[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Glocks become so popular even though they're incredibly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

File: unsafe_action.png (314KB, 938x383px) Image search: [Google]
unsafe_action.png
314KB, 938x383px
How did Glocks become so popular even though they're incredibly unsafe?
>"Alright we've removed the safety on our gun to make it easy to use"
>"But nobody will want a pistol without a safety! What if we put a second fake trigger on it and called it a safety?"
>"Arnold, you're a genius!"
>>
>>32782991
Because they are actually safe
>>
>>32782991
>goes bang when the trigger is pulled
>doesn't go bang when the trigger is not pulled
>unsafe
>>
>>32782991

Marketing basically.
They sold them in bulk to police departments for dirt cheap,

Then they did something that's fairly common in marketing.
They charged about double what a company would normally charge for a gun of that quality.

You see, if Glocks were $299 right now, nobody would take them that seriously.
They'd be another brand of bargain bin guns.
But since they charged a more premium price of them, people were willing to believe they were great.
And once someone invests their ego into a product like people do with Glock, it's very hard to alter their view.
>>
>>32783013

That's like saying a car is safe because it has a gas and brake pedal.
>>
>>32783022
I think youre only partially right. They're actually very good guns too.

But yeah, they're overpriced
>>
>>32783013
SPBP
>>
>>32783013
You forgot
>doesn't go bang when the "fake" trigger is not depressed properly
>>
>>32783037

They're not particularly better than anything else.
They're not the most accurate, not the most ergonomic, and not the most reliable.
I could pull videos of all kinds of guns beating Glocks in reliability tests. Even a Colt 1911.
They're nice guns for like $300.
At an MSRP of like $600, the only thing they've got going for them now is aftermarket.
>>
A very zealous marketing campaign combined with plastic components keeping costs below milled and some stampings.

It got popular in the USA simply because fags think cheaper is better, if it breaks its cheap enough to buy a new one. Then the block fanbois will defend it for free
>>
>>32783022
...and the police use convinced many that glocks must be great.
>>
>>32783075

Yes, that is correct.
Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
>>
Because the slides are ceramic.
>>
>>32783075
having seen many police officers shoot, I never understood why this was a good endorsement of the pistol
>>
>>32782991
Incredibly unsafe. Well yes OP, they are firearms after all. I don't see it as being any more dangerous than a hi-power, 1911, p226, etc. I guess if you are some retarded NDing faggot that can't follow the basic tenants of firearm safety, maybe. Is that what this thread is about? Did you ND, and now it's the guns fault?
>>
>>32783022
Is that why they're used extensively all over the world? Maybe SOCOM fell for that one too.
>>
>>32782991
Only fires when your finger is on the trigger, what's the problem?

If you're such a retarded nigger that you ND, an extra safety won't stop you from NDing.

Safety starts and ends with the individual, not the weapon.

>>32783022
Except that they're infinitely better quality than 300 dollar guns.

>>32783034
No it isn't.

>>32783063
>Not the most accurate
Nigger, you're dealing with a sight radius of what, 4-6" tops? Are you trying to snipe at 100m with pistols? They're as accurate as they need to be. If you're doing competitions, there's more expensive options for that specific need. Nobody else needs a 9mm to be 1MOA.

>Not the most ergonomic
Learn to hold a fucking pistol.

>Not the most reliable
He says, not knowing reliability is what they're famed for, and inifnitely more reliable than over half the 1911 clones and certainly more so in the price bracket, and that there are brands with twice the price not nearly as reliable.

Yeah, you're just retarded.

>>32783064
>HURF DURF POLYMER=PLASTIC

>>32783096
Cops, like the military, are trained on volume of fire over accuracy.

Also, go lift, run a mile, do some jumping jacks, and then try to shoot accurately.

Now literally factor up that shakiness by two, and you'll be on par with shooting under fight-or-flight.
>>
Why are all pistol safety systems so shit nowadays?
>DA/SA is hard to train with, less accurate first shot
>DAO is heavy and inaccurate
>Manual safeties are slow and always get pushed off
Why not go back to grip safeties or something?
>>
>>32783128

I don't think there's any evidence that they use Glocks.
Unless something came out recently.
The rumor a long time ago literally came from a post some guy made on arfcom or something.
>>
>>32783132

Looks like the "SAFE ACTION" system didn't help you very much,
because you just got triggered.
>>
>>32783134
>I have never carried a gun or understand most situations in which you'll find yourself needing to draw it

>>32783144
https://thearmsguide.com/7999/socom-adopts-glock-19-will-big-army-follow/
>>
>>32782991
but the trigger safety works
>>
File: 1359660268152.jpg (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1359660268152.jpg
22KB, 400x400px
>>32783147
>>
>>32783147
>Pointing out retardation
>Being triggered

Time to go back to plebbit
>>
>>32783153

>blog post with no source stating internet myths.
That's not evidence.
>>
>>32782991
>revolvers without safety are not safe to carry
You are idiot op.

True lie of Block is "Safe Action" marketing a.k.a how you turn DAO without second stike capabilty into advantage.

>>32783134
Majority of market doesn't want grip safeties and for good reason. It can be easily disengaged accidentally and it opens gun for dirt.

Better setup would be single action with trigger safety. You acheive same thing but it is much safer.
>>
>>32783134
Because there are too many whiny owners with Apex and competition triggers but no grip strength and most of them can't be bothered to practice. All of those things are fine. Glock convinced everyone that manual safeties were the devil and now the industry has to follow suit to cater to all the Glockaboos that cry when a 1cm piece of plastic makes it onto the frame.
>>
>>32783159
Woosh.
>>
File: lol80.jpg (10KB, 185x185px) Image search: [Google]
lol80.jpg
10KB, 185x185px
>>32783159

>implying I can't hear the MAD in your post
lol
>>
>>32783159
come on m8, you were positivly triggered

admit it and chill
>>
>>32783132
Polymer includes any material made of molecules bonded together in large chains. This includes wood, dna, ans plastics.

Unless you can somehow prove glass reinforced nylon isn't plastic, calling ir polymer is like saying its made of wood. An incredibly vague statement
>>
File: orig[1].jpg (112KB, 1024x390px) Image search: [Google]
orig[1].jpg
112KB, 1024x390px
Should I be worried that these don't have safeties either?
>>
>>32783239

Not really. The trigger is very heavy, making it quite hard to fire it accidentally.
>>
>>32783132
Saying that something is made of metal is more precise than saying something is made of "polymer".
>>
>>32783165
https://sofrep.com/53591/socom-adopts-glock-19-will-big-army-follow/

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/03/24/army-pushes-back-against-reported-interest-in-glock-contract.html

>>32783209
We both know the implications when fudds shit on 'plastic' gun parts. It's not the shit your chinese keyboard is made out of.

>>32783249
Please tell me more about guns, especially barrels, made out of 440 tool steel, then.
>>
>>32783063
Yeah anon I see what you're saying. Those are just lame points with no concrete support, sorry
>>
>>32783263
>brass or aluminium have never been used in guns
plastic sounds silly, so you use term so broad it's meaningless
>>
>>32783747
We stopped using brass because of warp from use, something 'plastic' hasn't done.
>>
>>32783813
You are missing my point.
"it's made out of polimer" meme needs to die.
If you can stand ridicule from fudds, unironically commit sudoku
>>
>>32783826
*can't
>>
>>32783049
Do you have baby fingers? Are your fingers literally bones?
No?
Then shut the fuck up.
>>
>>32783132
>cops poor aim
Don't imply detractors are out of shape, and police should NOT be trained in "volume of fire" "like the military". They use firearms differently- usually one target, suppression is stupid in populated areas, and innocents may be in the line (or cone) of fire.
Don't try to excuse poor marksmanship. If one can't shoot straight, even after your suggested exercises, they should not use firearms.
>>
>>32784198
It's not about being in shape, you fucking nigger.

Muscles involuntarily tense. Heart rates spike. Accuracy with handguns instantly goes down the shitter.
>>
>>32783263
Why would SF adopt guns made for people with limited training, when there are plenty of options for experienced users?
>>
>>32782991

0/10, try harder
>>
>>32784337
Having seen cops shoot in no-stress situations - qualifications and matches - most can't shoot in the best of circumstances.
>>
>>32782991
>>32783134
I think the grip and trigger safety on the XD is safer than the glock
Owning an XD subcompact and a G19, the XD is better in ergos, accuracy and even looks (i did put talon grips on it and the glock, fuck the grip zone)
The only thing the G19 has going for it is aftermarket and capacity because its obviously bigger
>>
File: Kid shoots man gun safty fail.webm (890KB, 412x302px) Image search: [Google]
Kid shoots man gun safty fail.webm
890KB, 412x302px
>>32783013
A lot of hostage takers have been shot in the foot by their hostages because the hostage was able to fire off their glock in its holster, due to the lack of a safety. Lots of fathers have been shot by their kids because the kid could just fire the pistol without taking the safety off, too.
>>
>>32782991
>Arnold

I don't see anything at all
>>
>>32783125
1911 pistols are supremely safe because they have a manual safety and won't fire until they are cocked.
>>
>>32783247
Revolver triggers aren't really HEAVY like some DA/SA pulls are. They're long and very smooth, which makes them nice to work with.
>>
>>32782991
because safeties only get in the way.
>>
File: p7.png (1MB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
p7.png
1MB, 1100x733px
I'd love to see a mechanism like what the H&K P7 used. I could see a modern version keeping the striker on a 'half cock' position until you depress the "grip safety" on the front. It'd have to be a lot lighter than the original P7 though. That way you could have a short single action trigger that literally can't go off unless you're really tying to make it go off.
>>
It always gets me when /k/ users claim that a Glock is safe because they will only go off when the trigger is pulled but then turn around and claim that carrying something like a Series 80 1911 with one in the chamber and safety disengaged is somehow unsafe, even though, like the Glock, it will only go off when the trigger is pulled. I know what those fags will say in response!

>but the Glock is more forgiving of bad handling than a 1911 with safety off and one in the chamber is!

Yeah, and every other gun out there is more forgiving of bad handling than a Glock/Glock clone is. Any gun is safe if the person using it never makes mistakes of any kind. When you consider, however, that handguns are used by people and not androids and that people make mistakes constantly, designing a gun that doesn't forgive small mistakes in handling and then selling it to the incompetent general public is fucking stupid.
>>
>>32788255
What if the grip part was just the manual safety? like if pushing it in just moved a block that allows the striker to fall forward
>>
>>32788269
If all the safeties and the sear fail on the 1911 fails the gun will fire.
A glock won't. Without pulling the trigger to finish cocking there is not enough energy behind the firing pin to fire.
>>
>>32783263
>440 tool steel
What?
>>
>>32788162
Aaaand the Darwin award goes to...
>>
>>32788352
>If all the safeties and the sear fail on the 1911 fails the gun will fire.

The Series 80 has a firing pin block. Even if the sear fails because some retard was bubbaing it, the gun won't discharge unless the trigger is pulled. Meanwhile, the chances of the sear, manual safety, and firing pin block all failing simultaneously in normal use are infinitely close to zero.
>>
>>32787041
...wait, what? It's a gun. It shoots relatively straight and almost never fucks up.

Also, they were running out of patience with the Army; their modular handgun adaptation was taking too long for them.

>>32787083
It'd be nice if we could mandate 300 rounds per week on the range, especially now that polycase is a thing.

>>32788381
Not all metals are created equal, and neither are plastics.
>>
So am I already dead since I put a 3.5 pound connector in my glock 19 last night? Spooky
>>
Whether or not the pistol I want has a safety or not doesn't matter to me, but you idiots who need one to not shoot yourselves negligently need to sell your guns. It won't fire unless you pull the trigger, how is this a bad thing? Glocks are extremely drop safe, tests have been done where they drop them out of a helicopter onto concrete and they still won't fire. I get if you don't like them but there's nothing inherently unsafe with the design, the problem comes from idiots who like to play with loaded guns

>inb4 glockfag
Nope, don't like glock ergos. Carry an HK DA/SA
>>
If you take a close look at the commercial firearms available to citizens 6-9 decades ago they were NOT safe at all by today's standards. They were much more prone to firing when dropped or struck, breech or cylinder failures, chain fires, and plenty of other non-critical failures. Today some people think the only thing that makes a gun safe is a little lever. These people are either stupid, or jaded by the fact that they've never even had to consider the possibility their firearms could malfunction in a way that would send shrapenel into 3 major arteries at once.
>>
>>32788162
>evidence to support you claim
Also, if that's to be believed, there's this wonderful new invention called a holster that puts a grinding hault to that shit.
>>
>>32782991
>i check for empty chamber by pulling the trigger...
>>
>>32783132
>Only fires when your finger is on the trigger

Except I've seen them fire when clothing, drawstrings, sticks, and gravel have gotten into the trigger guard. None of those things are fingers.
>>
>>32783075
Copfag here, we hate our glocks (most officers I talk to that are actual gun guys at least). It's just seen as cheap equipment like everything else we get (barring our radios, those suckers are $6k. How do you spend 6k on that and $300 on our most important piece of equipment?)

Our armorers don't like them either. They always have to replace sights that break off or try to fix one that doesn't like lights (1 in like 20 Glocks simply WILL NOT work properly with a light, yes it's still an issue on the gen 4s). Our department doesn't consider that an actual issue and won't give you a new gun for it, some some poor fuckers just can't have a light on their guns.

It's just cheap low bid equipment. I won't say it's complete crap, they have to work and they do for the most part, but it's nothing special. Our cars on the other hand are complete crap. Just because we drive shitty crown vics does that mean you should? No, so don't settle for a goddamn glock.

>>32791161
We had a guy who's keys got stuck in the holster and fired one into his leg.

Also the ALS light holsters don't cover the trigger guard. You can literally stick your finger in it and shoot the wearer in the leg... It happened.

https://www.policeone.com/investigations/articles/6426576-SWAT-officer-shot-when-child-pulls-trigger-in-holster/

it's not just a kid's finger that can fit, there's plenty of room. Come to think of it, it would make for some epic pranks around the station...
>>
>>32783087

McClain!!!
>>
>>32791206
>barring our radios, those suckers are $6k
Holy shit. I mean thinking about it I guess it makes sense but god damn. Are they fairly durable at least? What happens when one breaks tell me it's not your ass having to pay for that?
>>
>>32782991
You're a moron.
>>
>>32783132
>Only fires when your finger is on the trigger, what's the problem?
The problem here is that it will fire when everything else will press on the trigger, not just your finger. Besides, in life/death or even a simple stressful situation your finger might slip and you'll shoot yourself - it's so common that's called a glock wound.

>Nigger, you're dealing with a sight radius of what, 4-6" tops
You stupid redneck, a tilting barrel system will be less accurate than a fixed barrel as a HiPoint or a wedge or rotating mechanisms.

>Learn to hold a fucking pistol.
You should stop taking your dick holding habit as a standard.

> inifnitely more reliable than over half the 1911 clones and certainly more so in the price bracket
Compare them with modern designs, not those of a century ago. Besides, a fucking HiPoint is infinitely more tough and reliable than a glocknade will ever be, just look at the torture tests.
>>
>>32788979
No, not necessarily, you might get lucky and miss all major arteries when (not if) you'll shoot yourself in the leg.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.