[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What role does the shotgun play in >current year? I have a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: shotgat.jpg (42KB, 508x271px) Image search: [Google]
shotgat.jpg
42KB, 508x271px
What role does the shotgun play in >current year? I have a used Winchester pump that I only use for shooting clays once a year and I can't think of anything else that wouldn't be done better by my rifles and handguns. What does /k/ use their shotgats for?
>>
>>32683330
I pretty much only use Buckshot and Slugs, but they are extremely versatile with good range.
>>
Making home intruders shit themselves before you make use of Castle Doctrine.

It's well known there are few things more likely to make someone shit themselves than hearing the pump of a shotgun.
>>
>>32683385
This is complete retardation. Why would the sound of a shotgun be scarier than the action of an ak/ar/pistol?
>>
>>32683330
>I only use for shooting clays once a year
>once a year
what a waste of money. you are never progressing like that. I'm guessing this is just prep for hunting season, but you're spending hours and $$$, to cut an hour off bagging your limit.
>>
I think of scatterfuns a bit like hammers.

Sure, they're not meant to be used for everything, but they'll do most of it, and they're very good at what they're made for.

As for their actual uses:
HD
Use on animals (farm in particular, but can be for others)
Specific loads for different things (aren't their specific door/lock breaching shells? I remember seeing them)
Reliable fallback weapon since they're hard to fuck up
>>
>>32683433
Frangible breaching charges are typically made of zinc or steel powder and disintegrate upon impact, destroying a hinge or lock without the risk of overpenetration from a normal slug nor the risk of richochet from normal shot.
>>
>>32683487
Thanks for the info, I was pretty sure they were a thing but I wasn't 100%
>>
>>32683410
Yes, actually
>>
>>32683330
I only own a 590a1 and hardly use it. However it's good to have in the collection. 12 gauge does a lot under 50 yards. Good camping gun, good hiking gun, good farm gun, good HD.

Figure if a dude always has Bird shot, slugs, buck on hand it's a versatile gun.
>>
>>32683429
It's when I go camping m8 and I don't hunt bird anyways. I just use some old ass clays and and plastic thrower I found in my dad's garage so it's basically free.
>>32683433
>>32683557
any advice on what shot to use? I honestly don't know much about it, just have some random buckshot lying around
>>
>>32683330
Blasting the crap out of snowmen.
>>
A shotgun is a very versatile weapon. You can hunt anything with it, and you can really put a lot of lead downrange quickly. I have a nice single shot 20ga that I take on long hikes and hunt small game with. While not an ideal defensive weapon, a 3in slug out of it will put down moose, which is the most dangerous thing I'm likely to run into where I live, plus it's reliability and simplicity make it easy to maintain innawoods.A good pump shotgun and a high capacity 9mm would be a good combination for shtf.
>>
>>32683592
It all depends on where and what you could be shooting. I like Bird shot out of a none choked bore for home defense. Out of that 590 it's not doing much over penetration. Still gotta be careful I'm sure.

I enjoy type 4 buckshot as a universal load for camping. 2 and 3/4 shell slugs I feel fine with. We only have black bear but I do prefer 3 inch buckshot.

Now if you got a choked tube long barrel, 3 and a half inch fucks shit up. Heavy turkey shot is no joke.
>>
>>32683410
The sound is universally recognized due to movies/video games/tv. Nothing else sounds like it.
>>
>>32683330
>HD
>hunting
>clays
>farming/ranching gun
between the different slugs/shot sizes you can get for any shotgun gauge, a shotgun is probably the most versatile gun you can own.
any gun is going to seem useless if you only use it once a year
>>
>>32683754
>Bird shot for HD

Idiot

https://youtu.be/_F_KuFzjOGA
>>
Asploding clays and killing birbs.
Call me crazy but I prefer shotguns over rifles.
>>
>>32683410
because people recognize it and it's distinctive
>>
>>32683385
Ah yes, this is my favorite fuddlore.
>>
>>32683912
Listen faggot, re read my post. I care about over penetrating. I actually think about the layout in my home. You, are a moron.
>>
>>32684117
>Sneaking through a house
>Hear a shotgun racking
>"Haha I'm not scared. Knowing that the homeowner is armed, aware of my presence, and is currently coming to kill me with a weapon that is particularly devastating in close quarters such as the one I am currently in doesn't make me concerned at all."

If hearing a weapon being charged in that context doesn't scare you, you aren't brave. You're just a retarded lemming about to get removed from the gene pool.
>>
>>32684162
You are a moron because bird shot isn't going to stop shit.

Use a different load that won't over penetrate and stop bullishitting

Birdshot Is about like shooting rock salt
>>
>>32684207
I haven't been in a HD situation. Give me your advice based on personal experience great one.
>>
>>32683330
>Homedefense without spending shitloads on ar
>Appeasing fud familymembers
>piss cheap ammo for targets
>SHTF easy reloads (if it fits, it shoots, anywhere in the country for a low flat rate)

Good for hunting
>targets
>clays
>birds
>durr
>negros
>>
If a man can only own one gun, it should be a shotgun. The capability of bird shot, buck shot, and slugs makes it the perfect all-around gun for the average person's (read: not an operator or operator wannabe) needs. If a man needs to hunt, he can kill anything from birds to deer with it. If a man's home is invaded, he can defend his life with it. If a man wants to have fun, he can shoot clays with it.
>>
>>32683330
Ducks, geese, quail, pheasant, chukar...need I go on you fucking retard
>>
>>32683487
Almost exclusively zinc now. The steel powder rusts
>>
>>32684183
Yes.

I.E. the type of motherfucker who breaks into the home of a middle class suburbanite.

Go rob the rich people on the hill, you worthless niggers. They can afford it.
>>
>>32684207
>actually shot someone with rock salt
>still remember the screams and the moaning
>and he lawsuit, because that piece of shit lived

This man is right. The dead cannot testify, and they sure as hell can't lie under oath.
>>
>>32684230
>Personal experience

Stop being a smug dick I posted what bird shot does to a person it's shit
>>
>>32684470
Ok.
>>
File: IMG_20170109_052516.jpg (1MB, 1807x4128px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170109_052516.jpg
1MB, 1807x4128px
Shotguns are probably one of the best weapon ever made.
They are downplayed a lot yes, because they at so good and common yet so simple and cheap that other guns are 90% of the time behind them as far 'normal people, real world effectiveness' is concerned.

Anons here already said every advantage, it's clear that it is a winner, but it's really like the hammer in your toolshed: it can take car of a lot of business very effectively maybe lacking some finesse.

But it's master of bird hunting, that's assured. good luck bringing down avians constantly with a rifle/pistol.

Only real drawback to me is how bulky ammo is. The space taken by a 12 Ga. box of 25 shells can be filled with some 200/250 rounds of 9mm.

Pic related, my stick.
>>
>>32684183
Salty
>>
File: 1435448024701.jpg (499KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1435448024701.jpg
499KB, 1200x800px
Cheap and incredibly reliable/versatile for just about anything, its perfect all round.
I keep a shotgun in every room of my home inc case of emergency freedom
Even the restroom
Especially the restroom.
>>
>>32684421
t. Bernie Sanders

>>32684496
Not an argument
>>
>>32684520
>Especially the restroom

Duh. Even I have a Mariner duct taped to my shower wall.
>>
>>32683385
>giving away your location

Its as if you want to get shot faggot
>>
>>What role does the shotgun play

I can't believe how few of you hunt waterfowl. You can be a hunter without being a "fudd" you know. Then I remember that 4chan is 90% shut-ins
>>
>>32684183

I forgot to include you too faggot, see >>32684575
>>
File: IMG_20161227_184656.jpg (286KB, 1441x1070px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161227_184656.jpg
286KB, 1441x1070px
>>32683330

The shotgun is not the best, or most tacticool gun. It's large, heavy, usually long, and low capacity.

But it's by far the most versatile gun in existence. Birdshot, buckshot, slugs, less lethal, beaching rounds, etc. The best all-arounder. And by far the most fun gun to fuck around with and shoot trap/skeet/whatever.
>>
I use my shotgun as a truck gun.
Cheap enough where I wouldn't financially miss it if stolen and good for shooting coons.
>>
I have a Benelli M2 for 3 gun with a 12 round tube, it's pretty fun to let it rip on steel targets.
>>
File: 1479245676544.jpg (264KB, 920x903px) Image search: [Google]
1479245676544.jpg
264KB, 920x903px
>>32683433
>hammers
>not meant to be used for everything
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.