[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about pistol lanyards. Realistically, are they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 23

File: ct-full-lanyard-belt-005.jpg (98KB, 900x674px) Image search: [Google]
ct-full-lanyard-belt-005.jpg
98KB, 900x674px
Let's talk about pistol lanyards. Realistically, are they really all that practical? Are they issued in any modern militaries?
>>
>>32716794
Yes
>>
>>32716809

good talk, nuff said
>>
File: P.38_Norwegian_Proof.jpg (514KB, 800x576px) Image search: [Google]
P.38_Norwegian_Proof.jpg
514KB, 800x576px
Reminder: If your pistol was not developed with a lanyard loop it belongs in the trash.
>>
File: IMG_4195.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4195.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I dove into this a while ago. They have very certain circumstances where it makes sense.
>where the use of the pistol and need for it being ergonomic and free to move around is less likely then it being stolen/dropped
ex. Jap cops use lanyards with a lot of their revolvers, they almost never get in firefights where ease of ergos and accuracy are an issue. But even they use the collapsable ones.
>where its a sidearm you'll never use but you are in some strange environments
ex. Guys in and out of aircraft who have a primary weapon or who are not going in to engage targets anyway. Or maybe a cop on a boat for example where dropping a pistol is quite of a shitty ordeal.
>>
When I was younger and saw lanyards like that in media, I thought it was connected to some type of power device, since it looked like a telephone cord. I figured it powered shit like a light, laser, maybe a little camera, or maybe that the gun had some kind of bizarre futuristic safety mechanism and wouldn't function if disconnected from the power supply.
>>
File: IMG_4418.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4418.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32716794
The conclusion I came up with was, don't use a lanyard unless dropping the pistol could result in not fucking finding it.

>when I ride a snowmobile or dirtbike ect.
I know it will fall into my suit but its still a bad scenario.

But don't want around with one to prevent your weapon from being stolen off your hip. A retention holster is the solution.
>>
File: come_on_now_ramadi.png (239KB, 292x323px) Image search: [Google]
come_on_now_ramadi.png
239KB, 292x323px
>>32716809
fpbp
>>
>>32716794
They're not really useful with a good holster, as long as you're not a retard.

They're still issued by some LE and military forces, but most of them don't bother anymore.

I've seen some guys buying one for themselves, since a lot of police officers get killed by their own weapon.

I say why not if you feel confortable when shooting with one hooked on your gun, but I don't really like the feeling myself.
>>
>>32716888
Wilson Combat Brigadier
can't hide my boner
>>
>>32716794
Used one back home, i grew up on a ranch so lots of time on 4 wheelers, hunting, etc. Saved my shit on a few occaisons that i probably wouldve lost my gun since most hunting required me to run/trip/slide/roll down mesas at some point or another.
>>
>>32716930
>He's never had to do a tactical roll down a hill during combat
>>
File: IMG_4209.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4209.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>32716931
Ya its a nice gun I enjoy it. Little heavy but I have no problem carrying it.
>>
>>32716948
if you're losing pistols rolling down a hill with your gun out, you might as well kys because you've gone full retard. in modern day armed combat the pistol stays in the holster until something really fucky happens to your rifle while there is a close threat, then you draw, do work, and reholster.
>>
>>32716930
>I've seen some guys buying one for themselves, since a lot of police officers get killed by their own weapon.
How would a lanyard help? Presumably most cops who get killed with their own gun are shot within the lanyard's reach.
>>
>>32716980
>see Taliban, draw, kill him
>incoming RPG
>holster sidearm because it's just how it's done nowadays, Travis Haley told me so
>roll down down hill to dodge RPG knowing that my pistol is safe in my holster
>>
>>32716948
Uh no you're right. Sorry for being a pleb.

I never had to fire my handgun like pic related either. In that case a lanyard is mandatory, sure.

>you will never charge into battle while riding a proud stalion and holding a 1911
>>
>>32716794
I like em.
>>
>>32716990
This is my question too. Especially based on OP's pic, the extended length of the lanyard is more than enough for someone to draw your weapon from behind and have it trained on you without any real strain.
>>
>>32716990
It's more about peace of mind I guess. They just want to make sure they can't lose their weapon if they somehow manage to drop it.

Like I said, you need to be a complete retard to let stuff like that happen.
>>
>>32716990
You can grab the lanyard and yank it to regain control of your weapon or just start running
>>
>>32717079
The lanyard isn't for weapon retention, that's what a level 2-3 holster is for. The string is so that you don't lose your gun during transit in a vehicle or during combat maneuvers. Holsters can break, hands can get slippery.
>>
OP here. Solid advice. I ask because I just got one for free. I guess I'll make it part of my innawoods kit just in the off chance I take a tumble with my pistol drawn.
>>
>>32717155
Or if your holster malfunctions, or if you didn't seat the pistol properly in your holster, or if your holster gets shot and breaks, or if gun gets knocked out of your hand by enemy or environment, or you hands get slippery from rain, mud and blood, or you were holding your gun and get hit by a shot, an ied, or a vehicle and you go flying, or if you go swimming and your gear bumps the holster retention and you lose it in the deeps, etc.

You won't need it at the range. But it's for the same reason we have slings on rifles.
>>
>>32716954
What holster do you use?
>>
File: IMG_4212.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4212.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>32717266
JMCustom kydex. Took 2 months to get but they are very nice. Super slim to the body and whatnot.

Will dump moar pics of holster if you want.
>>
>Let's talk about pistol lanyards.
Ok.
>Realistically, are they really all that practical?
There is literally nothing more practical than actually tying something to your body to prevent loss.
>Are they issued in any modern militaries?
Yes.
>>
>>32717284
Please do. I have a Clinger one that is alright for IWB, but my Beretta really should be OWB.
>>
>>32716794
>Practical
Do you in engage in activities that might cause your sidearm to come out of the holster without you immediately noticing?

Do you ride in helicopters with your sidearm often?

Do you take long swims with your sidearm holstered?

If you answered yes to any of the above, then yes they are practical.

If no, you look like an absolute moron using them. It's always fun seeing the fat mall ninjas using them at the indoor range though.
>>
File: IMG_4217.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4217.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32717324
Dump, engage.
>>
It works for motorcycle cops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n8KrdixvZc
>>
File: IMG_4215.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4215.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32717336
>>
File: IMG_4076.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4076.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32717352
>>
File: IMG_3926.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3926.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32717372
/set
>>
File: 19iraq2-superJumbo.jpg (484KB, 2048x1468px) Image search: [Google]
19iraq2-superJumbo.jpg
484KB, 2048x1468px
>>32717284
nice, i love my JM custom IWB

>>32717003
a scenario that pretty much doesn't happen ever. if you are in a range where you can effectively engage the enemy with your pistol, it means you're in an urban or at least densely vegetated area where you have some cover to dive behind when RPGs start flying.

furthermore if you think you're doing acrobatics to dodge RPGs you're also stupid. just get on the damn ground and open your mouth for overpressure. you're not gonna be able to roll very far with your rifle dangling by the sling and wearing full kit. you're just going to tangle your shit up between your sling and your lanyard and make everything worse.

>>32717216
>your holster malfunctions
rare af if you bought a non-shit holster
>you didn't seat the pistol properly in your holster
then you're retarded, its not that hard
>if your holster gets shot and breaks
then your pistol probably isn't safe to fire so fuck it
>if gun gets knocked out of your hand by enemy or environment
pick it up once you've eliminated the threat
>or you hands get slippery from rain, mud and blood, or you were holding your gun and get hit by a shot, an ied, or a vehicle and you go flying
see above
>if you go swimming and your gear bumps the holster retention and you lose it in the deeps
doesn't happen if you have a non-shit holster
>>
>>32717336
>>32717352
>>32717372
>>32717380
Good stuff. Thank you.
>>
>>32717003
Hollywood video game nerd virgin: the post

Not sure you could fit more delusion in your post to be honest with you.
>>
anyways, the holster is the handgun equivalent to a rifle sling. how many people would put on a second rifle sling just in case the first one breaks? probably like 0 people, because it's stupid as fuck.

so why do so many people want like 5 layers of retention on their handguns? if anything it's easier to break a rifle sling than a holster
>>
>>32717447
>noguns the post

>>32717501
wtf are you talking about m8? Which part of it can't possibly happen? The Taliban, RPGs, handguns, fighting on mountains?
>>
>>32716794
They make sense if you're on horseback or on a boat. Maybe super deep snow.
>>
>>32716794
I mean, it stops you from losing your pistol. So yeah, textbook practicality.
>bumping down road
>pistol falls out
>oh noooo!
>dont worry!
>the pistol is attached to you with a string so there's no worry if you drop it
>>
File: 1484495825145.jpg (160KB, 960x829px) Image search: [Google]
1484495825145.jpg
160KB, 960x829px
>>32716794
>has never lost a pistol on an objective

Real crazy shit happens sometimes.
>>
>>32717579
explain why that was noguns

>The Taliban, RPGs, handguns, fighting on mountains?
spoken like someone who has never actually been to afghanistan. if you're in the mountains, leave your damn pistol in the holster even if your rifle malfunctions, cause you're going to have a hell of a time shooting tommy taliban at 800 yards with your ironsighted 9mm.

>>32717592
it's also a snag hazard.
>>
>>32717644
>it's also a snag hazard.
Back tracking through shit ditches hunting for your M9 with white lights and PVS7's is more of a hazard. Learning the hard way sucks.

#dculife
>>
>>32717644
Are you legit retarded? Why have a pistol then if all your enemies are at 800m? Obviously that's not true.

You're no guns because you think gear never breaks, even well made ones. Your reading comprehension is garbage. I used hyperbole to make a point, you took it literally like everyone will be doing flips to dodge rockets or something.
>gun makers make all guns with lanyard holes
>militaries with real war experience issue lanyards
>solidiers use lanyards
>cops use lanyards
>HURRR DURR THEY ARE ALL RETARDED I KNOW BEST, LANYARDS ARE USELESS
Ask me how I know you're underageb&?
>>
>>32716794
If its important, have it tied to you.
>>
>>32717644
Thats why you don't have 10ft of lanyard and you tuck the rope in your pocket or beltloop. Despite claims from women in the 60s the phone cord lanyards are actually pretty hard to snag shit on.
>carried beretta in shitty gov't holster through the thickest brier patch in Louisiana on multiple occasions
>>
File: 6971007070_c154c5ba17_z.jpg (225KB, 471x640px) Image search: [Google]
6971007070_c154c5ba17_z.jpg
225KB, 471x640px
>>32717688
how'd you lose the pistol? in my experience most of the time people lose guns its because they got issued a shit holster or they did something retarded while riding in a vehicle

also that's typical army admin mindset. in actual combat getting snagged up can cost you your life. the consequences of losing a freaking pistol are light in comparison.

>>32717716
>Why have a pistol then if all your enemies are at 800m?
if you're the poor sucker carrying a m240 you kind of need something useful if you end up having to clear a compound. otherwise some people (read: cherry lieutenants) are just retarded and like to carry pistols cause they can

>You're no guns because you think gear never breaks, even well made ones.
as someone who has used high quality holsters i have never broken any, and i've never met anyone who's lost a pistol to a broken holster.

>solidiers use lanyards
>cops use lanyards
>HURRR DURR THEY ARE ALL RETARDED I KNOW BEST, LANYARDS ARE USELESS
except none of the guys who get a choice actually use them. i've literally never met a single GWOT-era SOF guy who thinks it's worthwhile to have a pistol lanyard. I also know a number of very competent cops, none of whom use pistol lanyards. hell you can even see in the pic of the CAG guys above, no pistol lanyard needed.
>>
>>32717794
>the consequences of losing a freaking pistol are light in comparison.
tell that to the armory master
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 511x511px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 511x511px
>>32717021
>mfw

Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1V3JW4HeBs
For bonus feels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWINsaEpnw
>>
>>32717809
>tell that to the armory master
better than being dead is all i can say. if you're really that worried about losing a pistol then use a lanyard in FTXs and shit, then take it off when in actual combat.
>>
>>32716888
How does a lanyard beat a retention holster when you're worried about dropping your pistol because it's shitty to find it?
>>
>>32717794
>as someone who has used high quality holsters i have never broken any, and i've never met anyone who's lost a pistol to a broken holster.
I'm sure you put those holsters through the grinder of combat.

>i've literally never met a single GWOT-era SOF guy who thinks it's worthwhile to have a pistol lanyard
SF also won't get their shit pushed in for losing a sidearm. They are snowflakes. Some of them don't even wear plates on missions, so everyone should dump armor? Also you're cherry picking pictures and using anecdotal evidence. Lanyards are an option. It doesn't mean they are a bad idea.

Your whole argument is lanyards are not useful most of the time, so don't ever use them. Well no shit genius, they are a backup for just in case shit happens.
>Why carry a sidearm at all?
>Your primary rarely malfunctions and it's probably faster to reload.
See? Your logic is retarded.
>>
File: pRbSLAF.jpg (921KB, 5508x3780px) Image search: [Google]
pRbSLAF.jpg
921KB, 5508x3780px
>>32717883
>I'm sure you put those holsters through the grinder of combat.
i never got blown up if that's what you're talking about

>SF also won't get their shit pushed in for losing a sidearm. They are snowflakes. Some of them don't even wear plates on missions, so everyone should dump armor?
spoken like someone who has never been in the military

>Also you're cherry picking pictures and using anecdotal evidence.
ok, go to some airsoft forum and find me 5 pictures of US SOF guys with pistol lanyards. seeing as you should be able to churn through like 300 pics in 30 minutes, it should be easy to find guys using lanyards, right? or maybe im telling the truth and they're actually widely unpopular

>Your whole argument is lanyards are not useful most of the time, so don't ever use them.
they are a snag hazard all the time, but they only ever prove useful in an incredibly small number of situations
>>
File: squareblackradiothing.jpg (36KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
squareblackradiothing.jpg
36KB, 225x225px
>>32717794
>how'd you lose the pistol?
Jumping shit ditches in a hurried fashion inna dark.

>they got issued a shit holster
Eagle Industries. It was the bees knees back in the day and it was even in woodland BDU camo. Mind you this was prior to the rise of kydex holsters.

>also that's typical army admin mindset
Tell me something new.

>in actual combat getting snagged up can cost you your life
There's about every other piece of shit on your kit than can and does get snagged.

>the consequences of losing a freaking pistol are light in comparison.
Speak for yourself on that one.
>>
>>32717866
It's almost like the lanyard is for when it isn't in the fucking holster or something idiot
>>
>>32718069
>Eagle Industries. It was the bees knees back in the day and it was even in woodland BDU camo. Mind you this was prior to the rise of kydex holsters.
so yeah by modern standards it was shit

>There's about every other piece of shit on your kit than can and does get snagged.
true but the point is to minimize them. it's a cost/benefit analysis thing. rifle slings are snag hazards but they're extremely useful. lanyards are snag hazards but only come in handy extremely rarely

>Speak for yourself on that one.
ok
>>
>>32718106
>so yeah by modern standards it was shit
no? eagle industries is still great, and holsters don't fucking just depreciate over time.
>>
>>32718208
it's a floppy nylon holster, the time for those has long since been passed by.

i bet you that with a safariland als you would not have lost that pistol
>>
>>32717866
It's almost as if, bear with me here, you can use both. Shocking, I know.
>>
File: neverforget-18.gif (101KB, 492x492px) Image search: [Google]
neverforget-18.gif
101KB, 492x492px
>>32718208
I'm the anon he's talking to. I'll support >>32718237 this and say that there a lot better holsters out there this day and age.
>>
>>32717021
good i work with horses. horses suck. id rather ride a unicycle into war than horse. at least when a unicycle fucks up it wont kick you to death.
>>
File: image.jpg (92KB, 853x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92KB, 853x960px
>>32718329
The problem here is that horses can sense when you're being a little bitch and they react accordingly.
>>
>>32716794
>Realistically, are they really all that practical?
probably not if you don't have parkensons and can hold onto your gun properly

it also seems like itd be dangerous to just let your pistol dangle around on a string instead of be properly secured in a holster when not in use

>Are they issued in any modern militaries?
I've never seen one and the Sigs we use dont have a loop for one anyway
>>
>>32718378
This.
>>
File: tumblr_o4ifzrYVJH1travyco4_250.gif (2MB, 210x280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4ifzrYVJH1travyco4_250.gif
2MB, 210x280px
>>32718329
>>32718378
horse is friend to every man

every man that is not a bitch.
>>
>>32718468
>>32718405
>>32718378
T. People from some big Shitty who have no saddle time
>>
horses are meant to be eaten

>>32718558
im a city slicker but got to ride a horse a couple times as a kid

it was shit and horses are terrible creatures.

now i listen to "VIPtronic 666 horses corpses" every day
>>
>>32718580
I grew up on a farm, I've been riding since I could walk. I never had a bad experience with a horse myself in my decades of riding but can confirm horses suck. If you think Horses are every man's friend you've never dealt with one that has been spooked for no apparent reason at all and tried to calm it down before it fucking tramples someone.
>>
>>32718609
I wasn't even being ironic. I just really did not enjoy riding a horse, and being on a spooked horse is even more awful.
>>
>>32718609
This.
>is that a root?
>it's probably a root
>but what if it's a hooded viper?
>comence the spookin'
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 600x551px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 600x551px
>>32718558
Nope. Grew up around horses. Rode them since I could sit in a saddle.

Beyond that they were used in battle for millennia. By people who weren't little bitches.

Though in fairness they were ridden more often and thus better trained and less likely to spook.

Doesn't change the fact that you're a little bitch.
>>
>>32719004
Ok Duke, shuffle off with your high horse then
>>
>>32717372
great ass ;)
>>
>>32717564

Unlike a holster, a rifle sling can retain the thing while you are actively using it.

If a holster could, lanyards wouldn't be needed. But it can't, unless you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>32717447
The amount of imagination it takes for you to say things CAN'T happen is almost impressive
>>
File: image.jpg (438KB, 1000x1269px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
438KB, 1000x1269px
>>32719041
Will do peasant.

>>32719326
Back on topic this guy is right. Slings are not equivalent to holsters.
>>
>>32717325
>using them at the indoor range though

You practice the way you carry.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.