[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm being processed into the US Army. I did well enough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

I'm being processed into the US Army. I did well enough on my aptitude scores to qualify for a variety of POG stuff, but I've been strongly considering infantry cause I'm a poorfag for the signing bonus. I'm also bored and depressed out of my skull, I think about suicide all the time. The only shit I enjoy anymore is dicking around by taking risks on my fucken sick motorcycle or getting in fights with/for my shithead friends.

Am I stupid to want to be a grunt? Should I follow my recruiters advice and be a network node operator instead? Am I going to be hazed/shower raped for being a city kid that doesn't know shit about guns?

I know I'm asking a broad question, but I have just one more. I can't seem to find a source for casualty data. Does anyone know the odds if I'm deployed to Iraq? It's far less than 1/100 right? Either way I like rolling dice. Getting paid to bro out and shoot guns sounds fucking cool.
>>
>Iraq
shit I meant Syria
>>
>>32832925
Be an infantryman UNLESS you want to get a career in a specific field that another MOS offers. Join the army to be in the army.
>>
>>32832925
Yes. You are stupid.
Grunt life is not at all what you are imagining, and you can go a whole contract without actually kicking down even doors, let alone seeing actual combat. Enlist for the right reasons, shitbag.
>>
>>32832956
my ultimate goal is C17 Cyber Ops,
but I need top secret security clearance. I heard from several sources that unless you have no criminal history you won't get that as a civilian. So my goal is to do that on re-enlistment.
>>
>>32832982
that's cool. My main goal for infantry is that $$$$$, I'm not going to be disappointed if I'm never deployed.
>>
>>32833000
Nice trips.
If you're going for the signing bonus, make sure you get it in print somewhere, as in, get proof that you for sure are guaranteed the bonus.
And honestly, my dude, that money isn't going to matter a whole lot when you enlist. It's just a meme to get young bucks to join asap; that's why I'm saying pick a job that you strongly believe you'll like four years down the road, and maybe something with skills applicable to civilian life once you get out.
>>
Pick a branch that gives you skills civilians actually want.
>>
>>32833225
>>32833057
thats why I'm looking at the cyber ops, it's network security. Great for the private sector. Unfortunately I won't get the security clearance as a civilian with my misdemeanor arrest record and family in Iran.
Multiple sources have told me I have a good shot upon renlistment however. So my first contract is kind of a burn, which is why I'm considering infantry to maximize my earnings.

I guess I'm looking if anyone has some good points on why it would be better to be a POG instead. Is it a significantly better quality of life?
>>
>>32833312
>Great for the private sector

Spamming scripts written by other people won't get you a job more than basic IT in the private sector.
>>
>>32833347
This, I'm navy with a wanted job out in the civilian sector but I got lucky at the recruiting station. Being an IT outside isn't too bad but if you can get anything with radars, electrical systems, top secret clearance or something Intel might do you better.

My dad was Intel in navy also, got out and his top secret alone got him a pretty sweet job. It's actually part of the captain Phillips movie that came out.

Ask all the questions you can and take the recruiters words at face value. Good luck.
>>
>>32832925
Infantry is a good ride but not for everyone. I can tell you that if youre doing it for the cash then i would suggest go into another branch to use those skills outside the military...

Finance or some other gay shit..

I had a great time in the Infantry but >>32832982
is right - you might not even deploy.
>>
>>32833398
>radars, electrical systems

friendly reminder that being a navy electrician will not get you out of electricians apprenticeship, nor will it substitute for an associate's degree in anything, never mind a BS.
>>
>>32833000
lol you don't make any money being in any infantry other than special forces
>>
>>32833461
>other than special forces

topkek. you don't make any money either way
>>
>>32833476
you can actually make some decent pay.. E5 in SF with extra pay + zero rent expenses
>>
>>32833443
>friendly reminder that being a navy electrician
> will not get you out of electricians
> apprenticeship, nor will it substitute for an
> associate's degree in anything, never mind
>a BS

This is true with some military healthcare jobs, too. I'm an xray tech. There's an airforce base in our area, and our xray school would routinely get vets who were leaving the service but wanted to keep shooting xrays as a civilian. The thing is, xray school in the military is like 12 weeks, but it's over 2 years to be qualified to sit for boards and be a registered technologist (like being a registered nurse). You could be doing it for years for the service, and that's worth pretty much nothing when you get out and look for a civilian job. Our program director at the college would give them advanced placement if they had a certain number of years in...I forget just how many. That pretty much cut the school time in half, but they'd still have to do their intern year as students. I'm sure that's far from the only case of that stuff.
>>
File: puke.jpg (56KB, 576x379px) Image search: [Google]
puke.jpg
56KB, 576x379px
>>32833498
>e5
>$3147 a month after 10 years
>>
>>32832939
We know there has been at least one US casualty in Syria, and officially we have no troops there, so the casualty rate is infinite.
>>
>>32832925
Under the new management, deployment is a very real possibility. My buddy who's still in is saying that every soldier is required to be medically green nowadays. Could mean nothing, could mean something.

Personally I'd prepare for the idea of deployment- but ISIS is so fucking laughably bad at anything except killing civilians or other militia groups. Against conventional 1st world armies, they'd get fucking rocked. All you'd be doing is shooting the occasional gaggle of dipshits trying to plink at you from the back of an armored pickup.
>>
If you are depressed and suicidal, infantry is a bad idea. You will be prone to PTSD and end up as an alcoholic or drug addict..
>>
>>32832925
wat
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.