[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long did it take you to practice out of flinch and bad trigger

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

File: hailee_singing.jpg (82KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
hailee_singing.jpg
82KB, 682x1024px
How long did it take you to practice out of flinch and bad trigger pulls?

I literally miss a 6 inch gong from 10-15 yards (estimate) and I'm 90 percent sure I'm flinching and pulling/pushing.
>>
>>32694293
Repeat to yourself, out loud,"front sight front sight front sight" until the shot fires.
>>
try to shoot more rapidly. when I first started shooting sports, I flinched a bit but then I started shooting trap/skeet and you're too busy rapidly aiming and firing to care about recoil.
>>
>>32694422
This, and also try the following breathing technique:
breathe in while pulling the trigger until it breaks, and at the moment of trigger break breathe out. This will help you concentrate on your breathing and the front sights instead of anticipating the blast
>>
File: 80.jpg (124KB, 1200x1627px) Image search: [Google]
80.jpg
124KB, 1200x1627px
>>32694447
I am fine with shotgun for some reason, handguns are what gives me the trouble.

>>32694422
Weird but I'll try it.
>>
Does anyone else have a problem with the gun shifting in their hand from the momentum of the trigger/hammer releasing?
>>
>>32694293
Grip the shit of it and focus on the front sight
>>
>>32694293
I never flinched or had bad trigger pulls because I was trained.
>>
>>32694515
I try and I tried thumb forward grip this last time I went shooting and I like it alot but I haven't got used to getting my hands on position and I'm not sure I have it completely right. Lots of times when I grasp really I hard I end up anticipating recoil and fudging my shot or pushing into it.

>>32694521
By who ? I don't see how someone telling me I'm flinching is going to help I already know I'm doing it.
>>
>>32694515
>Grip the shit of it

No

squeezing harder can cause flinching. Don't lock up, keep everything firm, but loose. Like a golf club, "hold it like a little bird", hard enough to keep it in your hands through the action, but loose enough to not kill the thing.
>>
>>32694447
can someone please help me out? what is the source for all of those webm's with the clothes model lady? i think i'm in love
>>
>>32694539
>By who
My Lt.
>>
>>32694293
>turn up to range
>place 80's ghetto blaster on shooting bench
>load up A-Salt Clipazine
>turn on ghetto blaster to the sound of "it ain't me"
>proceed to turn volume to full so everyone else gets to appreciate freedom
>point gun in targets rough direction
>pull trigger as fast as possible shouting out "USA! USA!" Or "Get Some!" Repeatedly
>bonus points are awarded if you have at least 2 American flags worn on you
>super points are awarded if you manage to not get politely asked to remove oneself from range

Either that or just practice normally.
>>
>>32694555
buttrape isn't training, anon
>>
>>32694555
Ok well good for you. I don't have any ranges nearby let alone anyone to "train" me.
>>
Sit at home with your pistol and dry fire... watch a show and just cock the pistol and slowly press the trigger, dont need to do full sight picture just get the muscle memory down for trigger pull.
>>
>>32694539
>By who ? I don't see how someone telling me I'm flinching is going to help I already know I'm doing it.
Also, it helps when you're trained from the start to never flinch at all. Doesn't become a bad habit when you're aware of it from the first time you fire a round in your life.
>>
>>32694521
Why did you need training if you never flinched or had bad trigger pulls?
>>
>>32694581
Does that help the flinching and pulling? I feel like it's not the trigger pull it's the gun going off that fucks me up.

>>32694583
How do you not flinch at all? I guarantee you flinch it just doesn't effect your shot. It's a loud noise and recoil it's natural to flinch
>>
>>32694598
Because military and I'd never fired a gun before that. Everyone is taught basic marksmanship.

>>32694608
>How do you not flinch at all? I guarantee you flinch it just doesn't effect your shot. It's a loud noise and recoil it's natural to flinch
By shooting and understanding that squeezing the trigger will lead to a bang, but allowing it to happen without expecting it? I'm sure I flinch a little, if from nothing else than recoil, but not in a way to affect marksmanship.
>>
>>32694293

Honestly it comes in and out for me. I'm gradually getting better, but it comes back in waves now and again.

For starters, if you catch yourself flinching, reset fucking everything. Put the gun down, unload, reload the mag if you please, reset your grip and get back on target. Don't follow through flinching over and over because it will reinforce it.

Biggest things that helped me:

System 1, part a:

> unload gat
> but a shell casing on the front sight primer- down
> pull trigger over and over until you get 5 or 10 in a row where the casing/ coin doesn't fall off

System 1, part b:

> unload gat/ load snap caps
> cock it
> find a fixed point on a wall you can easily return to/ see when your front sight leaves even slightly.
> squeeze trigger slowly
> look to see if your gun moves off that dot when you do
> if your gun goes left (as a righty), rest the trigger closer to your knuckles
> if your gun goes right, rest the trigger closer to the tip of your finger.

You can kinda do this without even pulling the trigger all the way too, just kinda press slightly, you should notice something happening.

Mentality is huge too. Mentally reaffirm yourself that the gun going off isn't "scary" or something to flinch at. Don't use a target for a couple mags, just put rounds into the dirt down range until you feel confident about the reaction of the gun and you.

I'll post more if I think of any, but these have been the things I've been doing to help get rid of my flinch.

Keep in mind too- flinching is something that comes back to shooters who are gaining more range time. It's a learned habbit.
>>
>>32694637
Alright well good for you then. Like I said though I don't have military guys around to "train" me and since I'm not a cityfag I have shot guns before.
>>
>>32694293
Pretty quickly I don't do it anymore
>>
>>32694608
>Does that help the flinching and pulling? I feel like it's not the trigger pull it's the gun going off that fucks me up.

Yes it can help with the flinching, and accuracy... also when you shoot, just slow steady straight back pulls... and last but not least, dont be a bitch about the gun going off
>>
>>32694666
The first one is interesting

Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>32694608
>Does that help the flinching and pulling?

Dry firing does nothing if you aren't analyzing what is going on or practicing something specific.

Just dry firing does nothing for me because I know it's not legit. However, I can look and find where I may be pulling, or during what part of the pull.... yada yada. It also helps just to know your trigger well, where it breaks, resets and so on...
>>
>>32694447
>I started shooting trap/skeet and you're too busy rapidly aiming and firing to care about recoil.
the only gun sport where release triggers to avoid flinches are a thing...
>>
>>32694551
Its some swimwear site.
>>
>>32694555
I did it I didn't need a guy telling me what to do
>>
Youre that pedo fag from the other day aren't you. Kill yourself.
>>
>>32694293
DRY FIRE A FUCKLOAD UNTIL YOUR BRAIN FORGETS RECOIL EXISTS
>>
File: 373.jpg (113KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
373.jpg
113KB, 640x1136px
>>32694931

lmao
>>
>>32694983
>fire
>suddenly gun explodes into noise and recoil
>flinch
>>
>>32694991
This isn't pedo though..
>>
>>32694995
Doesn't matter if the bullets already gone, my dude. Anticipating is what fucks you
>>
>>32695004
Ya you're right but tell that to the new kids on /tv/ who sperg out over banji posting
>>
>>32695022
And what about the next shot?
>>
>>32695034
Resight and repeat the process. Worry about follow up shots when you're good at getting off a single round accurately
>>
>>32695055
But now you're anticipating it again since you remembered the gun goes boom.
>>
>>32695063
The idea is to train your muscle memory not to account for or anticipate recoil, not that you're going to literally psychologically forget how guns work.
>>
>>32695078
>DRY FIRE A FUCKLOAD UNTIL YOUR BRAIN FORGETS RECOIL EXISTS
>>
>>32694293
Dime drills. Do like at least 30 reps of dime drills every time you dry fire.
>>
File: autism-mind.jpg (23KB, 212x223px) Image search: [Google]
autism-mind.jpg
23KB, 212x223px
>>32695107
>The Literal Mind of Autism
>>
>>32694293
get a good grip where your two arms are countering each other with force, to get a good trigger pull, take an empty gun, hold it like you're going to fire, watch the front sight and don't let the trigger break but squeeze just as much as you need to see if the front sight is moving left or right. adjust your finger placement based on that. keep moving your finger left or right on the trigger until you notice the front sight doesn't move left or right and practice automatically getting your finger on that spot. one thing I did and I know it sounds cheesy is to find the spot and then mark your finger with sharpie so you can kind of glance, shoot about 300 rounds with the mark on your finger and you'll get a hang of it. as for flinching, maybe try getting a guide rod spring that lessens the recoil for the grain you're using. either that or get used to it
>>
>>32695315
How do I know when my hands are in the right spot?

Should my right palm be behind the gun more or further to the right of the back strap?
>>
>>32695315
>>32694293
>>32695392

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHqx0Jy3z3Y
He sums it up perfectly in this video
>>
>>32695401
Thank you.

I will try the push and pull next time and also pay more attention to my trigger finger.

I still don't think I'll be able to get that grip down right though because my hands are rather small it might end up being different.
>>
>>32695499
my buddy that I take to the range with me sometimes has small hands too. I don't recall exactly what his palm placement is though. The push pull with help with recoil also and it definitely helps you get your sights back on target quickly.
>>
>>32695516
I've noticed when I do shoot accurately I tend to get alot of muzzle flip so I think it should help me.
>>
>>32694293
If you shoot with a buddy, have him load your mags and tell him to randomly put a dummy round or two in each mag. You will see if you are flinching or not.
>>
>>32695573
that's a good idea, should also help him with failure training.
>>
File: IMG_8954.png (1MB, 1280x720px)
IMG_8954.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>32695573
>Buddy

Ha ha ha...
>>
>>32694557
Make sure to wrap an American flag around your carry handle like in the duke nuke forever trailer
>>
>>32694608
By the time you sense the actual sound/recoil, the bullet is already out of the barrel. It's anticipation that fucks you.
>>
>>32694551
>>32694717
It's Amazon.
>he's never browsed the women's section
>>
File: nothing_personel_kid.jpg (68KB, 600x428px) Image search: [Google]
nothing_personel_kid.jpg
68KB, 600x428px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0rGtXh23I
>>
Wow an actual gun thread not a little kids weaboo shit on an autism appreciation forum

>>32695022
This is the only good advice so far. Squeeze the trigger until you don't expect the boom when it goes off. Double up on hearing protection and work out your weak muscles so you`re not such a little bitch. Limp wristed bitch for pistols.
>>
>>32694293
Ignore >>32694422. If you're disturbing the pistol's alignment with the target when you pull the trigger, as most beginners do, thinking about the front sight will do you no good. I recommend doing a little dry fire to figure out what's going on.

Unload your pistol, triple check, go somewhere with no ammo, make sure you didn't accidentally bring any ammo with you, point gun in safe direction for all of dry fire, etc.

Now, aim at a blank white wall, focusing on the front sight, and press the trigger at roughly the same pace you did during live fire. Watch whether the sights move around. If you're not sure if the sights are moving, try placing a dime on the front sight and pressing the trigger while keeping it from falling. That should help you get a feel for a "good" trigger press. Keep doing this for maybe 25 to 50 pulls a day and you'll notice some big changes in your slow fire accuracy. As you get better you should introduce a target (making sure your visual focus stays on that front sight).
>>
>>32695392
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJrA7wMXuuQ

this is the starting place for grip I send all new pistol shooters

your palm position might need adjusting based on your finger length.
>>
>>32694293
It took me about two months to stop flinching.
What I found to help the most is to shoot and if I'm flinching or my accuracy is shit I'll stop, unload and clear, and practice dry firing until I'm confident I'm not fucking up. Repeat as needed.
Failing that.... well komrades I don't advise this but you can get a revolver and play russian roulette with your targets. But be safe, do this at the range, if anyone is there make sure they are aware you are firing live ammunition and not just dry firing.
>>
>>32694557
all keks aside, this isn't terrible advice, when you break it down.

this boils down to relaxed shots fired in a safe direction. you don't need to aim yet, you need to learn to pull the trigger. Just go out there. Maybe aim roughly, then close your eyes.

just chill out and squeeeze. this should honestly help.
>>
>>32694608
>How do you not flinch at all? I guarantee you flinch it just doesn't effect your shot. It's a loud noise and recoil it's natural to flinch
just flinch after the shot. then, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>32694293
>go to range
>bring friend
>have friend load round into chamber
>fire
>repeat
>randomly not load a round but cock the hammer/set the striker

You will shoot as if there is a round in the chamber and you'll notice immediately if you're flinching
>>
File: 64.png (1MB, 1075x716px) Image search: [Google]
64.png
1MB, 1075x716px
>>32696250
>>32696455
Thank you so much for these vids guys supremely helpful

This is a very good thread and I hope other shooters are gaining from it like I am.

>>32696946
Hopefully the one friend I have who shoots can go with me again soon.
>>
Also question for those who have said to push with right and pull with left, when I watched Michuleks vid he said he doesn't like that and to just lock the wrist and get a nice grip, not a lot of depth I know but did he mean he just didn't like push / pull for weaver or doesn't like it period?

Further he does thumb forward but he does nothing with his thumbs, is that how it is supposed to be done? No pressure with your left thumb below slide or anything like that?
>>
>>32697304
push/pull sucks because you have a weird asymmetrical response to a recoil impulse. Clamp your hands together, using your pecs to squeeze like you're doing a chest fly. and yes the majority of your grip strength in the modern grip has no real relation to your thumbs.
>>
>>32697370

Okay so just try and grip firmly and naturally but make sure the support hand is getting a good grip ?

Does it matter what my feet and knees are doing?

When I watch channels like ASP they say to try and lean forward to negate recoil and bend over so to speak, Jerry takes the opposite approach and keeps a neutral and natural ISO stance and doesn't hunch or anything just brings the gun up to his face

I know who I trust more but I'm curious on others thoughts
>>
Jerry really summed it up for me at the end of his video.

I've been spending way too much time worrying about aim when I can't even shoot right.

"trigger pull is always going to be more important than sight alignment"
>>
>>32694293
KEEP BOTH EYES OPEN YOU FAGGOT
DID YOU NOT WATCH POCHAHONTAS???
>>
>>32697407
no idea who ASP is but I would advise against bending excessively at the waist. it generates unnecessary fatigue for no real benefit in recoil control. jerry is on the money.

watch this video to see some good recoil control technique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMhLykWDvec
>>
>>32697709
A fat guy who does "evidence based self defense"

Active self protection on YouTube.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.