[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best AR for under 1,000? I was considering an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 12

What's the best AR for under 1,000?

I was considering an M&P15 But I've heard some mixed reviews about it.
>>
>>32739422
PSA premium upper + PSA finished lower.

If you really want to spend more get a BCM upper of your choice. Outside of the stock, the lower doesn't matter.
>>
>>32739422
Spingfield Saint.
>>
>>32739471
This almost.

The trigger matters a good bit.
>>
>>32739422
Spikes makes a good budget model, the M&P is a good budget model, Aero Precision also makes a good budget model.

You could also build a BCM franken-rifle for around $1100. I personally think this is your best bet for price/quality ratio.
>>
>>32739576
this. just build the lower with quality parts. all you need is a brass hammer and punches. hell, build the upper too if you dont mind the extra work. you get more bang for your buck that way.
>>
As with anything else, it depends on what you want to use it for.
Punching holes in paper?
HD?
Duty/professional use?
Honestly, it's tough to argue with a 6920 oem1 for $750 or a 6720 for $820. Either one is an excellent place to start if you want to add a bunch of accessories, or just add sights, sling and white light of your choosing and shoot it as is.
>>
>>32739576
Well yeah, if he wants something better than a milspec trigger he can build his own lower or swap out the trigger later, but it sounds like he just wants to buy a complete one.
>>
>>32739758
True. For me personally I would prefer a better trigger with a milspec stock than a nice stock with a milspec trigger
>>
>>32739422
http://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/semi-auto/5-56mm-nato-oem-mid-length-16-rifle-sku100018335-81838-174289.aspx
>>
>>32739471
It matters if the lower is out of spec or not. The rollmark itself doesn't matter beyond vanity purposes.
>>
>>32739805
Where the hell can you even buy a non-milspec lower?
>>
File: received_212322122564626.gif (1010KB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
received_212322122564626.gif
1010KB, 400x224px
>>32739471

This, PSA has better quality than many well known companies that charge more for their lesser quality. BCM is going to give you a fair priced upper that will go to hell and back (not that PSA upper won't last a lifetime though). Consider a nicer trigger though, sometimes PSA has Geissele on sale with their lowers for a steal

Most PSA uppers aren't chrome lined, I think all BCM are except their stainless barrels.

Don't buy stainless though OP, theyre more accurate but they burn up and lose accuracy faster, our military gives chrome lined barrels to anyone they expect to dump more than 20 rounds at a time.
>>
File: 1484170849363.png (66KB, 693x496px) Image search: [Google]
1484170849363.png
66KB, 693x496px
>>32739813
>, PSA has better quality than many well known companies that charge more for their lesser quality
>>
>>32739809
Do you think every forging that's finish by every company that puts out AR lowers are always within spec?
Just from a pure manufacturing perspective, that's not possible.
At that point, you're counting on all of those companies to properly QC their products before they're sent out.
That's a lot of faith being put in a lot of different companies.
>>
>>32739422
>M&P15
Apparently it's the best selling rifle in the country. That speaks for a good deal.
>>
>>32739857
I've never heard of anyone getting an out of spec lower that didn't buy a "ghost gun" 80% lower that someone sold them 5 minutes after drilling it out in their garage with an electric drill. I mean I'm sure it has happened but it has to be incredibly rare.
>>
>>32739857
lemons happen but its not a serious concern, even with the cheap lowers.
>>
>>32739721

I was probably gonna get it for target shooting, defense, and fighting tyranny. The usual.

I'll build my own eventually but I want a full one first to get a feel for it
>>
>>32739888
Honestly then rock on man. I don't get super wrapped up in what other people spend their money on.
I was only pointing out, originally, that's there's some excellent deals right now on proven, complete, factory rifles.
A person doesn't have to spend 2k to get a quality AR.
I don't quite see the logic in saving, literally, several dollars, to go with a bargain or value brand over something of a known quality.
But that's me.
>>
>>32739422
Colt LE6920.
>>
>>32739980
I absolutely agree with the sentiment of buy complete first, then build later.
Builds can be fun.
I'd go buy a solid, known quality rifle, and shoot the shit out of it.
Then build whatever you want to later on. At that point, you'll have a little experience to know what direction you want to head in. At that point, hopefully, you have some experience to base your purchasing choices on.
>>
File: K4SheT5.jpg (528KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
K4SheT5.jpg
528KB, 3264x1836px
>>32739471
THIS THIS THIS

The premium PSA upper is GOAT
>>
>>32739985
Because everything PSA puts out, with the exception of their PTAC line, is very good quality.

I also said to get a premium upper from them for a reason, those all have FN made barrels.

>>32740041
There's nothing wrong with buying a prebuilt, but putting an upper and a lower together takes literally two pins, and you get to pick out a combo of parts that you like off the bat.
>>
>>32739422
I have the ruger ar556, no complaints with it
>>
File: raifu.png (1MB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
raifu.png
1MB, 720x1280px
My raifu is an Anderson lower build with a premium PSA upper. Love it to death.
>>
>>32739721
Fuck colt.
>>
>>32740078
Like I said than, rock on. Folks can spend their dollars as they see fit. I'm only speaking from my own perspective, and not trying to convince anyone their choices are somehow wrong.
I do have one point of contention, regarding the whole FN barrel issue, which seems like the rallying cry on folks with PSA guns, but that's neither here nor there.
FN does the processing of the barrel blanks. They do this for many companies. They are made to the specs of those various companies. The barrels are then sent out, finished by, and QC'ed by those various companies.
>>
There really no need to build an ar if you don't want to spend tons on gucci bits. Just buy a solid rifle and it will most like outlive and outshoot you. /k/ is elitist as fuck desu. Of course if you want a gucci ar, then disregard that.
>>
File: IMG_2320.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2320.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>32740147
Meh.
>>
>>32740212
dumb horse poster
>>
>>32739992
This nigga knows.

All other answers are given by autistic poor losers
>>
>>32740350
We'll ok then.
>>
>>32740447
For the record I don't have an issue with people spending as little or as much as they want on an item.
I do think, however, that they should be honest with themselves about that they're getting for a given dollar amount, and especially honest with others who are genuinely asking for advice.
That's all.
>>
>>32739422
It's pretty good considering the price. You can tell where they cut corners, mostly with furniture and the BCG. Those Magpul plastic sites are fucking horrendous. But other than that it's pretty good when you compare to how cheap you can find them.

Even after replacing all the shitty stuff, I still haven't spend 900 dollarydoos on it in total.
>>
>>32739992
>>32740447
this has nearly the exact same specs as many PSA kits but for $300 more. what specifically about this rifle is supposed to be worth the price increase?
>>
>>32739813
What about melonited barrels? Are they as good as chrome?
>>
I used a spikes lower, and the PSA MLOK Freedom MOE rifle kit.

For the basics it was like $750 including the BUIS' that I got from ebay(KAC stolen valor and Magpul MBUS pro).

It will cost you less now because PSA lowered the price of their rifle kit by $100
>>
>>32739422
lurk more
>prices probably wont go anywhere but down at least for ARs.
>you can decide what you want to prioritize for your build.
>cost is the only stipulation you've given us. other than "best" which is meaningless.
heres what I would consider
>I would build your lower from parts, and buy an upper; or go with any major prebuilt rifle company that has decent customer service, they honestly will all go bang, yes you might get a lemon. lemons happen. but as long as you contact the company you will be fine.
>consider weight, bolt and barrel finish, barrel length/pistol versus rifle.
just make sure it has either 1:7, 1:8, 1:9 twist rate.
>nearly everything else is ergonomics.
>>
>>32740992
it has Colt stamped on the ass.
>>
>>32739992
truth
>>
>>32740567

I agree. I have a Bushmaster XM15-E2S. I love it and would recommend it. I've never had a problem with it. I know it isn't M&P15 or Colt LE6920 tier however I like it and for me it does the job.
>>
>2017
>Not looking for a .223 Wylde

Eagle Arms (the same factory that produces Armalite) has a 16" flat top with iron sights and 1;8 chrome-moly bbl, AND it's chambered in .223 Wylde. $650 at J&G.
>>
>>32741229
Don't focus on the rollmark. It's not about loyalty to a brand; it's loyalty to a proven manufacturer with a stringent QA/QC process that has put out large numbers of rifles for a number of years with a consistent end product.
You can substitute LMT, Daniel Defense (though the gas ports on their commercial offerings are larger than I'd prefer), KAC or BCM for Colt in the pony offends you.
>>
>>32739422
I purchased my M&P 15 Sport II for about $560, I have put neerly 50,000 rounds through it. Most of them were reloaded and lower pressure than most rounds you would buy, but i have had absolutely no problems with it, i am going to replace the barrel for a slightly nicer one but the stock one has lasted for a very long time and has been very accurate. The only downside is that it does not maintain it's resale value as well as some other brands.
>>
>>32739422
I purchased my M&P 15 Sport II for about $560, I have put nearly 50,000 rounds through it. Most of them were reloaded and lower pressure than most rounds you would buy, but i have had absolutely no problems with it, i am going to replace the barrel for a slightly nicer one but the stock one has lasted for a very long time and has been very accurate. The only downside is that it does not maintain it's resale value as well as some other brands.
>>
>>32741105
They're better.
>>
>>32739857
It's pretty damn hard to fuck up a lower considering it's CNC machined.
>>
>>32742285
50k rounds? Yeah gonna have a hard time believing that one.
>>
>>32740066
How do I know if the upper is premium?
>>
>>32742354
Not that anon, but some people just have the time and resources.

Just because you're poor and bitter doesnt mean other people cant enjoy things.
>>
>>32742325
Because everything that comes out of a CNC is always finished within tolerances.
So there's never, literally never, a need for any sort of QA/QC process to be in place.
I feel like you need to share with the world, as there are currently thousands and thousands of companies spending billions of dollars on processes that are completely unnecessary.
Sarcasm aside, as I said before, I'm not telling folks how to spend money. I'm encouraging people to be educated consumers. And to be honest with their purchases.
No more, no less.
>>
>>32742354
200 rounds/range trip x 1 range trip/week x 52 weeks/year x 5 years = 52000 rounds

50k is entirely believable. All he has to do is not be poor, or even just not be shit at managing his money and that's completely doable. Hell, you could just not drink or eat out all the time and be able to afford that if you buy a bunch of steelcase.
>>
>>32742529
Stop being so OCD and relax.
>>
>>32739422
Build it yourself

but if you're really determined to buy a pre built AR, get a Windham Weaponry.

the S+W is fine, I've sold almost 100 and we haven't had a single one come back or heard any complaints.
>>
>>32739422
Build your own you retard.

>b-but it's hard

No it's not. Unless you're an idiot.
>>
>>32742764
Well that's sort of the crux of the whole "it's just as good as..." argument. "That whole quality control thing? Fuck it. Who needs that. Just relax".
It's not like I came in here and said "only buy brand xxx" or event "don't ever buy brand zzz".
I just said not every piece of metal that's similarly shaped to another piece of metal is that same.
I also didn't come in and start saying anyone without a $2300 Noveske is a poorfag and they shouldn't even both owning a rifle.
I'm literally talking about spending dozens of dollars more.
But whatever.
>>
>>32742836
What companies are shipping lowers they've done absolutely no QC on? Do you have ANY examples of a lowers being delivered out of spec?

I get what you're saying but all you're really doing is scaring OP into overpaying because he's going to think Andersons and other cheap lowers are crapshoots if he listens to you.
>>
File: 1476478372921.png (680KB, 778x960px) Image search: [Google]
1476478372921.png
680KB, 778x960px
>>32742496
>>
>>32742900
First, I'm not trying to scare anyone into anything. I'm simply trying to point out, foolishly perhaps, that not all companies produce a product of similar quality.
That's it.
If we were talking vehicles, or watches or electronics this wouldn't be so dramatic.
But for whatever reason, folks have a tough time with this when it comes to firearms.
As far as what companies perform no QC? I would think they all have SOME level of QC. What their standards are and how stringently they're held to, that's the issue.
As far as what brands have been delivered out of spec? The first five google results show Anderson, spikes, aero and Noveske.
Again, I'm not telling people how to spend their money. I'm simply recommending that people make a purchase with both eyes open.
>>
>>32743061
>First, I'm not trying to scare anyone into anything

Well thats going to be the effect of what you're doing here.

>I'm simply trying to point out, foolishly perhaps, that not all companies produce a product of similar quality.
That's it.

Ok

>If we were talking vehicles, or watches or electronics this wouldn't be so dramatic.

Because all of those are much more complicated than a block of aluminum machined by a robot or forged by a machine into a lower receiver. A lot more complicated.

>But for whatever reason, folks have a tough time with this when it comes to firearms.

We're not talking about the entire firearm, just the lower. Of course some $400 AR is going to be shit, but the lower itself is nearly impossible to fuck up.

>As far as what brands have been delivered out of spec? The first five google results show Anderson, spikes, aero and Noveske

Fair enough, but did any of those fuck up so bad they kept the guns from working? And if your argument is you have to pay more to get better lowers, saying Anderson and Noveske in the same sentence blows that idea right out of the water. I have two Aero receivers that were blemished and still work entirely fine. The problem with the Andersons people had were that the hole for the grip screw was drilled 3/4" deep rather than an inch, which didn't affect anything.

>Again, I'm not telling people how to spend their money. I'm simply recommending that people make a purchase with both eyes open.

And what you've just posted shows that you can go out and buy an expensive gucci lower and still /maybe/ get one out of spec. The chances of getting one from any of those companies that is fucked up is minuscule. It's a non-issue, but should anyone get a lemon just call up the manufacturer and have them ship you a new one.
>>
>>32739888
>buy a "ghost gun" 80% lower that someone sold them 5 minutes after drilling it out in their garage with an electric drill.
that's highly fucking illegal
>>
>>32743151
I'm aware of that. Doesn't mean people aren't dumb enough to do it, or that you're only really likely to get an out of spec lower if you're dumb enough to go that route.
>>
>>32739422

I got a PSA lower and a Rock River upper that came with both a chrome lined barrel and a chromed bcg.

It was $800 even.
>>
>>32742795

I plan on building one you prick.

I'd like to buy an AR first before I put all that time and effort into building one

I plan on building a 5.56 and a 7.62 in the future but I want a pre-built as a starter
>>
>>32742360
Not their ptac or freedom line
>>
File: 7781740.jpg (16KB, 800x145px) Image search: [Google]
7781740.jpg
16KB, 800x145px
>>32739422
AR noob here, I built my lower and am now shopping around for an upper kit.

>http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-premium-20-5-56-nato-1-7-rifle-length-a2-profile-without-bcg-or-ch-8915.html
20" Barrel length
Chrome moly vanadium barrel
5.56 Nato Chamber
1 in 7" twist rate
Chrome-lined bore
Rifle-length Gas system
HPT/MPI Barrel
M4 Feed ramps
F-Marked Front sight post
A2 Flash Hider
Sling Loop
Standard Hand Guards w/ heat shields
Forged upper receiver
T-Marks

>http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-5-56-nato-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle-1.html
Barrel Length: 20"
Gas System: Rifle-length
Barrel Profile: A2 Style
Barrel Steel: 4150V Chrome Moly Vanadium
Barrel Finish: Melonite
Chrome Lining: None
Muzzle Thread: 1/2-28
Chamber: 5.56 NATO
Twist Rate: 1 in 7"
Barrel Extension: M4
Diameter at Gas Block: .750"
Gas Block Type: F-marked FSB
Muzzle Device: A2 Style
Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6
Receiver Type: M4
Hand guard Type: PSA Classic Tapered Handguards
Bolt Carrier Group Included: Yes
Bolt Steel: Carpenter 158
Bolt Carrier Profile: Full-auto
Charging Handle included: Yes
Overall Length: 28"
Weight as configured: 3.5 lbs

I get that these two are different in that one has a BCG and CH while the other doesn't, but what really sets the more expensive "Premium" option apart from the "Freedom" model?

Are the extra features really worth the extra money?
>>
>>32743027
>"I shoot a lot"
>"N-NO YOU DONT BAKA"
>"He probably has time and money that you don't"
>"WAAAAHHHHHH"

That's how this exchange has gone, thanks for playing.
>>
>>32743149
If the affect of me telling people that bargain companies sell provide bargain levels of quality causes them any great trauma, they have bigger issues than this thread.
You're right regarding the Noveske issue, that's why I never said spend more to get more. I said spend smart and get a known quality.
The watch, car and electronics are all more complex than a lower: the principle is the exact same though. Just on a more obvious scale.
At the end of the day; people are going to buy what they want. I hope, for their own sake, they make wise purchases and enjoy the hell out of them.
Personal experience, not to mention the damn internet, tells me that an unfortunate percent of folks will buy trash.
Caveat emptor and all that.
>>
>>32743261
Do a 16" pencil middy instead.
>>
Is there anything actually wrong with an M&P Sport II? I have one and haven't had any problems through a few thousand rounds. The barrel isn't chromed and the selector switch felt chintzy, but I haven't experienced any problems. I've switched some stuff out, it seems great to me

I won't be insulted if someone says it's shit, I mean I have a nicer AR too, I'm just curious, I've never heard anything bad about them
>>
>>32743390
>Do a 16" pencil middy instead.

But I want a sex spear
>>
>>32743411
Rifle is fine.
>>
>>32743373
You're implying that lower priced ARs are trash and that's not true. You seriously have to be retarded to fuck up an AR.
>>
>>32743411
>Is there anything actually wrong with an M&P Sport II?
No, it's probably the best budget AR on the market.
>>
>>32739471
>BCM
that's some fucking hipster taste

BCM is gay as FUCK.
>>
>>32743439
>hating on BCM
get fucked, newfag
>>
>>32743517
Really nothing to write home about.
>>
File: 1484101511795.jpg (96KB, 635x600px) Image search: [Google]
1484101511795.jpg
96KB, 635x600px
>>32743517
>muh top notch quality control
get fucked, normie
>>
File: 1484838663085.jpg (114KB, 750x592px) Image search: [Google]
1484838663085.jpg
114KB, 750x592px
People on /k/ shit on Bushmaster ARs, but nobody else does.

Just saying.
>>
File: 3477801_1_o.jpg (214KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3477801_1_o.jpg
214KB, 800x1200px
>>32743664
You need to get around more often if you think that
>>
>>32743664
>>32741241
>>
>>32743517
BCM is gay as FUCK.

They spend more on marketing than actual product development. And faggots like you suck it all up.
>>
>>32739471
>>32739422
I've got a premium PSA upper on a M&P15 sport lower. M&P15 was nice for entry level platform (and ready to roll when I bought it) and was easily upgraded with the new upper.
>>
>>32742360
CL or CHF on the barrel or if it has a tiny FN rollmark. The PSA FN barrels are the best.

It should say something like [Caliber][Twist]MP[CL/CHF] Palmetto on the top near the muzzle end of the barrel.
>>
>>32739857
I don't think you know what milspec actually means.
>>
Aero AC-15M

>1:7
>midlength
>$575

why on earth would you buy an M&P Sport
>>
>>32742190
Except I'd actually buy any of those others because they are truly worth the money. The Colt isn't really as good as any of those that you listed, but its in the price range of those rifles. I'd take a PSA blem complete lower with a BCM upper any day over the fucking pony.

Plus Colt does not give a shit about you. They do not give a shit about the market. They accepted government money for too long and forgot how to compete in an actual marketplace. Fuck them. They deserve to die.
>>
>>32743917
Because you can get them for less than $500 on sale.
>>
File: fuckcolt.png (139KB, 497x507px) Image search: [Google]
fuckcolt.png
139KB, 497x507px
>>32743936
This desu senpai
>>
>>32743955
notice I said ac-15m, not the regular ac-15
>>
>>32743972
you know what kind of people buy Aero POORcision? Poor people.
>>
>>32743897
To be clear, my argument was never about "milspec", the term used to describe a product manufactured per the TDP.
My point was about a product meeting a given specification for materials used, process used to manufacture, dimensions and the process used to ensure quality.
Not sure where your thing with "milspec" came from. Unless the term was needed for this round of AR15 bullshit bingo.
>>
>>32744012
now you're just memeing :^(
this is a thread for poorfag recommendations
>>
>>32743373
Different anon

Seriously all the companies buy from the same 3 or 4 lower makers. They're all to millspec. The qc difference is fucking minimal.

The lower is pretty hard to fuck up. Other parts are possible (I found my fail zero bcg wasn't staked) but a lower is such a low probability it's not worth taking about
>>
>>32744028
well, it's a bit more substantial than mere meming, since I don't own a single rifle that's under a grand, and I have quite a few rifles.

I suppose my recommendation for poorfags is to be not poor.
>>
>>32741241

I always thought XM-15 was between the M&P-15 and the LE6920?

So Smith & Wesson > Bushmaster?
>>
>>32739422
M&P 15 Sport II is literally the best "wut AR is gud under $1000" AR
>>
>>32743966
The cobra is kind of cool, and I think its a toe-dip to see if people would buy reproduced snake guns.

But I cannot believe they thought this was a good idea. I cannot believe that in 2016 Colt spent time and money designing: a rail for the delta elite (instead of fixing the fucking unsupported case chamber), a midlength gas system for their free float gun (that they treated like it was some kind of revolution in ARs), and a fucking $2500 reproduction of a gun that doesn't go for that much in its original form (who the fuck was their focus group? like 3 rich fudds?).

Fuck Colt. This is why you don't fucking just plan on running .mil contracts forever.
>>
>>32744019
Nope, you're right. I read >>32739809 and thought that was the topic.
>>
>>32739422

Windham Dissipator.
>>
>>32744056
Yes.

Bushmaster is owned by Freedom Group. The same company that fucked Remingtons.
>>
>>32744056

Idk honestly, they get love here sometimes not as much as the M&P and LE6920. I recommend it any chance I get.
>>
>>32739869
because there are lot of dumb poor people like you, you uncouth faggot.

Nobody likes you here. leave.
>>
>>32743411
Any issue would be with FCG or upper.
>>
>>32743917
Yeah I don't know why you'd get a sport but a sport II is a totally different situation
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.