[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the svt-40 as finicky as people say it is, provided that they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_6864.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6864.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Is the svt-40 as finicky as people say it is, provided that they are maintained properly?
>>
>>32758085
No.
>>
>the SVT-40 is finicky

t. Russian conscript
>>
>>32758085
The adjustible gas setting has to be set properly to the rounds being fired. Now this normally isn't a problem except for right when it was being used when you had all kinds of crazy rounds in service with light and heavy ball loads as well special loading and all sorts of supply problems. Combine this with troops needing the knowledge to put it on 1.1 or 1.2 with heavy ball and 1.3 or 1.5 with light ball and you start running into problems.You also need to possibly adjust the gas pison up a notch after protracted shooting gunks up the port and piston.

Properly set it runs like a dream even when you squeeze in two stripper clips of rimmed ammo into the magazine. Low recoil like all short strokes.
>>
Yes. Older semi automatics are usually like this. Even more advanced rifles of the time like the Garand or Ljungman can be very finicky and sometimes dangerous with wrong ammo burn rates. I wouldn't recommend an SVT if you don't have experience with older weapons and know how to deal with them.
>>
>>32758085

Your refurbished gun with mismatched parts from a dozen other rifles is, they were decent then they left the factory before refurb.
>>
>>32758085
That's more of a meme than a reality. The SVT is a proven weapon, but due to low maintenance during WWII the rifles saw some pretty crummy conditions. Its like the Garand, use over powered ammo or don't maintain then pay the price.
>>
>>32758085

I wonder if it suffers from a similar issue many of the Yugo SKSs have? Sometimes the gas tube and piston are corroded enough that it hinders proper function because all of the leaking gases. Kind of like a fag that is blown out from too much gay sex, the rifle simply leaks too much of the gas.
>>
>>32758085
Surprisingly the replies in the thread are all accurate.
The people who say they're shit have probably fired ones who have had their gas setting fucked with (assuming they have tried them at all)
The ONLY problem I have with mine is that it sometimes stovepipes. That's rare though.
>>
>>32758379
That's really true of all tipping block actions I've seen though. The SKS and the FN49 both suffer from it as well.
>>
>>32758397
After regularly firing my SKS for three or so years I haven't had a single malfunction.
I think it's moreso because there is so much material above and around the bolt to catch it moreso than the type of action.
>>
>>32758145
What's even the point of having an adjustable gas system? Why not keep it on full all the time?

This is a serious question. Guns are pretty much impossible to get in my country so I am unable to experiment myself.
>>
I own 5 SVT-40s and they're only finicky if you (two 4 ports, three 12 port, mix and match factories)

>don't set the gas system
>don't tighten the gas cylinder
>seized up full of rust

If you manage to not fuck those three things up, the SVT-40 is perfectly reliable, even when dirty. The second point is usually what trips people up a LOT, it isn't as obvious as the first and last things.
>>
>>32758428
The SVT-40 weighs pretty much the same as an SKS and it's lighter than same length barreled nuggets.

To have something made in WW2 by the russians be that light and still work as well as it does, they had to make it... Well... A little daintier than what people are usually used to with slavguns.

Long story short, the gas system is adjustable so it can take a variety of ammo in various conditions without beating itself to death. Sadly, that doesn't play well with conscripts that don't know what "adjustable" means.
>>
>>32758428
too much pressure in the gas system can cause the gun to damage itself.
>>
>>32758454
>>32758461
Alright.thanks.
>>
>>32758428
So as a semi/full auto firearm with a gas piston starts to foul up from shooting you need to adjust the gas piston to keep up with it. Even modern firearms like a M249 or M240 have adjustment knobs that let you open up to let more gas through a cleaner port.

The reason for this is if you have it fully open then the wear on the firearm can be extremely heavy and cause the various mechanisms to break due to the unrestricted piston.Not to mention severely increased recoil.

Some modern firearms have a self adjusting gas piston on a semi auto firearm which allows it to bleed off more gas as needed.

Lastly this is important with ammo supply. The SVT-40 came out when there were still 182 grain heavy ball and 147 grain light ball loads in mixed service. As well armor piercing and special issue SN sniper loads. Setting the gun as I said to 1.1 or 1.2 allows you to safely and easily fire the heavy ball without malfunction, and possibly AP round, I don't know the grain of the projectile. 1.3 and 1.5 handle light ball without malfunctioniung with 1.5 usually giving a better performance with modern loads, depending on the rifle.
>>
dont forget about mags being numbered to the gun and not really interchangeable. those mags were handfiled to fit that gun and only that gun. its a crapshoot if other mags work or not.
>>
>>32758564
I bought a new mag off sarco and yeah I had to hand file it to fit. Works great though.
>>
>>32758085
No, rifle is fine.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.