[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I understand the PKM and RPK-74 are both LMG's used to provide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: rpk-74m.jpg (1MB, 2449x1631px) Image search: [Google]
rpk-74m.jpg
1MB, 2449x1631px
I understand the PKM and RPK-74 are both LMG's used to provide supporting fire for a squad. However I do not understand what the purpose of having both of them since every other nation has a single standard squad automatic weapon (SAW). RPK is really more like a heavier AK than the real machine gun. And with the magazine of only up to 45 rounds available, isn't it more or less... useless?
>>
>>32792564

RPK is a SAW.

PKM is a GPMG.

These have different doctrinal uses. Think M249 vs. M240.
>>
File: image%3A1984.jpg (117KB, 814x431px) Image search: [Google]
image%3A1984.jpg
117KB, 814x431px
marines have transitioned to iar. it's based off hk416. the idea is now you have more portable system that is better in almost every way except you're down to 75-100 magazine, but you're less of a sitting duck and your weapon is lighter. basically modern bar
>>
>>32792585
You're right but the analogy you're using doesn't translate. 249s and 240bs are both used in the same role in actual use, just not on paper.
>>
File: Batalionul_191_infanterie_50.jpg (3MB, 3456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
Batalionul_191_infanterie_50.jpg
3MB, 3456x2592px
>>32792564
>magazine of only up to 45 rounds available
That doesn't matter that much because you only fire in bursts anyway, you will just have to waste a couple of seconds reloading evry now and then, the main advantadge of the RPK is that the barrel allows for sustained fire, this means that you can keep firing auto bursts for far long than an standart assault rifle would allow.
>>
>>32792766
This, I'd rather carry mags than huge belts or pouches
>>
>>32792731
I don't think the M27 is belt fed. It's just an HK416 with a heavier barrel.
>>
>>32792751

Nah, it still kinda applies.

The 249/RPK are both employed by a squad's automatic rifleman to act as, well, a squad support weapon.

The PKM/240 are GPMGs that aren't issued on a squad level, and are instead utilized as part of a dedicated MG/weapons team, since the 240/PKM are far heavier than their SAW counterparts.

>>32792766

The Russians actually designed drums for the RPK74, but they ditched them in favor of just issuing more magazines, because a stick mag is more efficient when it comes to being able to carry more total ammo.
>>
>>32792564
In Western termonology, the PKM would be considered a GPMG or MMG. The Russians define weaponry a bit more fluidly, but putting aside what words are used, the mechanical facts are still the same:

RPKs use service rifle caliber ammunition and are meant to move fluidly with riflemen. The PKM is a full power caliber weapon meant to provide a heavier base of fire. Between the heavy caliber and the fact that it's beltfed it gets used differently.

>>32792751
> 249s and 240bs are both used in the same role in actual use, just not on paper.
What the fuck. Nah. There are a lot more M249s in a platoon than M240s. It is impractical to expect M240s to be shoulder or hip fired, so they are really only fired at a stop. They provide the dedicated platoon level base of fire. M249s provide temporary bases of fire, but are expected to move a lot more.

If you're doing an assault, running a cordon, or really anything where movement is preplanned, one of the major considerations is where the M240s are going to set up.

t. actually have experience in both combat and mission planning.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.