[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm doing some rough designs for a game and i'd like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

File: Dishonored_conceptart_6I44m.jpg (62KB, 723x600px) Image search: [Google]
Dishonored_conceptart_6I44m.jpg
62KB, 723x600px
I'm doing some rough designs for a game and i'd like to know if you think this style of sword would be practical? as it doesn't look to strong.
>>
If I could get a functioning model of his sword I would inot a heartbeat
>>
>>32779700

Looks retarded.

The parts where it folds, are huge weak spots.
>>
>>32779700
Yeah that would last about a minute in a fight with a heavy. You'd be lucky if it didnt shatter on contact with a shield. If this is really what you want to use, it better be a game where the enemies dont wear armor.

Best weapon is a 3/4 axe with the firemans spike on the back. Allows you too gain more leverage in the swing, places all the cutting power on a small, thick area of blade, and that spike negates armor.
>>
File: 35hpb2s.jpg (295KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
35hpb2s.jpg
295KB, 1067x800px
>>32779796
>>32779700
>>
>>32779700
>corvo
sounds and looks like shit
>>
>>32779839
>sounds and looks like shit
Doesn't speak, wears a mask.
>>
File: MAD.gif (443KB, 203x199px) Image search: [Google]
MAD.gif
443KB, 203x199px
>>32779809
>>
>>32779912
>>
>>32779700
You'd be better off having a fixed blade knife in some cool trendy carrier device that pops it straight into your hand, like those derringer or cheating-at-cards extender items if you want a similar mechanism
>>
the blade is 2x as long as the handle. How in hell is this folding into it?
>>
>>32779942
What about a flip blade design instead, you know like the knifes just a larger blade and handle, granted the blade would stick out but it would work to a degree.
>>
>>32779970
Flip blades are not good fighting knives
Any opponent of equal skill using a fixed blade knife could and will easily break your blade off, leaving you defenseless.
>>
https://youtu.be/ggvlwELRmXI

However, Corvo mostly fought people without armor.

Regardless of how weak the design is, it will still fuck up soft targets.

With strong and thick forged high carbon steel, yoiu could even parry lightweight swords no problem if where the blades mate is strong enough.
>>
>>32779942
this

the game is Dishonored btw, and that blade folds in half at that little crease in addition to folding into the handle.

In the game he's basically a court assassin so a handy folding blade made sense and he uses it on soft targets
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>32779700

You aren't working for a video game company. The first thing that game it away was that you posted art from a pre existing game. The second give away was how you think realisim in vidya matters at all.
>>
>>32780821
>>32780811
Gotta a gif by chance?
>>
>>32779976
>knife fights have a lot of blade on blade contact
You are dumb
>>
>>32780849
No gif, I'm technically challenged.

It is a survival machete from WWII passific aircraft
>>
>>32779700
You all autists forget that simplicity is key to everything.
Whats stopping me from getting an axe and bashing your brains with it. while you unfold you mechanism.
>>
Am I reading this right, is the blade itself telescopic? So half of the blade is hollow?

That shit would crack apart instantly.
>>
No, it would be terrible. The closest functional real-life thing is telescopic batons, but that kind of design would be very heavy compared to a non folding sword.

>>32780926
hopefully the design is spring loaded or something. Manually unfolding it would be silly.
>>
>>32781233
>>32780926
I've played a fair bit of Dishonored, and the sword doesn't fold, it telescopes. It will also extend and retract under its own power (somehow). Really, it doesn't seem like something that would ever work in real life, although someone did make a neat plastic replica of it that did collapse, but it wasn't quite the same
>>
>>32779700
If something like it ever got made id buy one.

And for everyone saying "This would suck against shields or armor", why are you charging someone with a shield or body armor on in modern day combat with a sword? This sword was used against unarmored targets who at most could block with their sword.
>>
File: estoc.jpg (13KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
estoc.jpg
13KB, 600x600px
>>32779700
Historically speaking the last swords (most advanced technologically speaking; after hundreds of years of weapon r&d and warfare etc...) were much more thrust/pierce oriented than slashing/cutting; before guns became the de facto interpersonal conflict resolution device.

Pic related was basically the 10mm armor piercing cop killer of melee weapons. You don't cut with it, you stab with it.

If you're talking some kind of steampunky or post-apocalyptic feudalism setting; which I'm assuming based on the picture you posted, and want the "next step" of melee weapon evolution, maybe some kind of pneumatic or spring powered or captive bolt estoc? Would be highly concealable, and also a pretty niche weapon; as in; minimal wound channel, so unless you get someone in a good spot with it, you've just given them a trivial flesh wound, but someone skilled with it and knowledgeable about anatomy could be an extremely efficient at killing people quickly and discreetly with a weapon like that which would be extremely effective against nearly any type of conventional armor (of equivalent technological level) as that basically was the most effective way to defeat full plate by stabbing through the necessary gaps; and if externally powered (pneumatic, spring, captive bolt chemical propellant) it would be feasible to even punch through a few millimeters of solid armor plating like someone would wear, at point blank range.

Basically a retractable spike with a powerful propulsion mechanism; which should function more or less like a bullet fired from a gun within its functional range.
>>
>>32782699
Yes we have all seen assassin creed

This thread needs to combine the axe fags and expandable sword fags into the realistic possibility of extendable axes.

A bearded axe with a handle as long as the axe blade. You can jab with it like bladed brass knuckles or swing and it opens into a full size axe.
Make the extending handle sections oval to keep head alignment.
>>
File: captive-bolt3.jpg (123KB, 555x582px)
captive-bolt3.jpg
123KB, 555x582px
>>32782793
Actually, not talking about ac, I dropped the first game after a few hours and didn't touch a single one of the sequels since. And wasn't that some weird shit where like his finger was replaced with a letter opener or something? I'm talking more about a cattle gun. And before you start talking about no country for old men, please consider that this has long existed before that movie.

Extendability like you are describing looks cool sure, but is ultimately detrimental to the structural integrity of things when placed under stress; which is to say a really stupid idea for tools meant to bash against people
>>
>>32779700
It won't be good in the cut as it's too short (60cm or so ingame, blade should be 45cm long or so), it won't be good in the thrust because of the telescopic blade, any strikes really would be risky because this thing has no tang and the blade is weak in the middle. There is no guard of any sort meaning hands are extemely vulnerable, the mechanism adds complexity in a weapon that needs none.

It's cool as fuck, but shit as a practical design, you'd rather just get a freaking wakizashi/kodachi and be done with it, they are short enough to be concealed anyway and they would be the same thing without all the weaknesses.
If you want a flippy weapon, just get a regular pantographic / butterfly / paratrooper knife.
>>
>>32779700
>moving parts on a sword
Prepare for it to break
>>
>>32782699
>Historically speaking the last swords (most advanced technologically speaking; after hundreds of years of weapon r&d and warfare etc...) were much more thrust/pierce oriented than slashing/cutting; before guns became the de facto interpersonal conflict resolution device.

Not really true, the broadsword was still very much a thing in the times of the sidesword / rapier, then you have all the sorts of sabres, most of which were very much cutting weapons.
The arming sword evolved mostly into thrusting swords (starting with the type XV really), but it's not at all true that all swords went the pointy way. There was always room for thrusting and cutting swords and some of which were good enough for both.
>>
>>32779700
fuck that jagged angle shit
>>
>>32779946
It folds in half.
>>
File: CPistol_Full.png (2MB, 800x600px)
CPistol_Full.png
2MB, 800x600px
>>32779700
None of the weapons in Dishonored make sense.

It's apretty good game regardless.
>>
>>32782913
Fair enough, I was generalizing in the context of small concealable weapons in line with OP's pic and what I was assuming he was looking for. I do not at all disagree with your statement. Although, I think some things along the final swords developed and used for military purposes like Calvary sabers still used in early 1900s are effective, but only in a very specific niche.

Don't get me wrong, I would say from an aesthetics and layman usability standpoint, I'm much more partial to the medium sized slashers like falchions and scimitars, but I think the "pinnacle" of multirole swords are the thin stabbing ones; which is not to say I think a rapier or estoc is particularly stylish or easy to use; but assuming all combatants are equally skilled; I think those with thrusting swords would have an advantage in most combat scenarios (once again conceding that it may not be terrific on horseback, but much more useful in a wide array of other scenarios that are more common than horseback)

And I'm more talking about hunting-sword style estocs as opposed to the two handers with a focus on concealability and maneuverability.

For bigger less stealthy weapons, I'd say the hatchet is probably the best. Compact, manuverable, and the pointy side can be used in a similar fashion as a military pick. Also a fantastic utility item with the axe size, and with modern material sciences and metallurgy, I would imagine you could make a very dense compact hatchet that would have significant penetrative force against armor in a fairly compact package. (this is pure speculation, I don't know much about metallurgy etc... I've watched like a few youtube videos on guys making swords that's about it)
>>
>>32783004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Km5KaeO7I

Of course the one in Dishonored is slightly more ergonomic but the principle is similar. Especially if Corvo still manually actuates the action after each shot as in the first game.
>>
File: CPistol_Acc1.png (490KB, 640x480px)
CPistol_Acc1.png
490KB, 640x480px
>>32783227
The thing is Corvo's pistol doesn't have an actual cylinder, there are no chambers. It's more of a cylinder-like stripper clip.

Since there are no chambers the thing shouldn't be able to fire unless it has some sort of an open bolt mechanism that forces the bullet inside the barrel when you pull the trigger.

>Especially if Corvo still manually actuates the action after each shot as in the first game
With the final reload upgrade he just spins the gun in the air and it magically loads another clip, I have no explanation for this. Before the final upgrades he just reloads it off camera so we can assume he loads a new clip in.

Also, both the standard and Corvo's pistols are inspired by the wheel lock, but use cartridge ammunition. This begs the question, how exactly do you load them before the "magazine" upgrade when it still has a chamber like in pic related and what fuction does the wheel lock serve?

I guess you could just push the cartridge down the barrel (the standard pistol has a ram rod) and the wheel lock could actually be some sort of an internal striker mechanism.

So I guess you could explain everything except for the 360 spin reloading.
>>
>>32783470
> guess you could just push the cartridge down the barrel (the standard pistol has a ram rod)
On another thought, maybe the middle section is an ejection port that you also load the cartridge through.
>>
File: IT FOLDS.jpg (194KB, 1100x1100px)
IT FOLDS.jpg
194KB, 1100x1100px
Behold. Similar concept
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS3BekgltJI
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.