[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Left Handed firearms I'm pretty much 100% new to guns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: 0.jpg (12KB, 190x266px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
12KB, 190x266px
Left Handed firearms

I'm pretty much 100% new to guns. When I turn 21 I would like to get a concealed carry and I'm thinking of getting into hunting, I have a few friends who I could hunt with.

I'm left handed and I'm concerned about left handed stuff. For a concealed carry I would really like a revolver but left handed revolvers aren't a huge thing. This is the only one I can find https://charterfirearms.com/collections/southpaw
I can't tell if it's a decent gun. is it?
would it be overly expensive to have a gunsmith custom make a left handed one?

For hunting I would think it would be deer. for rifles I think I remember that there was a few reverse engineered rifles that looked alright.

Does anyone know anything about left handed stuff?
>>
The only guns that you'll need lefty specific versions of to use "normally" are revolvers, bullpups, and bolt action rifles; everything else works fine lefty
>>
>>32812148
won't the safety on a pistol still be on the wrong side to be able to quickly flip it off?
>>
>>32812170
Some pistols have ambidextrous safeties, or just don't have external ones at all. I'm lefty and CC a TCP 738 which just doesn't have a safety aside from its long trigger pull.
>>
>>32812148
This.

I would like to add you can use revolver/bolt actions left handed as well, it's just not optimal, more awkward to reload a revolver and to work the bolt on a bolt action. That said as a lefty I actually prefer right-handed bolt guns when shooting prone.

Bullpups are worse since they will keep hitting your face with hot brass that moves fast, I guess it's not that big of a deal in a life/death situation but for recreational shooting you definitely want to get ambi/left ejection port. Fuck L85.

By the way, cap&ball revolvers like in OP are effectively ambidextrous because you can eject the cylinder from either side.

>>32812170
Depending on the model you can usually get ambi/left handed safeties. Or you can just live without it.

Another things to consider are mag and slide release/stop. Right handed mag release is fine for lefties, you can easily hit it with your index finger.

You won't be able to release the slide with right handed slide release/stop, so you will have to slingshot it but it's preferable anyways.

Some models offer ambi mag/slide releases as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI0pBp45xv8
>>
>>32812131

If you're new to firearms, why not learn to shoot with your right?

Just because you write left-handed, doesn't mean you can't learn to shoot right handed.

>inb4 muh not comfortable argument

Learning involves doing new things, sometimes uncomfortable ones. Might as well do it right the first time, pun intended.
>>
>>32812203
>f you're new to firearms, why not learn to shoot with your right?
Because you are never going to be nearly as good with your non-dominant hand as you would be with the dominant one.

I'm lefty and can shoot with both, but still prefer to shoot left-handed. You can't cheat your brain. I mean, you can if you are forced to use your non-dominant hand from very early age, but that usually fucks your brain up in one way or another.
>>
>>32812211
>Because you are never going to be nearly as good with your non-dominant hand as you would be with the dominant one.
As cross dominant shooter, that's not true.

I also jerk off with my non dominant hand much better than my dominant hand.
>>
>>32812203
Fuck that shit, fight the rightiarchy.
>>
>>32812217

This.

>>32812211

Your brain adapts, even at a later age, despite reduced plasticity.

If you can't adapt at your current age, you're either old as fuck or have some form of mental problem.
>>
>>32812217
>As cross dominant shooter, that's not true.
This is different. As a cross dominant shooter you need to either shoot with your non-dominant hand on your non-dominant eye, eye is far more important.

>I also jerk off with my non dominant hand much better than my dominant hand.
I jerk one with the dominant hand, but it's not something I would call a skill-based task.

On the other hang I use the computer mouse with my right and the keyboard with my left just like any right-handed person would, so I dunno. Guess it depends.

You should learn to shoot with both hands anyways, but I would start with the dominant one.
>>
>>32812211

I'm ambidextrous, except for with writing, but even then, why subject yourself to the smudging torture of writing left-handed?

Same with shooting. If you're gonna learn it, learn it correctly. Why set yourself up for lifelong inconvenience? You're not a child anymore, you can do anything you set your mind to.

Are you one of those people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time?
>>
>>32812229
>Your brain adapts, even at a later age, despite reduced plasticity.
I'm not arguing that, but hand dominance is not a regular habit you can just unlearn. I know a few lefties who were forced to use their right hand during childhood and they all are kind of fucked up in one way or another. Nothing major mind you.
>>
>>32812234
As I said, I can shoot with both. I shoot better with my domniant hand.
>>
>>32812131
Learn to shoot right-handed so that your descendence from Beelzebub can be hidden.
>>
>>32812234
>>32812229
>>32812203

I'm this guy. I came off strongly. People should of course do what they want.

My only point was you should weigh the benefits.

Obviously not everyone will have it as easy.
>>
>>32812258
There really aren't that many disadvantages to shooting left handed though, very few firearms need modifications to be shot left-handed and even if they do it's not hard or expensive to get done.

Unless you want to join british military where you are forced to shoot right handed because lol L85, it's not that big of a deal.
>>
>>32812234
it doesn't matter if you're new to shooting I think because shouldering a gun right handed will still feel way more awkward and your hand eye coordination when aiming is just worse. it's not like you can just learn to do one thing specifically with your non dominant hand, its fine motor skills in general. it'd just be handicapping yourself just so some guns are easier to operate and believe me it's really not that big of an issue, I just have to swap hands when reloading a revolver and tilt a bolt action rifle over a little or use my support hand to cycle it.
>>
>>32812203
>If you're new to firearms, why not learn to shoot with your right?
Because of eye dominance you dumbass.
I can shoot either handed, but spend most of the time shooting left-handed because I'm left-eye dominant.
>>
>>32812211
That's a load of shit. I'm left eye dominant and right handed and I always used to shoot pistols left handed until I just decided to start going righty to be able to use slide releases and safeties. I shoot just as well with my left hand as I do my right.
>>
>>32812131
Are you left or right eye dominant??
>>
>>32812710
Wear an eye patch for a few days.
You're going to have to do it a lot unless you have multi monitor since 4chan makes you left eye dominant unless on a rightmost monitor.
>>
File: billy+2[1].png (177KB, 247x375px) Image search: [Google]
billy+2[1].png
177KB, 247x375px
>>32812131

http://generationstv.blogspot.com/2010/09/billy-kid-wasnt-left-handed-and-other.html

>In this picture, the rifle Billy is holding is a Winchester Model 1873. If you look closely at the gun, the loading gate (where bullets are put into the rifle) appears on the left-hand side of the gun.

>However, an observant historian eventually noted a problem with the picture: the 1873 Winchester didn’t have a loading gate on the left side—only on the right side. The picture was reversed! In the early days of photography, most negatives were produced backwards as a result of the technical process used in the first cameras. If the technicians were not careful when developing the film, they would produce a mirror image of the actual scene. This is what happened to the famous photo of Billy the Kid.
>>
File: Capture2.png (703KB, 740x694px) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
703KB, 740x694px
>>32812131
Here is the absolute best advice you will ever hear in regards to shooting left handed:

Learn to shoot right handed
>>
>>32812914
>what is eye dominance

If the vision in your right eye is shitty but your left eye is good you can't shoot right handed.
>>
>>32812994
Left eye dominant =/= right eye is shit

I'm right eye dominant and I can shoot just as good left handed as right handed. Anyone can it's just about practice.
>>
>>32812170
It only really matters on something like a 1911, because no 1911 ambi safety out of the dozens and dozens I've tried has worked left-handed
>>
It helps, with pistols, to get something with a slide release more forwards, like the position you'd see on a 1911 or S&W 1/2/3 Gen, because you can totally drop the slide with your index finger really easily and quickly
>>
File: bigfootsFirstBoltgun.jpg (1MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
bigfootsFirstBoltgun.jpg
1MB, 5312x2988px
>>32812131
Fellow wrong hander here, only lefty gun I own is my Tikka T3. Bolt actions are a bitch to shoot wrong handed (especially with a scope) so that'll be your main issue. Tikka, Savage, and Ruger all make left handed rifles, as I recall, but it's been a while since I looked into it. MilSurp boltguns you can just reach over and cycle the bolt, I.E., the sniper guy in Saving Private Ryan. Semi Auto rifles are usually easy to adapt to, although if you get an AR you'll want an ambi charging handle and safety selector.

Good luck with revolvers, I have no experience there.

For semi-auto pistols, it depends on the use. Is it for the range? Fuck it, buy whatever. For carry / nightstand? Make sure you can handle the controls. A lot of right handed controls can be used with your left hand no issue. Safeties are usually the important one. For example. I have a TriStar T120 I bought as a range gun, righty only controls, but I can do everything other than turn the safety ON with my left hand. I carry a PPS M1, no safety to worry about, and mag release is ambi. Also take a look at FN, as they make everything ambi.
>>
>>32812234
>lifelong inconvenience

I'm left handed and fucking love it. I sometimes wonder if righties are too damn stoopid to actually design guns nicely for themselves.

>can quickly see into ejection port for malfunctions in shotguns and rifles
>can quickly breech load a shotgun if I run dry without flipping it or awkwardly hooking my hand around the receiver
>AK bolt is much easier and quicker to manipulate while keeping gun on target
>Can lock the bolt back on an AR to fix double feeds without readjusting both hands first
>less likely to accidentally hit controls on pistols (obviously a result of not gripping gun properly but under stress it's easy to fuck up and I see righties doing it almost regularly at competitions)
>mag release on pistols easily reached by middle finger without breaking shooting grip (when shooting right handed on some guns I have to move my hand around to get my thumb to push the release, never had that problem with my left middle finger)

I'll admit theres some disadvantages but they're few

>bent handle bolt actions
>AR mag release if you don't get ambi
>Remington 870 safety (I shoot Mossbergs anyway)
>Pistol safeties (I shoot DA/SA)
>Loading <6 rounds into an M1A
>offset scopes
>>
>>32812170
Beretta metal frame pistols are usually good about ambidexterity, at least the new ones do. I have an ambi safety and the ability to switch the mag release on my 92A1.
>>
>>32814098
>Also take a look at FN, as they make everything ambi.

The left side slide release on the FNX-45 does not work, I've had a bunch of people try it just to make sure it wasn't an issue specific to myself
>>
>>32813051
Maybe not for you, but it could be for others. There are plenty of people who have issues like strabismus or amblyopia.
>>
>>32814720
Interesting. I haven't had any issues with it on my FNS.
>>
Remember: mosin nagants are left handed guns.

https://youtu.be/RINw2EPjxAI
>>
>>32813051
My left eye is 20/20, my right eye is 20/80. So no I can't just teach myself to use my right eye.
>>
>>32812148
This nigga right here knows whats up. I'm a lefty who served in .mil and shot practically everything under the sun. The only gun I specifically want lefty tailored is a bolt action but even that that is mainly preference. For practical purpose I use a bolt gun only for hunting where a second shot is pretty rare if you aren't retarded/suck shit. And when it is required the second or two longer it takes you to work the bolt as a lefty isn't that big of a deal.
>>
>>32814128
Its funny I'm not sure if its bc I got used to shooting right handed guns as a lefty or if its just naturally better, but I hit the mag release on pistols with my middle finger too. Even on pistols with ambi. mag release I can do it more efficiently and don't have to shift the gun around as much to hit it with the middle finger vs thumb.
>>
>>32812131
It'll be alright, I'm lefty too. Fortunately there are plenty of modern semi-auto pistols that are ambidextrous. I use some of them better left-handed because I can hit buttons with my index finger without changing my grip. If you know nothing about guns, maybe reconsider a concealed revolver. But you know what the trick is to reloading a right handed revolver lefty? Flip it upside down.
Bolt action rifles are a different thing. You will need a lefty bolt, which is common with some manufacturers. Semi-autos are not a problem. You can use shotguns lefty with no real trouble but should probably get one with a safety above the grip like a mossberg.
>>
>>32812195
>By the way, cap&ball revolvers like in >OP are effectively ambidextrous >because you can eject the cylinder >from either side.
WOT-no...
>>
>>32818911
Yeah, just realized the gun in OP is not cap&ball.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.