, which would have to give up their neutrality.
it's also very difficult to cross the north sea with an entire armada and multiple infantry divisons without getting spotted or losing ships.
>>
>>32837615
I don't see Stettin on map. Being an American not familiar enough with European geography. So I'm not sure what to tell you because I don't know where that even is.
>>
>>32837697
Probably the same reason why Eisenhower didn't do it. He didn't know where the fuck Stettin was.
>>
Not OP, but but german, Stettin is north of berlin, east of Denmark. ITs basically the part of german coastline without access to the atlantic.
>>
File: frodo.png (214KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
214KB, 400x399px
Why didn't they just fly the eagles to Mordor?
>>
>>32837643
Or The Great Belt.

>>32837615
All the routes would have been extremely easy to mine, the deep sea routes are all very narrow, and could be covered from land as well.
>>
Because Tolkien was a hack writer and autist who spent more time writing fake languages, fake historical trivia, and detailed descriptions of the characters dinner rather than spending time writing a well thought out story.
>>
>>32837615

>why didn't the allies choose a supply line 100 times longer than Overlord, which was already the most intensive logistics effort in history

hard to say
>>
>>32837835

Can't blame him, world building is much more interesting than a character narrative

t. autist
>>
>>32837835
The journey is more important than ending.
>>
>>32837615
Because despite having overwhelming naval superiority in the North Sea, the RN was too pussy to ever do anything there and would rather dick around in Africa than do something as simple as BTFO of sub pens in exposed ports like Willhelmshaven because they couldn't ever figure out how to put a shit load of Bofors on their ships like the burgers did.
>>
File: grid-cell-6043-1424928806-10.jpg (57KB, 625x504px) Image search: [Google]
grid-cell-6043-1424928806-10.jpg
57KB, 625x504px
Why didn't he just give the company to Karl in the first place?
>>
>>32837615
Long sea routes, element of surprise would be lost, air cover would be weaker due to the distance.
>>
>>32837615
Yeah its not like such an invasion fleet would have to navigate tight waters filled with subs, mines, guns on all sides and completely surrounded on all sides but sweden...
>>
>>32838772
He wanted to give his son a chance.
>>
>>32837734
the same reason the Allies didn't debark at Stettin. If you have your entire country guarding one area and looking specifically for an invasion you don't knock on the front door, you send a couple of retarded midgets through the swamp while everyone pretends to be invading somewhere else.
>>
>>32838703
>the RN aircraft carriers spent the whole war in the mediterranian being scared of fucking Italians
boggles the mind
>>
The Kriegsmarine might not have been too awesome, but they had shittons of those
>>
>Encircling your own supply lines and landing in narrow corridors

Gee I wonder
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.