[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do movies exaggerate the hardness of defusing terrorist IEDs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: Screaming doll det.png (2MB, 794x1209px) Image search: [Google]
Screaming doll det.png
2MB, 794x1209px
Why do movies exaggerate the hardness of defusing terrorist IEDs?
i'm talking about the "Which wire do i cut" bullshit

As we all know bombs (take a C4 charge for example) are made of

>the detonator (usually a phone vibrator hooked to some batteries, or an electric trigger)
>electric cord to link between explosives and detonator
>secondary explosive (like a PETN cord that makes a small boom to activate the primary charge, the big boom)
>primary explosive (the white cheese known as C4, the real deal)

so, to defuse it is to cut the link between the detonator and the secondary explosive
Why do movies display it as a complex thing? like just cut the damn wire

thoughts?
>>
>>32715187
Entertainment
>>
OP here, i got the primary explosives and secondary explosives mixed up

primary explosive is 'output explosive'
and secondary explosive are 'primary explosive' (the blasting cap)
>>
>>32715214
/Thread
>>
Any decent bomb will be negative activation so cutting connection from the activator, which in this case stops sending power or signal in the event of detonation, triggers it.
>>
>>32715261
like a dead man's switch?

how does it work on a phone detonator? the det isn't constantly sending signals, so how would the explosive know that the detonator has been unplugged?

Please elaborate
>>
>How to disarm IEDs, a primer
>is there an IED?
>If yes, back away
>shoot it until it blows up
>Keep going
>>
>>32715294
Needs additional steps. Namely something that will supply power/signal until it itself recieves power/signal, and an opposite system on the other end. Make it a closed system so they can't get in to the delicate bits of your logix circuit without triggering it. I hope you understand why I don't want to get into extreme detail about how to make the perfect bomb on this FBI honeypotting meme exchange.
Also cell phone bombs are shit, they'll just jam the entire comms range and then go looking for it. Then no matter how well done it is they can just put it somewhere in Nevada and let it blow.
>>
File: stupid.jpg (81KB, 687x369px) Image search: [Google]
stupid.jpg
81KB, 687x369px
>>
>>32715294
He said "decent" bomb, not some amateur nigger rigged shit. You can easily incorporate things like mercury switches, pressure plates, and defensive wiring (wrapping parts of the bomb you don't want cut in wiring that will set it off if it is cut), or surrounding the bomb with boobytrap triggers like a mix of tension and tension release trip wires; but that sort of stuff is pretty much impossible to get around and makes for poor entertainment. There is a reason why SOP for most bomb disposal is "move device to someplace not populated and blow it up yourself".

As someone who's actually been trained to build bombs (Army Combat Engineer), the easiest way to disable a bomb is to simply remove and/or cut the wire/powder train to the actual blasting cap/booster charge.
>>
Because any half-baked jihadi will know to have redundant negative activation or fallback local explosives to kill whoever they send in for EOD. This, coupled with the sporadic variations in bomb structure, target and concealment make trying to consistently de-arm IEDs a continuous game of whackamole with destructive psychological effects.

Burn Notice spoofed this pretty well in its 1st or 2nd episode where the MC mails a federal agent a fake bomb
>>
>>32715187
There's always an off switch
>>
File: kapkan.png (757KB, 1460x1249px) Image search: [Google]
kapkan.png
757KB, 1460x1249px
>>32715367
yeah i fully understand you, thanks

>Also cell phone bombs are shit, they'll just jam the entire comms range and then go looking for it.
so the best type of IED trigger is victim triggered like pic related or link related
https://murdercube.com/files/Infographics/ElectronicBoobytraps2.jpg
>>
>>32715187
It's not actually as hard as movies make it out to be, but it's not always as easy as "just cut the wire between the explosive and detonator". Experienced bomb makers will be adding additional circuitry to make it more complex but to the trained eye, someone who has a background in electrical engineering, it will be pretty easy to understand.
>>
>>32715569
Depends on your application of course. Timers and pressure sensitive triggers are usually good. Not a fan of tripwires but they can work, especially laser tripwires assuming your targets don't have IR.
Good luck terrorist-kun.
>>
>>32715599
Empty wires, redundant systems, and general trickery unique to your circuit (the plan I planned around the plan you planned because you thought you knew my plan intensifies) can make it a nightmare, especially if the damn thing is ticking. Ticking may seem pointless but really it's a major stress trigger which works in your favor.
>>
>>32715294
thyristor window break circuit
>>
>>32715187
>simple thing can not be made complex intentionally
>>
File: chip1.jpg (37KB, 509x456px) Image search: [Google]
chip1.jpg
37KB, 509x456px
>>32715599
Can someone with a trained eye, and a background in electrical engineering tell me what this circuit does just by looking at it?
>>
>>32715737
there's a diode, a microcontroler, and a capacitor on there. looks like the peripherals to protect the 8 pin device. what it does depends on what program is on the microcontroller
>>
>>32715829
>what it does depends on what program is on the microcontroller
Well, not what the program is but how it's wired internally. There are some programmable ones tho.
Those little things are resistors btw and the one marked L4W is a transistor I think.
My point wast that there are some things you just can't reverse-engineer or simply understand how they work to "cut the right wire".
>>
>>32716026
i looked up the specific chip and i was under the impression that it was programmable, but it guess it could be askign a little much on an 8 pin
>>
>>32715187
>confusing detonator vs initiator
>'electric cord'
>not knowing primary vs secondary
>to defuse it is to cut link between what the fuck are you serious

be more twelve.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.