[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone on here an officer in the Military? (not sure where else

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5093.jpg (192KB, 361x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5093.jpg
192KB, 361x500px
Anyone on here an officer in the Military? (not sure where else to ask) Here's my question; What degree is best to up my chances of getting a billet I want? I want to get a Humanities degree, but am worried I'll get looked over for someone with a STEM degree. What do?
>>
>>32757151
Your major doesn't matter, your GPA does.
>>
>>32757173
How do I know if my GPA is competitive with the job I want?
>>
Your gpa places you on an order of merit list. The top people and the bottom of the barrel get their first choices, the rest get needs of the military. Now if you want a position in a critics career field that isn't very popular, then you have a chance. That's how it worked when I commissioned in 09
>>
You can get a degree in womens studies if you want. The higher the GPA the better your chances when you get racked and stacked.
>>
Pick a major that you want as a career. You're not going to get a nuke billet if you aren't a nuclear engineer or similar field, for instance.
>>
>>32757264
>bottom of the barrel get their first choices
why tho???
>>
>>32757792
I guess I t was a way to give some the benefit of the doubt, because a good GPA doesn't necessarily mean someone will be a good officer. I've met some great leaders who had a little too much fun in the course of getting their degrees and I've met some real turds who were distinguished military graduates at their commissioning sources and BOLC classes who ended up being a walking safety hazard or doing something wholly unethical.
>>
For Navy ROTC, GPA and degree matter slightly. What really matters is your ranking which is determined by the CO (an O-6), on the advice of the O-3s that work at your unit as instructors. This ranking will make or break what you get. Granted, it's still needs of the Navy and all, but your ranking relative to who your commissioning with matters waaaaay more than GPA and major. The exception being if you want pilot/nfo, the ASTB matters a lot too.

Source: after commissioning, I was stashed for 7 months at my unit and got to shoot the shit with my LTs daily, as well as taking over a lot of administrative duties since our Admin guy (civilian contractor) quit out of no where.

Might not be the same for Army/AF, but this is how it's run for NROTC. Hopefully this helps anyone interested in NROTC.
>>
>>32757620
Absolutely false. I was comp sci, got Cs and Ds in physics and all my math classes, and still selected for nuke subs. All that really matters is a GPA over 2.75 for nuke service selection.

My commissioning class had 4 people. Everyone but me got want they wanted, even though I had a decent GPA and technical major. Granted, I eventually got what I wanted, but it was through a stroke of luck and being on very good terms with my CO
>>
>>32757908
Army ROTC is quite similar, your OML rating was 60% GPA, 30% junior year APFT score and 10% military evaluations (i.e. all 4 years of ROTC plus advanced camp). Unless you want to go to the National Guard, then it's who you know and how well you know them.
>>
>>32757908
What if I want to do SEAL?
>>
>>32757151
It would help if you told us what job you want.
>>
>>32758094
see
>>32758083
>>
>>32757951
What did you want
>>
>>32758083
If you want seal, your pt scores factor heavily. They don't take many people from NROTC for seals either. Last year they took 14 I think, across the entire country.

You also kinda will need to have performed very well at a seal screener the summer going into your senior year.
>>
>>32757792
The most popular branches would get all the stars (ie, infantry) while branches like chemical and adjutant general would be stuck with the lowest achieving people.

>implying your grades grades equals success

That's how the army rationalized it.
>>
>>32757620
>engineer friend got infantry
>history major got engineer

You're so wrong it's stupid
>>
>>32758412
Wanted pilot. Due to blind luck/my CO actually caring about a lowly MIDN 1/C and him being a badass, I never actually had to go to D.C. for my nuke interview.

Now I'm sitting in Pensacola studying for an IFS test.
>>
>>32757151
Technical degrees help for technical jobs but >>32757173
is correct.

So get a 4.0.
>>
>>32757237
need it above 3.5/4.0

as high as possible.
>>
>>32757173
That's not entirely true, but yes, GPA matters more.
>>
When I was in flight school, everything was based on Order of Merit, aka how good your grades and scores were in the courses. This was for both advanced airframe selection and duty station.
>>
>>32757173
Kinda. For the OML, a STEM degree will help. As a biochem&molecular bio major I got 1 full extra oml point, which while it doesn't seem like much, even half a point can put you ahead of several cadets since the oml ranks all the cadets in the nation and the max oml is like 100 points (which is near impossible to get, usually the max you see anyone get is 80 and even that's rare). Our battalion commander is ranked the number 2 cadet in the nation and I'm pretty sure he was in the 80s
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.