[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /k/'s opinions on a stockpiling ammunition for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: IMAG2148.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2148.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
What is /k/'s opinions on a stockpiling ammunition for the future? Does cheaper ammo hold up as well as expensive ammo? What about quantities, what is a reasonable amount to stockpile?
>>
The general answer is going to be you can never have enough. All depends on your financial situation and how often you shoot, how much the hobby means to you, etc.

Personally I usually keep
1000 5.56
250 9mm
50 9mm HP

Obviously it goes down and up slightly at times, but generally thats my rule of thumb. If I had more money id get more ammo but that amount is a sustainable amount for me personally.
>>
>>32696346
genrally, conditions in which the ammo is stored matters more than the type. have it in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight and itll last longer than you.
as far as "reasonable", everyone is different. money and space is also another factor.
but ill tell you this, if you go by past trends, ammo is a pretty good buy. it usually doesnt go down in price and is pretty easy to offload.
>>
File: P1010523.jpg (537KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
P1010523.jpg
537KB, 1280x960px
>>32696346
Personally, I'm nearing 20k rds of centerfire ammo. 16k of it is centerfire rifle. And ~10k of that is 7n6 545 which is banned from import or surplus 54r which is becoming very hard to get. Both have basically doubled or better in value now vs what I paid.
>What is /k/'s opinions on a stockpiling ammunition for the future?
Smart if you can afford it and buy while the prices are good. I like to have at least a few years long cushion against any political etc bs that comes up, even if I didn't ration at all. I don't stockpile really common stuff like 556/308/12ga as much since it's going nowhere except for very short stints.
>Does cheaper ammo hold up as well as expensive ammo?
Store it correctly and it should be fine.
>What about quantities, what is a reasonable amount to stockpile?
How much do you estimate you shoot each caliber in a year? How long do you want to be able to hold out till ammo is either on the shelf, or just cheaper again? That's a good place to start.
>>
>>32696713
>20k

Fuck you
>>
>>32696742
It didn't happen overnight.
>>
>>32696557
2nd post got it right. Storage conditions.

As for the type or brand of ammo, that falls on consumer. There's always a medium between cost and quality. That's for you to actually do your own research I won't spoon-feed.
>>
>>32696713
Damn son, you're set.
>>
>>32696557
More specifically less humidity as possible. You can have freezing to 80 degrees you just don't want a lot of moisture.

Buy a dehumidifier. They work. Also I store my guns in wooden crates. This also helps with corrosion.
>>
>>32696764
I dedicated a whole year's gun budget to ammunition in 2010 IIRC.
Ended up with 3 crates of 545 and at least two of 54r. That's a big chunk of where my stash came from. Especially with 545, I knew it couldn't last at 10c/r.
I guess that's the good thing about getting into ak-74s before they became cool.
>>
I bought 1k .223 and 1k 9mm before the election, expecting Hillary to win.

I think we're safe for at least 4 years at this point though, ammo should be plentiful. I will be stocking up again in 2020 if Trump has done a shit job.
>>
>300 rounds of 9x19
>'stocking up'

lol
>>
>>32696807
I apologise for turning this into /pol/ but just stalk up anyway. We barely won dude. This could be it for Republicans for a while.
>>
>>32696828
I wasn't trying to get too deep into /pol/ either, but when the topic of stockpiling comes up, it's only natural to stockpile for a reason. If gun laws aren't in danger of drastically changing any time soon, then there's less reason to stock up. If gun laws seem to be in jeopardy, then it makes sense to stockpile while you have the chance.

I guess it also depends on what you consider a "stockpile" of ammo. I'd say almost every gun owner has a hundred or two rounds per gun (less if they have guns that share ammo). Some would consider that a decent stockpile, while others, like this guy
>>32696713
have tens of thousands of rounds. So I guess it's relative to the person you're talking too.
>>
>>32696346

I got 4 crates (2 spamcans each) of x54r so I got you poor fags when it runs out and becomes how 8mm mauser is today
>>
>>32696472
weak.
>>
>>32696713
30k bro here, you did well, my son.
>>
>>32696828
>This could be it for Republicans for a while.

You got fed that line of shit all the way through the election and it was so incredibly wrong that they lost Michigan for fuck sake.

How many more times can you take the bait? That being said I'm still stocking up though. Not because I think this is the last chance to get a Republican president, but because natural disasters are still SHTF scenarios and I don't want to be caught by looters, robbers, or without food for however long it could be for rebuilding to take place.
>>
>>32696346
I was staring at that bottle for a little bit trying to figure out if it's some sort of new gun powder I've never heard of before.
>>
>>32696346

>dat monarch academy brand ammo
>chiclafeiflalaaaa
>creatine

texas fag detected
>>
i got 15 rounds of 8mm stashed away, 500ish 7.62x54r, 5 rounds of 7mm Mauser, 80 rounds of .30-30 (with nothing to shoot it out of) 100 ish rounds of .30-06 (with nothing to shoot it out of)
so not too good
>>
The california ban on internet ammo is coming to the usual hanger on states. You should stock up if you're in oregon / washington.
Just like the ban on private sales it will come for you sooner rather than later.
>>
>>32700211

I can't wait to see all their sad crying faces as the wall rises with that shithole state on the other side.
>>
File: pearl harbor.jpg (131KB, 448x295px) Image search: [Google]
pearl harbor.jpg
131KB, 448x295px
>>32696346
There's still National Match ammo left over from WW2 that goes bang just fine. The best way to store your reloading components is as loaded ammo in a cool dry place.

My own personal figure is 200 rounds for everything I own. Even assuming a SHTF scenario against armed mobs, you're not going to be laying down suppressive fire like a regular infantryman. At worst it'll be shoot and scoot. The object is to live. That's victory enough.

That said, I intend to sock away as much .223 and .22 LR as I can reasonably afford while prices remain decent. We have no idea what China, Russia, mudslimes, or libtards have in store for us. The 21st century is promising to be even more of a humdinger than the last one.
>>
>>32700196

Yep, Dallasfag here. I got an academy gift card for christmas.

>>32696812

I have ~1,000 rounds of 9mm total, that's just what was on the table at the time.
>>
>>32696958
>If gun laws aren't in danger of drastically changing any time soon, then there's less reason to stock up.
That's been exactly the time to stock up in the past. Prices will be at their lowest. You don't stock up when shit's bad and you're paying CTD scare prices for green tip 556 or surplus 545.
The advice I gave is a little less relevant right now since surplus ammo like 54r is in low supply for now, just a tad better than non-corrosive price.
>>
>>32700193
Protein loading like that stretches out the molecular channels in your liver, and you wind up pissing out more of your protein than before you took the creatine. Bad shit, just eat a bunch of chicken.
>>
>>32696557
This. There's a reason WWII surplus is still popular, because well stored ammo from 1943 will work just as well as new production.
>>
>>32700178

Its rare for a party to hold the presidency for more than 2 terms, and if trump fucks up and there's no one else good, it's going Democrat.
>>
File: tmp_19425-fbi1_9951719546875.jpg (18KB, 310x228px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_19425-fbi1_9951719546875.jpg
18KB, 310x228px
>>
i try to stock up atleast 1-3k rounds per caliber not including 22lr. about 60-70% of that is range stuff and reloading. the rest is premium stuff i store in case of some crazy emergency. will probably never shoot it. 22lr i like to keep around 10k.
>>
900~ rounds 55 grain brass .223
600~ rounds 62 green tip 556
540~ rounds 7.62x51 norc
2400~ rounds 7.62x39 non corrosive
1200~ rounds 7.62x39 clipped
440 rounds 54r

I need more of everything.
>>
>>32696346
For us it's not an issue of pricing, but more of availability.
As our household blows down the range 35k rounds a year, mostly 9mm and .38 we order the next 10k or 15k in 9mm, when the stock is below 4k. Sometimes you have to wait a few month for the next delivery.
The .38 are handloaded, so just a few 100 in pile.
>>
>>32696828
>barely won

Democrats had a net loss of 900 (NINE HUNDRED) seats in the election

The people don't want what the Dems are selling
>>
1300 .223
1100 . 9mm
400 various shotgun shells

That's just what i stocked up since the DNC.

I usually pick up a box or two every time i go to Walmart. I haven't actually shot my guns since memorial day.

I'll continue to add 100 9mm and 100 .233 every month until it's banned or i run out of room.

My girlfriend thinks I'm weird.
>>
>>32696346
buy it cheap, stack it deep.
>>
>>32696346
Ask yourself two questions OP:

1) Am I drowning?
2) Am I on fire?

If you can answer no to both questions you don't have enough ammo.
>>
>>32700232
You're a fucking retard.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.