[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /k/, what is the viability of beam weaponry? Memes aside,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (5KB, 286x176px)
download.png
5KB, 286x176px
So /k/, what is the viability of beam weaponry?
Memes aside, what would the applications on such weaponry be effective at, be that in the hands of guerrilla forces who don't have access to firearms and use these to acquire better armament, riot squads, their job to be suppression and crowd control, or special forces, who will need to subdue and disable the threats.

Personally with a bit of tweaking, beam weaponry could be viable. The fact that it can blind you from even staring at the beam, makes it basically a hand-held flash bang gun, and can the sheer intensity of heat that it would land on the human skin would make it a similar effect to a flame thrower without the collateral damage and more the effect.

This guys stuff made me think about this, hes about as crazy as Royal Nonesuch, but seriously /int/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUoe-9bKa0&t=2s
>>
>>32791060
Not viable at all with the amount of power needed to weaponize a laser. Other than giant ship mounted lasers for intercepting missiles.

There's better cheaper ways to kill/burn/blind people.
>>
it's also a war crime
>>
>>32791060
Handheld lasers are just sci-fi for now.

However, I can see large weaponized lasers being used on space ships, if warfare ever gets into space.
>>
There's youtube videos of handheld lasers strong enough to burn paper, I assume they are terrible to your eyesight even at considerable distance
>>
>A laser-induced plasma channel (LIPC) is formed by the following process: A laser emits a laser beam into the air. The laser beam rapidly heats and ionizes surrounding gases to form plasma. The plasma forms an electrically conductive plasma channel.
>>
>>32791060
Theoretically viable, sure, but functionally cost ineffective and too contextual. Like that shit wouldn't work in the rain, or be easily dispersed by smoke or even large amounts of dust in the air, severely limited range and operational time (power sources).

Traditional kinetic weapons are more space efficient, cost effective, and can field much more 'firepower' to an engagement in most standard scenarios (infantry arms, artillery).

DEWs aren't a total wash; they do have pretty niche applications like anti-missile and anti-satellite and crowd control, but frankly unless there's some kind of paradigm shift in material sciences and energy storage there is no good reason to try expand the role of DEWs at this time; because anything with sufficient destructive potential for modern warfare use will be REALLY FUCKING BIG per current power storage/generation technology. Anything man portable would either be extremely bulky, or have a very very short operational time and range.
>>
>>32791060
http://www.uawire.org/news/three-ukrainian-border-guards-in-the-donbas-suffer-retina-burns-after-being-shot-with-laser-pointers
>>
>>32791060
>beam weaponry
Please use actual terms that mean something.
>>
Lasers will never be as satisfying as the feeling of gun in your hands.
>>
>>32793561
LASER.
>>
>>32793605
said who?having a beam burning everything is more entertaining than a gun.
>>
Laser weapons have some major drawbacks that can limit their range and power, such as fog, smoke, reflective surfaces, surfaces designed to absorb light energy and heatsink it off, and walls. They're cool toys, but not for warfare.

Other wave spectrum weapons such as microwave and gamma ray weapons are much more damaging and useful.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.