[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone tl;dr me on hog hunting? I don't want to spend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 8

Can someone tl;dr me on hog hunting? I don't want to spend a fuck ton on a guided tour.
>>
go innawoods and shoot a hog.
>>
>>32794194
hogs are considered pests, unlike deer, bears, etc., so like >>32794210 said, you can seriously just go innawoods, find a hog, shoot it with whatever the fuck you want, and go home.
>>
>>32794210
but like do I need that scent shit and how to not ruin the meat by shooting them in their shitter bag etc..
>>
>>32794231
>how to not ruin the meat

you're kidding right ?
>>
>>32794245
The only person I've talked to about it said their bladder or some shit that will ruin the meat
>>
If you shoot it in the bladder, you likely won't find it to know if the meat is ruined or not. Aim at the other end of the animal.
>>
>>32794194
sure, here's hog 101

1. texans think you should pay them for the privilege to clear an invasive, highly destructive species off their property

2. shooting them isn't even efficient enough to eradicate them anyway, so it's a permanent cash cow

3. you don't fucking eat this animal unless you're crazy
>>
>>32794297
Your not supposed to shoot them in the dick?
>>
>>32794325
why shouldn't you eat it, is it not like pork but gamier?
>>
>>32794380
Hogs are full of parasites and other nasty shit, but if you cook the meat well, they aren't an issue.
>>
>>32794253
Find, like, a youtube video about it.
Ugh, duuuh.
*rolleyes*
>>
>>32794396
there are like a ton...
*unzips pants*

>>32794395
I cook pork good enough? like shoulders up to 203 degrees
>>
>>32794325
>>>32794194 (OP)
>sure, here's hog 101
>1. texans think you should pay them for the privilege to clear an invasive, highly destructive species off their property

Texans that aren't losing money to hog destruction dont have qualms charging people what theyre willing to pay. Entitled individuals think that just because they ask something of someone and pull the "HURR IM DOIN U A FAVOR!" card they're obligated to say yes. Which, as we all know, is not the case.

>2. shooting them isn't even efficient enough to eradicate them anyway, so it's a permanent cash cow

Agreed on the lack of efficiency of shooting them. Theres not really a cost effective way to eradicate them at the moment though, so why not make money along the way?

>3. you don't fucking eat this animal unless you're crazy

Many perfectly sane people do actually. Obviously you don't eat the big 100+ pounders or the tusky males, but there is value in the meat of younger pigs (around 60 lbs pre-dressed is the sweet spot I've found).

I dont know your experiences with hog hunting anon, but it seems to me that hasn't been a pleasant journey.
>>
>>32794231
Basic field dressing is good to know (look at videos on YouTube). Once you've found the animal you shot at, the first order of the day is to get its guts out, done by cutting it open, and, well, pulling them out. There's a bit more to it, see YouTube again. Shallow cuts are key, lest you cut open its guts and they start leaking. PROTIP: If you fuck up and cut open the stomach and get guts all over, hurry up and rinse it with water but DO NOT FUCKING SCRUB IT AWAY WITH ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY ABRASIVE, as that will let the stuff seep into the meat rather than just chilling on top of it. Shot placement is around chest, a bit behind the shoulder (roughly, cross reference information pictures to make sure).
Meat needs to hang dry, cold-ish and preferably draughty. 6-10 days, less if it's hot. Do not rush the meat to the hanging place, allow for a few hours (8-12) for it to get to a stable temperature first - sudden and drastic temperature changes can make the meat sour.
>>
>>32794380
Hah, no. Now if you prepare it well or capture it and feed it for three months then it'll taste like the sweet pork you can find on the shelf.
>>
>>32794439
thanks this was helpful, so as long as the meat is brought up to proper temp is it good to go?
>>
>>32794462
I prepare meat well... I've gotten so many mixed responses on hog meat ffs
>>
>>32794483
Alright, you're talking about a wild hog that has NOT been castrated. It eats roots and shit for a living. It lives in filth for a living. It is some tough gamey tasting shit. As long as you prepare it in the various methods on the internet (milk soak, chopped up and spiced heavily, etc.) It'll taste alright. If you cut a chop off and throw it on your grill it is going to smell like death. This is the testosterone and glands in the meat your getting particles of in your nose. When you taste or rather gnaw on a piece of it it's going to taste like the head of a shovel you just dug a hole with, probably the same amount of grit too. I'd suggest looking up the aforementioned methods to prepare wild hog in order to reduce the amount of gamey taste. No, we're not talking about if you wipe your hands before cooking the meat or don't leave it out over night.
>>
>>32794413
>housing the pig population that re-infests the entire rest of the state every year
>on a part of your property you're incapable of making money with anyway
perfect example of unwarranted liberty
>>
>>32794552
okay so follow up, say I don't want to do all that shit, if I shoot a pig on public game land what do I do with the carcass?
>>
>>32794574
Depends, google the rules or call. Some places pay you when you bring the carcas, others just the ears. Some let you leave it there. Some make you drag it out to a pit they have.
>>
>>32794574
nothing....
let nature do its thing
>>
>>32794600
>>32794594
this sounds right...kinda like carp at public fishing places
>>
>>32794194
In most states, hogs are considered a nuisance animal and thus have no season or shooting hours*
*some municipalities or counties may restrict it to daylight only even if state law allows it 24hrs

Most of the states that have hogs don't require a hunting license or hunter's ed to hunt them, as they're not a game species. Some do. Check your state's DNR page.

Like most large game animals, you typically try for either a head shot or a heart/lung shot. Neither of these should ever perforate the gut, which is where all the nasty shit that ruins meat is (stomach/intestines/bladder/gallbladder). Generally, find the point of their elbow and place the bullet just behind that, that should get a double-lung hit on a broadside animal.

You do not need hunter orange in most places (again, check your state's DNR website). Hogs do have color vision. They have a very good nose, so you want to be downwind of them. They also have decent eyesight, so don't do a lot of moving. They are active at night despite pretty poor night vision, and in a lot of places that's the preferred method of hunting.

HOW you hunt them will vary heavily on where you live and what the hogs do. Here in NC, we go out at night with either NVG/thermals, or just spotlights, and shoot them at ~50 yards when they're out in the peanut and soybean fields. Other places you have to hunt them innawoods. They can be stand hunted. It is legal and in many places common to bait them with game feeders.

Feral hogs can vary immensely in size, from under 20lbs for a yearling native pig or peccary hybrid to over 800lbs for a trophy sized Russian Blue. Figure out what's common in your area.

Depending on what's common where you are, they can be legally and safely hunted with everything from .22lr through .300wm. I have taken pigs up to 550lbs with .223 using good bonded softpoints (Federal LE Barrier Blind 62gr), and have never had one fail to penetrate adequately.
>>
>>32794380
Pigs taste like what they eat. Sometimes that's good, other times they can literally taste like a tire fire.
>>
>>32794471
I'll try to explain as best I can how I'd do it, if you don't mind.
>Shoot pig
>Track pig
>Gut pig
>Cut head off pig
>Leave big steaming pile of guts behind
>Wrap the animal in a tarp and port it to my car
>Drive home
>Hang the animal from a hook in the garage or the larder to mature for a couple days
By now, it looks like what you might see hanging from hooks in a slaughterhouse, the kinda stuff Rocky punched to get fuckin jacked hands.
You now wait a couple days, pull it down, part it up, eat some and freeze the rest for later.
Youtube is, as I wrote before, a great resource, but it would be better to see about finding a hunter's safety course, and best if you found someone with experience to hunt with after that.
>>
how much can you get for culling these fuckers anyways?
>>
I've never had wild hog that tastes bad. Even the 300 pounders. We shoot them, usually from a stand. Get a four wheeeler or side by side and take it to a skinning shed on the property. Take the quarters and blackstrap without gutting it. It's pretty simple. Even if we do gut shot it or something we don't worry just wash the meat off, it really isn't a big deal at all.

I don't care if it's a deer or pig, I'm just happy. Meat is meat and I looove pulled pork.
>>
>>32794726
People want to hunt so usually you have to pay to hunt.
>>
>>32794726
Depends, the Opossum Police will nod their head at you. A meth head might ask to take the carcass. A rancher may pay you $5 a head on private property.
>>
>>32794194
Call local wildlife office or sheriff's office, inquire if anyone has reported a hog nuisance in area.

>if public land, check local laws and bring semi auto, have fun
>if public land, find out who owns it, ask if they'd like hogs removed, possible profit
>if reservation, publicly protected lands, call local refuge or reservation and see if they allow porkicide.
>>
>>32794744
this triggers me greatly people are srsly paying to hunt a highly problematic destructive invasive pest rather than the opposite
>>
>>32794726
Around here you get $5-10 a night regardless of how many you shoot, as long as you shoot at least 1.

3 counties east, the state is paying a bounty of $15 a head. 2 counties west you can't shoot them at all because the DNR is trying to trap them and they don't want you splitting up the sounder.
>>
>>32794325
>>32794380
>>32794395

No you should eat it, the meat is fantastic.
You should just send away a meat sample and get it tested for trichinella, i don't know about the states but here in Northern Europe it's 10$ tops and only takes a few days.
Throw a party for your friends with some beer and homemade boar burgers and everyone will love you.

>>32794231
No you don't need any scent or any bullshit, just some pound of veggies as bait.
Just shoot them in the lungs, you risk spoiling the meat otherwise. If you don't know how to do that just look up some vids on hunting becausde this is basics.
>>
>>32794895
>3 counties east, the state is paying a bounty of $15 a head

wew this could support a nice meth habit
>>
>>32794380
most taste a special kind of bad, called rank. its what happens when you dont castrate the males after weaning, and let the females eat carrion.
>>
>>32794897
make a mash with malt liquor old bread, cans of exprired veggies, cheap mayo, the kinds of stuff you would mix to ruin someones car or house on purpose. mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket, let it sit to fester, dig a few holes using post hole diggers, pour in in the holes once nice and rotted, cover with dirt. wait for hogs to come running like hell for that smell.

they love rotting meat.
>>
>>32794439
Not OP but thanks for the knowledge. Why is a chest shot still preferred over a head shot assuming you're not going to mount the head on your wall?
>>
>>32795039
Hehe yeah those nasty fucks eat anything, the more it reeks the better.

Btw. what cal. and rifle do you guys use for hunting boars? I got access to my stepfathers .308 and 30-06 rifles which is great for hunting moose, but i think maybe something like 6.5x55 should do it.
>>
>>32795174
shotguns with slugs
>>
>>32795233
Well have only shot with rifle so far, so maybe i should get out my comfort zone.
Thought it was more expensive but it seems as it is about half the price of a .308 here.
>>
>>32795160
A head shot is good, but has good potential to fuck up too.
If you're off by just a little, you'll end up with a nonlethal shot, but you might shoot the animal's jaw asunder, leaving it to a long and painful death, where the issue is if it'll starve to death because it can't eat with its fucked jaw, or die from an infection of the wound. You take that headshot, you're shooting at a smaller target, and you best be sure you're hitting it. You also need to bleed the animal when you get to it.

If you shoot at the chest, it's a bonanza of comparatively huge vital parts - Two lungs and a heart! This gives you some more room to err (for the record, I'm in no way advocating that people who aren't good at shooting go hunting, you should still aim as best you can). With a heart shot, the animal bleeds out nicely and quickly, and doesn't run far, if at all.
If you shoot the lung(s) out, it will run a bit further, but should leave easily trackable spots of bright red blood with bubbles in leading to it.
Best way to track is to wait a bit, then follow it - Wounded animals tend to lay down somewhere peaceful, or draw towards water.

If you're confident in your ability to shoot minute-of-fist at <100 meters from any position (I can warmly recommend a cuff sling and/or shooting stick), I'd say you could go for it, but looking at the chances there are of causing needless pain to an animal, I cannot say I endorse it. I'm no bleeding heart vegetarian, but needless cruelty is just, well, needless and cruel.
>>
>>32794954
Ehh, it is pretty good.
>>
>>32795322
Agree 100%

If you track an wounded animal without waiting he could run for miles. Like you said, if you don't scare them they will lay down and go peacefully after only a hundred yard space or so.
>>
Find land
>Public hunting land of no friends
Walk around or do piglet omg calls
Some say take a 30 cal incase boss hog with lvl 2A+ body armor appears from the woods.
Creeks and other water ways are normally what they travel near
Watch hog feild dressing videos
>>
>>32794897

As long as you cook it to 160F, it's fine even if it has trichinella. It probably does have it anyway.
>>
This is good thread and fascinating to a city slicker like me. Much better than polbait or bringbackbb threads. Please greentext hog hunting stories. Thank you.
>>
>>32794325

1: My property, my rules. Hunt elsewhere, hippie.

2: Absolutely correct.

3: Seriously? Wild pork is fucking delicious. You just don't eat the boars.
>>
>>32794868

No, people are paying to hunt a pest on other people's land. Hogs running around my property doesn't really bother me. But a bunch of retarded toolsheds bombing around shooting at random does. You want to do that? You pay me enough to feel better about it or you fuck directly off.

Goddamn, we as a culture are totally fucked if we can't nip this entitlement attitude in the bud before it spreads.
>>
>>32794194

Hey op, I'd totally be down to shoot hogs, but like you point out, everybody wants a shit ton of money to shoot hogs so fuck it. I'll just shoot deer
>>
>>32794194
https://youtu.be/y0ss6gCPNs4
This video bout sums it up.
>>
>>32797428

This is where it's at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGC1tjHCSVE
>>
Can a hog kill a man?
>>
>>32797647
easily, they have big ass tusks and are large mean animals
>>
This goes for most four-legged animals:

Aim for the shoulder. The specific part varies from animal to animal. You want to hit their lungs with a good expanding projectile; it's one of the most heavily-bleeding organs in mammals, and it's also the biggest target.

If you don't think you can make the hit there, then don't take the shot. Your first responsibility as a hunter is to make sure your quarry dies as quickly and humanely as possible.
>>
>>32797627
>it aint me start playing faintly in the distance
>>
>>32794325
Shooting pest animals worked well for the Australians though.
>>
>>32797428
That was kind of failish to be honest. I was expecting more.
>>
>>32797813
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ob0fgc0I7A
>>
Why don't you faggots just go knock on some farmers doors and ask if they'll let you hunt his property if no one else is? Worst he can say is no. You'd be surprised how far some initiative will get you.
>>
>>32794194
hogs they everywhere down here. people will pay you to come hunt they land and take out as many hogs as you can. they are a hoot to hunt.
>>
Are there hogs in arizona?
>>
>>32797860
in case anyone is wondering, he is using a sauer 202 in 7mm rem mag
>>
>>32794194
>Can someone tl;dr me on hog hunting?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no restrictions hunting feral pigs. Even in Commiefornia, they're considered an invasive species, and it's open season all year long.

Most federal or state lands that allow shooting will generally welcome pig hunters, in that the damage those bastards do is phenomenal-- I saw a field at Pinnacles National Monument that looked like it was half bulldozed; it was from a herd of pigs rooting.

The meat can be pretty good, and the best ham I ever had was feral pig slow roasted on a BBQ rotisserie.

If you're in the Southwest, do not mistake Javelina for wild hogs; Javelina are native species and have a hunting season, even though they're about as problematic as feral pigs.
>>
File: 0021.jpg (59KB, 520x389px) Image search: [Google]
0021.jpg
59KB, 520x389px
Kiwi style: train hunting dogs to chase the pig into a corner and keep it there, walk up and grab the fucker by a hind leg flip it on it's back and stick it with a knife

Maybe still carry a rifle in case it's bigger than you are.

Dogs work well in our thick bush where pigs can easily get away running through their tracks in the undergrowth once they notice you, and you'd often have to close to 30m to even see them
>>
>>32798266
running dogs is fine as long as you aren't planning on eating it, the adrenaline lowers the quality of the meat a lot
>>
>>32798338
haha. Shooting an animal in the lungs doesn't give it adrenaline in its blood stream?
>>
>>32798400
not NEARLY as much as being chased, bitten, and held still by barking dogs for a extended period
>>
>>32798010
>>32797860
Holy shit.
>>
>>32797346
Preach.
>>
>>32795174
Most anything over .223 would do. Id say .308 just because of personal preference really.
>>
>>32798453
Imo dressing correctly and style of cooking is the more important factor it's a wild animal not veal and is going to have a somewhat gamey flavour from various factors whether it's been chased around by dogs for a few minutes or not. Tastes fine to me!
>>
>>32799013
it's a combination of how the meat is processed and how the animal was killed that affect how the quality of the meat can change
http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6909e/x6909e04.htm
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-qvDv8G2Qg
>>
Do nuggets work well enough for Hog Hunts?
>>
>>32799097
Yes, rifle fine.
>>
>>32797653
I haven't seen tusks longer than an inch or two on 350 pound monsters. >>32797647
If you lay down and let it. Any competent person can get away.
>>
>>32794253
pig that reach maturity and still has their testicles can't be eaten because of the taint in the meat. I would imagine a grown hog is not going to be pleasant to eat
>>
>>32797257
Not hog hunting but....
>be me
>15yr old bastard
>don't know shit about hogs
>go to play around on my uncles property
>forest area
>hell yeah adventure
>go in forest for awhile and find track ways of devastation
Ex. Overturned soil, droppings, tracks, etc.
>curiosity.mp4
>start to follow them
>eventually leads to a rancid group of hogs
>ohshit.jpeg
>biggest of the group comes out
>looks me dead in the eye
>Book it
>thinking because I was the faster than dindu nuffins I would be alright
>Look back
>him and the whole group are following
>making good speed too
>actually have respect for something quite big to me is actually quite fast as well
Continue?
>>
File: 55gr_entry.png (3MB, 1505x1116px) Image search: [Google]
55gr_entry.png
3MB, 1505x1116px
>>32798974
55gr SP 223 out of 14inch AR (suppressed)
>>
File: 55gr_exit.png (4MB, 1600x1236px) Image search: [Google]
55gr_exit.png
4MB, 1600x1236px
>>32799248
55gr SP 223 out of 14inch AR (suppressed)
>>
File: ar_vs_piggu.png (2MB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
ar_vs_piggu.png
2MB, 1152x648px
>>32799280
With the skin on.
>>
>>32799192
I've seen tusks a little bigger than that, but those teeth are quite dangerous as well
>>
>>32794194
How to kill pigs: call the team of friends, tell them to meet at TOF HQ (your house) at 7pm. TOF arrives, load murder van with gear (pvs-14s, anvis, suppressed sbrs, etc.) drive to killing fields. Pin side doors open on murder van. Drive around wheat fields in blacked out mini van with doors open and sbrs hanging out. See pigs. Tell everyone to hold on. Chase pigs. Shoot pigs. Lose situational awareness while chasing pigs. Drive through 5 strand barbwire fence in mini van while shooting pigs at 50 mph. Feel bad about fence, tape $40 to fence in plastic glove. Load pigs in mini van. Find ditch. Throw pigs in ditch. Smoke victory cigar. Go home. Spend $5 on vacuum next day getting all the dirt out of van.
>>
>>32797428
>Not laying strips of duct tape tacky side up on a workbench and pouring heavy nuts and bolts over it
>Not attaching resulting frag sleeve to HOG-B-GONE300

Honestly though, that seemed like too many wounded hogs. Pest or no, they should be offed quickly.
>>
>>32795174
Holy shit, you think if i brought some hootchbi confiscated from lockup that would draw them in
>>
>>32799097
Boars have been hunted with spears for centuries. The nugget is a spear always, and can be conveniently used as a rifle depending on the situation.
>>
>>32795039
If you catch some fish you don't want axe it up and leave it, I converted a stingray into a nice pork roast
>>
>>32794194
I live and work on the family farm in Texas. Hogs are really bad here but you hardly see them during the day. The best way to hunt them is to go spotlighting at night.

We let a guy trap them. He hauls them (alive) to to a small meat processor business that buys them.

>inb4 can I hunt on your land

No I don't know you and don't trust you.
>>
>>32797627
>Anyone that runs is a hog, anyone that stands still is a well trained hog
>>
>>32794325

Jesus Christ. I charge 100/day and make them sign a liability waiver.

It's for our own protection. Not going through a lawsuit when some non-landowner's kid gets hurt.
>>
>>32799215
I eat 250lb plus makes constantly. They don't taste bad at all.
>>
File: IMG_5501.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5501.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>32799309
>>
>>32794194

This thread is full of idiots, shoot yourself a sow 85-ish pounds or under and eat the hell out of it.
>>
>>32797627
*It aint me intensifies*
>>
>>32800931
>that exit wound
Christ m8 your shot placement isn't flash but can't argue with the results
>>
Can I donate the hog meat to a local homeless shelter or charity?

I have an ar-10. Would that be a better choice to hog hunt with?
>>
>>32797776
>

underrated post
>>
>>32798266
Actually had some friends in eastern TX that did the same thing, but instead of coup-de-grae, the castrated. Harvested the next season with rifles for better meat
>>
>>32802085
Yes and yes, I think
>>
>>32799248
>>32799280
>>32799309
>>32799280
>>32800931

Probably should've typed that as ".223 and up" since I use my AR to hunt as well. A bit of an excessive response though eh?
>>
>>32799574
oh yeah that would work good for a stinkbait.
also gentlemen, ginger makes pork taste better, even el cheapo walmart powdered ginger
>>
>>32794194
Shoot the motherfuckers in the heart/lungs. Don't shoot too far back or you'll puncture the hogs. Hog guts are nasty. Skin them without puncturing the guts or bladder. Cook and eat.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.