[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the US even bother with Okinawa and Iwo Jima, the islands

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 71343-004-339D054B.jpg (37KB, 390x350px) Image search: [Google]
71343-004-339D054B.jpg
37KB, 390x350px
Why did the US even bother with Okinawa and Iwo Jima, the islands could have blockaded for a few weeks and then a small force of Marines could go in and shoot some half starved half dead Japs.
>>
>>32678309
Look up the flight range of a B-25 and B-29 and find out.
>>
because America is run by evil mass murderers who don't think you can fight a war without fire bombing civilians
>>
>>32678316

I'm not asking why capturing the islands was important, I'm asking why bother attacking a defended island when you can just surround it until the defenders starve to death.
>>
>>32678326
Bait/10

Nice try weeb.
>>
>>32678327
because who cares about some dumb conscripted fodder
>>
File: IMG_4069.jpg (229KB, 800x607px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4069.jpg
229KB, 800x607px
>>32678327
That would take way too long, it was faster to fight them and secure the island than to siege it.

If you want to talk about border line fucks up, Tarawa and Peleliu are better battles to discuss

How would /k/ minimize the casualties the Marines and Soldiers suffered taking Tarawa and Peleliu?
>>
>>32678352
invade japan via alaskan islands
>>
>>32678359
Actually the exact opposite thing happened

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands_Campaign
>>
>>32678309
At some point the militaries need to justify their budget to keep the support of the politicians.
Iwo Jima and Okinawa were absolutely unnecessary, >>32678316
the flight range required to bomb Japan was already ensured with Tinian 6months before.
>>
>>32678352
Okinawa and Iwo Jima provided emergency landing sites for B-29 crews that were damaged though.
>>
>>32678327
Because they had supplies that would last for months.
>>
>>32678309
Because Hollywood needed something to base films on.
>>
>>32679440
best answer anon.
don't forget war documentaries by faggots also.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/films/vietnam
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.