[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I decided my next purchase is going to be a bolt action rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 783.jpg (81KB, 410x227px) Image search: [Google]
783.jpg
81KB, 410x227px
I decided my next purchase is going to be a bolt action rifle because I'd like to get into some long range shooting and possibly competitions in the future. My choices are mostly 500$ or less rifles.
Ruger American Predator
Remmington 700
Savage Axis II XP
All of them have their budget versions(783/Ruger American and Savage XP) which I'm also considering depending on price.

Which of these would be the best starter rifle?
>>
can't say what's best, but 783 is the worst.
>>
>>32679932
Wash some more dishes and get a Tikka T3
>>
>>32680053
QC is shit? or what?
>>
>>32679932
you're going to try and shoot competitively with a $500 rifle?
>>
>>32680083
No, in the future if I take to it I'll probably build one, but this is just to start with.
>>32680080
Thanks for the input.
>>
>>32680109
>Thanks for the input.
I'm serious.
It's worth it.
>>
>>32680121
I was aswell. I am looking into it. Is the lite any different from the normal besides the weight? Quality wise.
>>
>>32680081
heavy shit action shit bolt shit QC all around shit rifle. There is a reason they are dirt cheap
>>
>>32680160
I think they only make the T3x now. I got my lite for a good price because it was the last one they had in stock before they received the new shipment.
>>
>>32680173
Noted and off my list, thanks.
>>32680181
What caliber did you get yours in? In my area they are averaging 750$
>>
>>32680194
.300 Win Mag. It's tolerable but I'm still kinda looking forward to having a muzzle brake installed.
>>
>>32680194
I work at a gun store and handle these guns all the time the best feel wise is the american. they use too high a speed when they machine the receiver but that wears in and doesn't have an effect on the action. The savages are honestly pretty good now as apposed to 10 years ago but their magazines are kinda shitty. In that range you are also looking at the mossberg patriot which is honestly pretty good too but the bolt is pretty loose in it. Haven't heard of that causing an issue with the function but it's more of a feel thing. Like the other anon said the best option imo is to save up and get a tikka they are fantastic rifles. only complaint I have heard is that because they are so light the larger calibers can pack a bit more kick than say in a 700.
>>
>>32680204
Is there a large aftermarket for parts?
Managed to find a T3 Lite (not T3X) in .300 Win Mag and .30-06 for 649$. So that is a possible option now.
>>
>>32680244
No idea. I believe it's considered acceptable, for better or for worse.
>>
>>32680227
I didn't even consider Mossberg, But Right now I guess its between Ruger American Predator and the Tikka. Unless I fingerfuck some at the gunstore and fall in love with a different Rifle.
>>32680268
I'll have to look into it now I just need to choose a caliber.
>>
>>32679932
Lol none of those rifles are anywhere near what you want for a precision or competition rifle. I'm not even gonna bother arguing, go get an ultralight tikka like the rest of these morons and pretend you're a bug hole master sniper with your hunting rifle and factory ammo. Enjoy mediocrity.
>>
>>32680304
:^)
>>
>>32680304
>you need a 5k rig to get into halfway acceptable rifle shooting
Being noguns sounds hilarious.
>>
>>32680304
Awesome, thanks.
Plus I live in Ohio and there is only one 1000+ yrs range in the state so I'm not going to have a chance to drop 5k on a rifle I'de have to drive across the state to use to its full potential.
>>
>>32680293
Stay away from big heavy calibers in light rifles. That's common sense. Look around you to see what the various precision communities are doing and try to copy that. You won't find one discipline where .300wm in a 8lb rifle is widespread, because it's retarded if you're trying to shoot well.
>>
>>32680357
Again I would be shooting sub 700yrds for a while. So I was just going to go with a non-magnum caliber or a .308 if I don't go with a lite rifle.
>>
>>32680316
You must be no guns if you think every competition rifle is $5k lol.
>>32680354
Now don't be stupid, my first competition rifle was $700 almost brand new, my first custom rifle was $2000 from the group up. You can get an amazing rifle for a normal price If you shop around a little bit and stay away from new trendy guns. Stay with tried and true styles that are used basically everywhere.
There's a reason you've never seen a tikka on an Flcass line or high-power match.
>>
>>32680394
This is the best thing you can do. Big calibers in light hard hitting rifles will make you develope a flinch and eat your wallet for no gain. You'd be best served with a .223 or 6.5c or similar If you don't reload and only plan on punching paper. Factory match ammo is affordable for those two.
>>
>>32680399
So what would you recommend?
Most 1000yrd guns I see are Rem700 base with custom everything and either 6.5CM or 6.5 x 47 Lapua. Or anything 6mm really.
>>
>>32679932
If you really wanna Reach out and touch someone, you really wanna go with 30-06.
Thats what our guys used to kill japs. Can't go wrong with that.
>>
>>32680394
Op you see this. I got this rifle and scope for $900 and it'd make a perfect competition gun for you.
>Savage 10fpsr
>.223 heavy fluted barrel
>Accu trigger
>Bedding block
>Removable magazine
>Threaded barrel
>6.5-20 Leupold vx3
>>
>>32680435
I'd checkout the Ruger predator rifle in 6.5 creed if you want a bargain rifle, asides from that I'd checkout savages lineup. They're really the only company that makes factory rifles that win national level competitions out of the box. Team savage actually had a 1000yd world record with a $1500 6.5x284 model 12 for a few years.
>>
>>32680435
Link related.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/08/savage-f-tr-team-world-beaters-on-a-budget/
>>
>>32680464
What Model? The only ones in my range is the XP II and 11/111.
The American Predator is top 3 for me.Also I heard hornady has great ammo at a decent price for 6.5CM
>>
>>32680452
The rifle is 789$ retail and the scope, which I could only find used is 298$, you must be great at bartering.
>>
>>32680492
I'd recommend saving and purchasing something with a heavy barrel, that's basically a must if you want to shoot precision. Op I really think you should save up a grand or two and then buy a good long range setup. If you're trying to do this stuff on a budget you're not gonna have a good time, I don't think you've considered the $600-$1000 for a good scope either.

Yes Hornady factory 6.5 is a thing of legend, super affordable
>>
>>32680586
Part of me does want to save up and go all out into this. I planed to spend up to 200-300$ for a scope. I should have stated earlier that I want to work my way into this. For now it will be recreational. For the last 6 months I've been averaging 60+ hrs a week where I work and I may not even be able to get heavily invested in precision shooting, so thats why I dont want to spend so much.
>>
>>32680635
Maybe just get a .22 and have fun for now? With that budget you're really going to be left wanting with optics, I'm not trying to be a dick it's simply true that you get what you pay for with glass. When people say spend 2x what you spent on your rifle on your glass they mean it, it'll pay dividends later.
Take a look at your local gun shops and see what you can find for a used heavy barreled .22lr/mag/.17hmr/mach2/etc and just have fun with it out to 200+ while you save for a quality long range rifle you won't be replacing in 6 months. None very thrifty to buy a rifle now for close to a grand that's going to be replaced with a system that's double the cost in the near future.
>>
Howa 1500
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.