[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are jet packs viable in the battle field just imagine >walking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: Jetpack_Concept.jpg (1MB, 2000x1526px) Image search: [Google]
Jetpack_Concept.jpg
1MB, 2000x1526px
are jet packs viable in the battle field

just imagine

>walking in an urban area
>it's an ambush
>you fly up take a high ground away from the shooting and see where thy are
or
>you fly high enough to run away from the ambush
or
>you and your squad shoot the enemy
>fly of before they can react
or
>you shoot the enemy from top of a building
>use the jet pack to jump from it and soften the landing
or
>you use the jet pack to get high ground and snipe the enemy
etc
>>
>>32714508
USmil seems to think quad copter drones big enough to carry a person like they're riding a motorcycle will be much more viable.
>>
File: 1413216930029.gif (119KB, 384x408px) Image search: [Google]
1413216930029.gif
119KB, 384x408px
>>32714508
Yes. They are EXTREMELY viable, especially in urban combat as they allow rapid vertical scaling and three dimensional points of entry. Only, naturally they would have to work like they do in video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41QFL4QB3NE
>>
Yeah strap huge fuel bombs on soldiers that also require a shitload of training what could go wrong
>>
>wants irl Call Of Duty Infinite Warfare
>>
>>32714715
>Yeah strap huge fuel bombs on soldiers

Bet you think gasoline explodes when you shoot a barrel of it don't you nogunz
>>
>>32714984
They do if the round is a tracer.
>>
Not viable in the slightest. The only modern offerings (Jetpack International products or the Martin helicopter thing) either have shortass flight times, are extremely sensitive to wind (to the point where you could get Bobafetted by a cool breeze) and can only carry an 80 kilo man (which rules out carrying your kit), or are fucking huge and too heavy to walk with when worn. Both have windup times (making them unsuitable for quick escapes), are extremely loud by nature and silhouette you against the sky. Granted, its a field that has stagnated for years so maybe if a major contractor looked into them they could be viable, but as things stand right now jetpacks a shit.
>>
>you fly up
>big glowing target in the sky
>now people are inclined to fire off manpad in your direction, along with bullets
But, I'm sure you'll be safe if you just take cover behind the other assholes that are floating around and soon to be exploding.
>>
Ok, jetpacks would be pretty damn awesome. But the way people think of them is fucking retarded. 99% of people think of jet powered backpacks when you say jetpack. That's retarded because with your center of thrust will never be lined up be lined up with your center of mass unless you are flying at a very awkward angle. So basically jet(back)packs realistically turn out like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3FRxhC93_4
>>
>>32715131
>>32715131
Gasoline doesn't explode retard, it burns.
>>
Assuming theres no logistical issues like flight time or weight of the pack, they would only really be viable in areas that have many tall structures, or mountainous terrain. Also, when you run out of fuel, you're stuck carrying around a heavy, useless backpack for the rest of the mission.
>>
File: 1415318339146.png (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1415318339146.png
11KB, 200x200px
>>32715271
Wouldn't a pressurised tank filled with gas kinda explode if you hit it with an incendiary round of some sort.
>>
>>32715300
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/shooting-gas-tank/
might cause rapid depressurization, but the tank wouldn't explode.
>>
>>32714508
>jump
>get silhouetted
>get shot

nigger jetpacks arent even viable in video games. you ever play Tribes? most kills are made in the air and it's generally safest to either fly extremely high in a Shrike or the transport, or to keep your jumps short when skiiing.
>>
>>32715271
If it's pressurized it will explode when ignited.
>>
>>32714718
>wants irl Planetside 2
Ftfy
>>
>>32714508
>"These jets are BURNING MY ASS"
>>
>>32714508
Nigga, I'm taking it you got the idea from vidya but even in fucking vidya jetpacks are shit, you fly up and immediately get shot by everyone.
>>
>>32714715
but soilders use to carry flame throwers and also already carry boolets and other explosives that explode if hit

knew a guy whoes dad use to have a magazine pouch that got shot in the falk land wars and the pouch exploded he survived but still just sayin tthey already carryin explosive shit man
>>
>>32715185
but an infantry man is agile he can easily dodge it or take action unlike a bulky helicopter or plane
thank about it a tank is big but slow but a man is agile as hell

also that glowing thing would be so small normal people with naked eyes might not be able to spot it

can you spot a bird miles away?
>>
>>32714508
But Anon, I already carry too much fucking gear and I know SSgt will force us to hike up a mountain with this shit rather than use it.
>>
>>32716411
>you fly up and immediately get shot by everyone.

Maybe you should try getting good, and like...not using the jetpack in that way.

It's for letting you traverse vertical terrain easily, not for making yourself a huge target. How did you get so confused about this?
>>
Jetpacks? No.

Boosters/Jump packs? Yes.

Jetpacks usually involve sustained flight and the utility doesnt outweigh the downsides.

Jump/booster packs are a better option because they offer a a quick boost of high vertical and forward mobility which allows the user to traverse normally inaccessible areas (i.e. roof to roof jump, or scaling a 10ft high wall). Also good for getting around in low/zero-G environments.

The Infinite Warfare campaign i think does the best job of showing how it would realistically work. The soldiers despite having the packs are still very much grounded in movement.
>>
>>32717832
>It's for letting you traverse vertical terrain easily,
hmmm should i carry 40kgs of steel and fuel that could explode all over my butt and legs and explicitly shoots fire and hot gasses out of it, possibly immolating me if used in anything but exactly the right way under optimal operating conditions

or should i just carry some fucking rope
>>
>>32714715
it the jetpack werent there wouldnt they just get shot in the torso anyways? probably just as deadly.
>>
>>32718014
>The Infinite Warfare campaign i think does the best job of showing how it would realistically work.
underage detected
>>
>>32718443
>>32718443
With that logic, why use personal firearms or explosives?
>>
>>32718520
because personal firearms and explosives actually work better than longbows and flaming poop, while a jetpack does not work better than either using a helicopter to airlift guys or simply scaling things with a rope and other conventional climbing gear?
>>
>>32715205
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiE58Ri5axQ
>>
>>32715473
Nigger, I don't think you understand what's going on here. A rapid release of pressurized gas is not an explosion. If you wanted the fuel to explode, you would have to ignite it from within the pressurized tank, and even then it would have to be a fuel/oxy mixture, which, if it was anything like a rocket, would not be created until a chamber before the nozzle.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.