[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Gambia crisis: Senegal troops enter to back new presiden

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: Senegalese soldiers.jpg (37KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
Senegalese soldiers.jpg
37KB, 624x351px
>Gambia crisis: Senegal troops enter to back new president
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38682184
>Senegalese forces (seen in this archive photo) are among the best trained in Africa

Tell me about the armies of Africa, /k/, what nations have the best militaries?

I only know about Rhodesian history.
>>
>>32704516
>best

That's a pretty vague parameter. An african country could spend their shit on shiny flankers and Mig-29s and could still get btfo'd by poorer african country that spends their shit on things that counted the most; training, logistics and proper equipments on the ground
>>
>>32704596
>post-Rhodesia Africans
>caring about training, logistics or equipment
Kek
African Militaries are effectively just big sticks being woven around just like in tribal days. Yes there are occasional competent contributors (typically foreign) but how do you expect countries that can't feed themselves, provide water or realize they have overpopulation issues and stop raping each other, to effectively run a modern military?
>>
>>32704516
>among the best trained in Africa
Find it hard to believe they could even remotely stand a chance against countries like Egypt, Algeria, Chad, or even Somalia. I suppose the claim holds up when you figure all the shit holes, though.
>>
The only militaries I ever hear about in Africa are south Africa and Egypt.

South Africa has a small number of upgraded centurion tanks from the 40s and a much larger more modern IFV fleet. They also have a bunch of upgrades Hinds.

Egypt has M1s

I know a load of places train with Western militaries, Britain and France especially with old colonies like Kenya
>>
>>32704618
Just like SANDF.
>>
File: ethiopian army.jpg (648KB, 2000x1333px)
ethiopian army.jpg
648KB, 2000x1333px
I've heard Ethiopia is actually surprisingly badass. They rekt the Italians in the 1890s, went to Korea in 1950 and never lost a battle, curbstomped Eritrea in the 90's, and now they spend their time hatefucking Somali terrorists.
>>
>>32704618
Somehow Russia manages.
>>
FIRST WAR OF 2017

Things are looking up, /k/rothers.
>>
>>32708430
>rekt the Italians
This isn't a feat. Italians wreck themselves if left to their own devices.
>>
File: Flag_of_South_Africa.png (9KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_South_Africa.png
9KB, 1280x853px
>>32704516
>what nations have the best militaries?
Sud Afrika, because white people
>>
>>32708430
Ethiopia also has a rich and cultured history funnily enough
>>
>>32708931
Is it because they're a Semitic race, not a negroid race, right?
>>
>>32704516
Well if your talking about actual militaries then really Egypt and Algeria are the only real answers. South Africa comes in third. Nigeria has the money and experience so Id count them at 4. After that its anyone's guess really.
>>
>>32704516
https://mobile.twitter.com/saitmatty/status/822139854406504450/video/1

Troops moving in
>>
>>32708973
Eh, I can't really comment on it much, it's not really my area of historical expertise so I'd be wrong to just throw my own unchecked thoughts out
Dey wuz certainly kangz though
>>
>>32709021
http://allafrica.com/stories/201701180043.html

1800 combatants have arrived in the Gambia, issued with uniforms and prepared to fight ECOWAS forces.
>>
>>32709057
I don't know much about that actually I just always heard Ehtopians are more closely related to modern day Arabs than other Africans.

All the northern Africans and Horn area ones are.
>>
>>32709115
They're caucasians.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

>inb4 ethiopians are h'wite
>>
>>32709115
Nah not really I don't believe, Ethiopia is pretty much sub saharan, it's location has definitely brought in foreign influence and culture though, presumably it also connected it to rich eastern trade
>>
>>32708931
They also have really big foreheads and like to mumble a lot.
>>
>>32706030
>The only militaries I ever hear about in Africa are south Africa and Egypt.

Who gives a shit, that's nowhere near Senegal.
>>
Some weeks back there was a thread about paratroopers in various African nations. Can't remember which country it was, but there was a lot of talk about this one crazy motherfucker who took over a larger neighbouring country overnight with a bunch of paratroopers.
>>
>>32704516

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_the_Gambia#Army

>The Gambian National Army (GNA) had a strength of 1,000 personnel in 2013 (900 from the GNA, 100 from the Gambian Air Force[1]).[2] The GNA is formed of two infantry battalions, an engineering squadron, and smaller logistics, signals and intelligence units, plus the presidential guard company.[3] The GNA has upgraded its equipment to provide greater firepower and mobility. It now has several armoured cars (two of which are based at State House) and heavier caliber vehicle-mounted weapons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_of_Senegal#Army

>The Army currently consists of two divisions, the Operations Division and the Logistic Division. The IISS estimated in 2012 that the Army had a strength of 11,900 soldiers, three armoured battalions

Both countries have very tiny air forces...Gambia has one (1) SU25, for example.

Basically, Senegal is a big country and Gambia is a very small one. This is sort of like if Texas went to war with Vermont.
>>
>>32709188

Caucasian=/=white
>>
>>32709549
Rwanda and Congo-K
>>
>>32709549
I think that was post-genocide Rwandan paratroopers who managed to Swiss the only sea-way access from the neighbouring nation of the democratic republic of the Congo, which is about 60x larger than Rwanda
>>
>>32709786
Oh and this is the absolute madmen who actually did it, still Rwandan minister of defence

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kabarebe
>>
File: 1465711178112.jpg (781KB, 1280x4079px) Image search: [Google]
1465711178112.jpg
781KB, 1280x4079px
>>32709549
This? I saved it more than a few weeks ago, though.
>>
>>32704618
Have you even heard about post-genocide Rwanda? They're crazy motherfuckers.
>250 paratroops steal Congoese passenger planes
>fly across Congo
>land them in the only airbase in the Congo and take it over
>go on to invade the largest power plant in the country and with the support of rebel groups nearly take the capitol
>only stopped by Angola rolling tanks over the border
>survivors retreat into Angola, join up with local rebels, and find their way back home

And this is only the start of the Second Congo War. They keep fighting basically everyone south of them simultaneously (they are sorta allied with Uganda except they fight a border war at one point), fuck up what remains of the Rhodesian system in Zimbabwe (and fuck up their vehicles too, including several aircraft), and do all this with only light infantry.
>>
>>32711165
Yeah but have you heard the part where their goverment told them to beat their neighbours to death with whatever they had on hand and they actually did it?
>>
>>32711887
>he thinks the genocidaires won
retard
>>
File: Capture.jpg (144KB, 1573x824px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
144KB, 1573x824px
jammeh did nothing wrong
>>
Ethiopia is currently producing thunder armored vehicle under license from Israel
>>
>>32712776
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.