[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the deal with the ever increasing fad about SBR's?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6

File: download (9).jpg (6KB, 294x171px) Image search: [Google]
download (9).jpg
6KB, 294x171px
What's the deal with the ever increasing fad about SBR's?

I know they look cool, and that they're awesome, and that they offer more mobility and are easy to conceal. (Actually, personally, I think they are the Tyrion Lannister of funs, ugly and weird but great). But is it worth the entire hustle and the possibility of being harassed or raided by the ATF just so one could have a dwarf AR?

Don't call me a retard, this is a legit question. Even tho I'd love to have one, I can't see myself every buying or using one. Since it's shorter it will lose velocity and accuracy. Range will be compromised. Since a lot of people won't fit them with a stock, they are an unstable shooting platform. Even in closed spaces, police or military will still use their regular long rifle, or switch to a sidearm. And even if one expects to be in a situation their SBR in CQC, then why not switch to a shotgun for effectiveness (considering the loss in velocity on the SBR or AR-Pistol).

Thanks for the answers in advance.
>>
>>32715692
Not OP but
>inb4 hurr it wont lose accuracy
Your sight radius is larger, therefore you lose accuracy
>>
SBRs are for fun and absolutely nothing else.
Full size rifles are for doing work.

t. NFA cuck with two dozen stamps
>>
>>32715692
From what I've seen it's mostly mall ninjas that want to be Tier 1 speshul forcez or people that just want small truck guns. I kinda like them aesthetically, especially with those stocks in your pic OP. And I guess it is handy to be able to have a large capacity rifle caliber in a small platform like that, even if you do lose that velocity and range.
>>
>>32715692
Because theres no point lugging around an extra half a foot of barrel if the caliber doesnt need it. That length could go towards a suppressor to make your gun more quiet and comfortable to shoot
>>
Home defense. A lot of people are buying into AR's for HD and want something very compact for house or car carry. Or they're buying them "because", which is pretty common. Either way nobody is buying one of those and expecting to snipe with it, they want to be Steven Seagal and strafe around corners with it. I don't think they'd be any good for 3-gun competition but the lower weight and size is a bonus.
>>
>>32715725
>with two dozen stamps
if i had your money, i could burn mine...
>>
>>32715692
>raided by the ATF
No. Having Title II firearms does not mean the ATF can or will just raid you.
>>
>>32715749
5.56 DOES need that barrel though
>>
>>32715692
Modern ammo is making shorter barrels more viable. Plus since spec ops/contractors use them a lot, people see that and want them more for the cool factor, like owning a bunch of MultiCam shit

Also people aren't as wary of the ATF tax stamp shit as they used to be. And with Trump in office the NFA might just go bye-bye
>>
>>32715764
Modern 5.56 loads (Mk318. Mk262) have been shown to fragment reliably even out of 10-11" barrels
>>
>>32715692
>What's the deal with the ever increasing fad about SBR's?
Petulant children thinking they're "getting back" at the ATF by playing directly into their hands.
>>
>>32715764
Hmmm, that's weird, i looked at the OP and didn't see anything about 5.56,could you point to it for me?
AR lowers aren't caliber specific.

Personally I'd rather pin a user-servicable silencer to bring it to length. No stamps required if the HPA passes
>>
>>32715764
Oh god this fucking meme again.

Stop saying this stupid bullshit.
>>
>>32715769
I don't get people who pin muzzle devices.
>>
>>32715692
>Since a lot of people won't fit them with a stock, they are an unstable shooting platform.
You're thinking of purely AR pistols, they aren't meant to be stable shooting platforms. Just a finger to the ATF more than anything. Anybody who buys an SBR with the legitimate intention of shooting it well will use a stock
>Even in closed spaces, police or military will still use their regular long rifle, or switch to a sidearm.
What is your point here? Of course a cop or soldier isn't going to run back to their Implala/MRAP to swap their AR out for a short AR if the situation involves close spaces.
>And even if one expects to be in a situation their SBR in CQC, then why not switch to a shotgun for effectiveness
From the military perspective, shotguns are more tools than weapons. For a civilian gun owner with HD in mind, shotguns are shit. While they undeniably make the nastiest wounds, their effectiveness is wildly overhyped by movies and an AR will be better in every way, so why not use a short one?
>>
>>32715801
How often do you remove yours?
>>
>muh modern ammo
>ignoring muh modern ammo being far too overpriced to shoot as much as you should
I'll care about building a sbr when the ammo that actually works isn't $0.70+ a round.
>>
File: derp.gif (565KB, 147x154px) Image search: [Google]
derp.gif
565KB, 147x154px
>shotguns are shit.
>>
On this sort of topic, I'd there any benefit to buying some kind of pistoled up SMG like an SP5 and sticking a stock on it beyond aesthetics and cool leet oper8r factor?
>>
>>32715860
Sub guns have no purpose other than fun.
>>
>>32715811
It's not the removal, it's the pin and weld itself I don't like.
>>
File: 1484167695500.jpg (110KB, 540x592px) Image search: [Google]
1484167695500.jpg
110KB, 540x592px
>>32715692
Because with a suppressor attached a 10-12 ar is far more manageable than a 14-20 ar with a suppressor mounted.

Because the loss of velocity/accuracy between a 10.5 and a 14.5 is marginal at best.
>>
File: 1483235757371.gif (997KB, 269x201px) Image search: [Google]
1483235757371.gif
997KB, 269x201px
>Shitty AR SBR's everywhere.
>No bullpup master race.
>its .40 S&W all over again.
>>
>>32716016
>loads of people flocking to inferior bullpup designs
You're right, it is like .40 all over again.
>>
>>32716016
It's really hard to SBR a bullpup. They basically have to be purpose built to SBR like the ps90 or ksg nr.
>>
>>32715692
What's the difference tho? Arent most suppressed SBR's at 16" ish? You're giving up effective range for less noise. I prefer 16 inch, feels like the jack of all trades with a good optic.
>>
File: japaneserobotbaby_1.jpg (4KB, 108x116px) Image search: [Google]
japaneserobotbaby_1.jpg
4KB, 108x116px
>>32716016
>bullpup for CQB

It's like you want to eat casings
>>
>>32715839
11.5 inch 5.56 sbr with m193 fragments out to 50 yards reliably.
>>
>>32716131
Depending on how those rounds do in going through sheetrock and the rest of the house that may be a option
>>
>>32715720
THIS. SBR AR's are so bad that you are lucky to get 10MOA at 10 yards, anything past that and you are just praying something lands in the same direction of what you were aiming at.
>>
>>32715757
>$2,400 is a lot
I sometimes forget what it was like being a poorfag.
>>
>>32716342
>10moa at 10 yards
Lolwtf
>>
>>32715720
Pretty sure 98% of people with AR's mount optics so sight radius doesn't matter.
>>32716352
4chan is full of people that are on year 7 of working on their bachelors degree from their parents house. One day they'll get a real job and be able to have nice things.
>>
>>32715692
Maybe I want a rifle that I can legally conceal carry under my black trench coat and won't hit my black sunglasses? Did you ever think of that OP?
>>
>>32716352
>can't do basic maths
Poorfag detected.
>>
File: JustA45calPistol.jpg (138KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
JustA45calPistol.jpg
138KB, 700x700px
>>32715692

Its the perfect weapon for close combat, period.

Its long enough to provide a good sight radius and stability to engage out to medium range.

Because its got 3 points of contact and front weight to balance the shooter's movement (but not as much as a rifle) it handles Really Well.

> This is in contrast to a pistol with a stock such as a BHP or Luger because they're so light that with the 3rd point of control its too Easy to overcompensate aim on target acquisition.

Its short enough to be portable, usable in close quarters, and quickly acquire targets (the longer barrel of a rifle makes it harder to swing around predictably, it takes longer or you overcompensate by applying too much force).

This IS the reason they were banned, because they are apex tier effectiveness and they wanted to make sure their Police / Swat / Federals had those guns as an advantage.

> and if you're a bad guy with an SBR they have an extra Charge to weigh against you in court.

> not being able to get one without special approval process means its banned

Calibers and Firepower:
Having a stock means you can easily use more powerful ammunition for the weapon.

The difference legally between a .22 Handgun with a stock, and a .300 blackout AR pistol is enough in effectiveness (accuracy) that Law Enforcement thinks the former is more dangerous than the latter.

But having a stock means you can fire .300 or .308 or even .458 and - in this small package of a weapon, you are delivering shotgun levels of firepower in a controllable manner.

TLDR - SBRs are the most Effective weapons and thats the reason they are becoming a hot item.

Its taking a step forward in gun technology rather than a step backward (which is odd since we've had SMGs for longer than SBRs have been banned).

They are not hunting weapons for long range, though maybe somebody can trick theirs out so that it does. Every weapon has a Purpose its built for.

If you want to shoot a Moose at 500 yards use a 338
>>
>>32715692
>no fun allowed
>caring what other people do with their money
>cqb weapon
>hurr long range accuracy
>>
An SBR w/ suppressor sounds like a good home defense gun but I'm worried about the meme of "people will see your tacticool baby killer and think you're been waiting to murder someone" meme
>>
>>32716467

> long range accuracy

I saw a 458 socom with a ladder sight.

My face when 458 is like a 45-70 and those fuckers are known to ---sail---

>mfw the first 30-06 was a heavier bullet required to shoot out to a maximum range similar to the 45-70, then they nerfed it

Heavy bullets might fly like a rock but they land where you put them if you're aiming right.
>>
>>32715979
It doesn't harm your barrel in any way. Unless you really fuck it up I guess.
>>
>>32716342
>10MOA at 10 yards
I don't think you know what MOA is, newfriend.
>>
>>32716457
>maths
Yurocuck detected
>>
>>32715989
came here to say this
>300 blackout
>458 socom

>>32716460
this guy knows
>>
>>32716473
if you ever worry what other people think, the subject of what you worry about becomes irrelevant. the nonsense is in their minds not yours.
>>
>>32716525
You uneducated nigger it's not a color/colour thing.
>>
>>32715692
>Since a lot of people won't fit them with a stock
wat
>the possibility of being harassed or raided by the ATF
wat
>>
>>32716555
Still Bongspeak
>>
>>32716587
It's proper English.
>>
>>32716595
>proper English
B O N G S P E A K
>>
>>32716595
Call me back when you land on the moon and have a carrier without poverty ramps. Bongistan is the irrelevant old man of the Anglosphere.
>>
>>32716131
My point was that m193 can't fragment at longer ranges reliably out of a short barrel.
>>
>>32716534
Yeah man

I mean an SBR? its a Submachinegun that just doesnt have full auto.

Whats some of the most effective weapons in history?
The MP40
The MP5

These are SBRs and the only range issues these guns have is because of the ammo they use.

A slightly larger magazine footprint on the weapon is all it takes to change up the potential for terminal and range effectiveness, and it doesnt really demand a Larger weapon.

300 yards reliability is nothing to laugh at, most soldiers out in the field dont even identify enemies until that range and due to their own accuracy they'd rather not engage until 150.

Considering that a Pistol has 50 yards reach just because of sight radius, and even an SBR in pistol caliber is only reliable to 150...

They're just fine on aiming accurately, and when you're going into a building or room you dont want an extra 6-8 inches of gun barrel sticking out that restricts your movement so that the barrel isn't jabbing the door or some corner of the hallway.

> because you're not moving carefully, you're often running, and you've got buddies to watch out for too.

> shorter barrel means you dont have to be standing off as far from an obstacle before you can RAISE your WEAPON

The Stg44 was more effective than the MP-40 only because of the effectiveness of the ammunition itself. As a repeating rifle it was effective enough to prove an advantage. But 200 yards reliability isnt much considering their high powered rifles of the time could reach 600 no problem if the shooter was good enough.

> also while people will say 5.56mm is shit out of an SBR it makes a hell of a bang and its still got more firepower and penetration than a 5.7 meme.
>>
>>32716648

Whats some of the most effective weapons in history?
The MP40
The MP5

where are you getting those facts
>>
>>32716648
>Whats some of the most effective weapons in history?
Define effective
>>
>>32716595
>maths is proper english
No it fucking isn't. Putting an "s" at the end of math makes no sense.
>>
>>32716457
>>32716555
>>32716595
>there's an "s" on the end of mathematics, there should be an "s" on maths
Other abbreviations of words that end in "s" aren't abbreviated ending in "s".

>mathematics is plural so you need an "s" in the abbreviation.
Mathematics isn't plural. You use mathematics as a singular, like "mathematics is interesting", or "math is interesting".

There is no actual reason to put an "s" in math. At all.

Go fuck yourself you britbong faggot.
>>
>>32715839
So shoot cheap 55gr wolf for most of your training and use better ammo for reconfirming zero and shooting bad guys.
>>
>>32716467
I just wanted to get educated, you impolite piece of trash
>>
>>32716609
And America is not part of the Anglosphere.
>>
>>32716644
When are you ever going to kill someone at over 50 yards as a civilian?
>>
>>32716949
When is anyone in this thread going to actually use their guns to shoot another person?
>>
>>32716959
Probably never, thanks for agreeing with me.
>>
>>32716959
There's a few people in military and LE on /k/. Some people in LE have to purchase their own weapons and ammo, thought hopefully they don't go to /k/ for weapons and ammo advice.
>>
>>32715692
>don't call me a retard

But you are a retard. You don't know about calibers (.300, pistol calibers) or modern rounds (mk262) that excel or at least perform adequately from a short barrel

>Even in closed spaces, police or military will still use their regular long rifle, or switch to a sidearm

This is the stupidest part of your entire post. Police and mil use what they are issued or what they are allowed to procure. Marines didn't have 10.3 uppers just hanging around and chose to fight the battle of fallujah with 20" M16's for shits and gigs. It's also not fucking cowadooty where you switch to your pistol and your movement speed magically speeds up making you better at cqb.

Your whole post fucking sucks and you need to lurk more before killing threads with your leddit tier shitposting
>>
>>32716973
np
>>
>>32716934
English-speaking country, therefore Anglosphere.
>>
>>32717050
Go fuck yourself, lime sympathizer. We killed scores of those faggots in from 1776 to 1815 so we wouldn't have to associate with those bitches.
>>
>>32716974
/k/ is just as good (read: stupid) as anywhere else.
>>
>>32716976
Not necessarily true. My units SOP for vehicle takedowns is to transition to pistol when you're close, for a variety of reasons, primarily because you can get a lot closer to the vehicle and work angles better, but also because 5.56 generally deflects worse than pistol rounds through auto glass.
>>
>>32717121
You seem to be confusing me with someone who doesn't think America has surpassed the bongs in every way to become the greatest nation of the Anglosphere. Everyone else tags along behind us now.
>>
>>32715692
dont forget deafening noise without a can
>>
>>32716342
>has never owned a gun
>>
>>32717147
Why are you letting them get that close? You know the car doesn't stop immediately because the driver is dead, right? Really the only chance to stop a vehicle with a firearm is to hit a differential and hope it breaks enough to seize up.
>>
>>32717193
You're completely misjudging the intent of a vehicle takedown. It's us moving up on a vehicle that is stopped or disabled. Potentially with shoots and no shoots inside.
>>
>>32717193
>critical thinking
>>
>>32717269
Oh, I did misunderstand.
>>
>>32716130
t. left handed shooter??
>>
>>32717147
I wasn't trying to imply that pistols don't have their place for mil/Leo applications, I was more just trying to shit on OP for his retarded train of thought that SBR's don't have a use because cops/operators/war fighters/child soldiers apparently prefer to use full length rifles and carbines, or handguns with nothing in between even if it's an option to do so.
>>
>>32717507
I gotcha, which is funny because OP is way off base. Most SWAT teams I've ever worked with use SBR's, and most specwar guys use SBR's with a can.
>>
>>32715692
>"Don't call me a retard"
>proceed to spout a bunch of myths and retarded shit
>>
>>32715720
Hey asshat, the sight radius is smaller on an SBR which is why it's less accurate.
>>
It's fine as long as you aren't using 5.56mm. Once you get below 11 inches of barrel, 5.56mm sucks dick. It's better to use .300 BLK at that point.
>>
>>32716460

Agreed and old person-like typing detected.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.