[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck does the recoil of the bullet exploding in the chamber

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

How the fuck does the recoil of the bullet exploding in the chamber not blow the bolt of a straight-pull rifle back out of the gun? Seriously. If pulling back on it can make it open, why doesn't the force of the explosion push it open?
>>
>>32672120
Because they engineered it structurally with safety in mind?
>>
>>32672120
The handle is connected to an unlocked portion of a bolt that can lock or unlock the important part.

The chamber is connected to the locked portion that doesn't move at normal chamber pressure.
>>
>>32672120
Basically, they have bolts and bolt carriers, just like an auto. The charging handle is actually attached to the carrier. It will generally initiate a camming motion via a helical groove on the surface of the bolt, thus unlocking it.
>>
the same way an AR-15 bolt doesn't cycle if you shut off or plug the gas system. the bolt is locked into the locking lugs, pulling the bolt handle rotates bolt and unlocks it from the lugs, allowing it to cycle.
>>
>>32672120
do you wonder why shooting a semi automatic doesn't blow the chamber open immediately, too?
>>
>>32672142
How is it engineered such that me pulling the bolt back opens it but the bullet detonating does not?
>>
>>32672191

How is a gas pedal engineered so that your foot doesn't have to pull on it to decelerate?
>>
>>32672183
So the only difference between a straight pull and a bolt action is that with a bolt-action, you manually turn the lugs out of their grooves where as with a straight pull you pull on a lever that does it for you?
>>
>>32672191
Pulling the latch rotates the lugs out of the way using a mechanism that isnt effected by what happens in the chamber
>>
>>32672191
How is a hatchback trunk door engineered such pulling open the handle opens it but accelerating doesn't?
>>
>>32672120
>>32672191
because that's not how recoil works, the recoil wouldn't make the bolt handle jump backwards relative to the bolt because why would it be accelerating at a greater speed? it accelerates at a slower speed and therefore relative to the action the inertia will push it forward

mauser made a self loading rifle in 1916 that relied on a piece seperate from the locked action to stay 'stiller' relative to the recoiling action, and the forward motion of this piece is what unlocked the bolt. so no, the bolt handle wouldnt go back because it just doesnt comply with the laws of physics.
>>
>>32672270
You're making this sound so much more complicated than it needs to be
>>
>>32672221
exactly, though it can be with rotating bolt as well as a tilt bolt (see: ar-15/k-31, sks/m88 steyr)
>>
>>32672291
i know because im literally awful at physics but you get the jist of it right
>>
>>32672120
It works similarly to an AR-15. The bolt is locked in place and recoil alone has flat surfaces engaging each other--the bolt won't rotate from rearward force. The action is cycled and the carrier first rotates the bolt, then extracts, ejects, and chambers a new round. Guns with actions that rely on recoil to cycle are typically blowback actions--like most 22's and many 9mm's and similar.
>>
File: k31_bolt.jpg (26KB, 570x372px) Image search: [Google]
k31_bolt.jpg
26KB, 570x372px
>>32672120
Locking lugs, NIGGER.
>>
>>32672309
No but I understand how straight pulls work mechanically so it's okay
>>
>>32672332
I didn't really understand how a horizontal pull could turn locking lugs like the motion on a traditional bolt action does, but I think I get it now.
>>
>>32672332
A picture is worth a thousand words...
>>
>>32672120

No when in battery to bolt is rotated in the chamber to lock. When you pull the bolt backwards it cams on a surface and unlocks the bolt. If you were able to shoot while it was unlocked then you would probably get injured or damage the gun badly.
>>
New question, why didn't straight pulls replace bolt actions? They seem inherently superior due to their ease of use.
>>
>>32672559
Not worth the extra machining, complexity and cost for such a small benefit.
>>
>>32672559
Several reasons: The ROF increase isn't that much when applied to long shots/ masses of infantry, there are more complex, and more expensive. If those last two points don't bother you then you might as well go full semi-auto at that point as well. Further, remember that in those days ammo QC wasn't as good as today, and there was a real chance you could get (especially in poorer countries) a random cartridge that is well above normal parameters, which a more robust action (like a mouser action) would handle better.
>>
>>32672730
ugh, Mauser*
>>
>>32672191
Force vectors

When closed the bolt will be forces back into the rest of the action, but will not rotate because the force of the gas isnt rotating it

Its like pulling on a screw: its not gonna unscrew itself from being pulled directly away
>>
>>32672559

There's little difference between the two in ROF and ease of use

I find my K31 to be more awkward than other bolt guns, really, but that could be that I started off on traditional Mauser actions and old CZs
>>
>>32672183
Speaking of the AR-15, the internal piston DI was inspired by reports of Ross rifles unlocking themselves by pierced primers injecting gas through the firing pin channel and pushing the bolt and bolt carrier apart and thus unlocking them.
>>
>>32672781
I find it awkward too. You really have to give it a sharp, strong tug to open it, then you have to slam it home to make sure the charging handle and op rod are fully forward.
>>
>>32672120
Locking lugs
>>
>>32672861
I somehow really doubt this given the gas piston system is hardly related to the Bang system which is closer to what you are describing
>>
So... guys... guys wait... what if...

what if we... on a bolt action... the bolt

we leave it... wait... get this..

leave the bolt... the handle... facing UP

but somehow its still locked.... and then.. we

...we SHOOT it... guys... would the bolt..

would the bolt... shoot back?
>>
>>32672559

>New question, why didn't straight pulls replace bolt actions?

Because it was only a few years between the introduction of straight pull bolt action rifle and somebody figuring out you could put a piston on one and have it do the pulling for you.

So everyone either stuck with regular bolt action rifles to save money and to keep soldiers from 'wasting ammo', or went to semi-auto rifles for more firepower.
>>
>>32672978
You can't shoot a bolt action with the bolt open bc it wouldn't be cocked/trigger wouldn't engage.
>>
This is what happens if you reassemble the bolt of a straight pull rifle incorrectly and the locking lugs don't connect to their control surfaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaSui_UqDX8
>>
locking lugs nigger.
>>
>>32672559
Because most conscripts only had rifles to give them enough confidence to charge the enemy, actually shooting them didn't matter a whole lot.

Killing people at distance is the job of arty. Most people in all recent wars die from explosions, by a wide margin.
>>
>>32672120
This has got to be the greatest b8 i have ever seen
>>
>>32673292
I was being serious.
>>
File: ar15.jpg (113KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ar15.jpg
113KB, 1024x768px
With AR-15:

Bolt carrier holds bolt.
Bolt has locks on end.
Chamber has locks.
Bolt rotates inside carrier to lock and unlock.
When bolt is locked it only hits the locks. Cannot move back.
When gas pushes the bolt carrier back, a cam system rotates the bolt, unlocking it and allowing bolt to go back along with the carrier.
On return stroke, same cam system rotates and locks bolt.
In other words, recoil cannot force bolt back. But bolt carrier forces bolt to rotate and unlock. Gas pressure forcing back bolt carrier is applied a split second after recoil.

This is confusing. But if you play with an upper receiver a few times you will see exactly how this plays out.
>>
>>32672191
There is a receiver that takes most of the blowback. Bold action is more of a lever on an safe. You need to push it up for it to open when you pull it back. How are you on /k/ but you don't know this? Are you one of those COD fags who has never shot a gun?
>>
>>32672191
the bolt rotates and is backed by the barrel extension. the bolt is not going to be pushed backward at this point. the force of the pressure in the chamber, does not influence this. the bullet fires. when the bolt hand is pulled back, the bolt is rotated by a lug on the handle traveling straight back and interacting with the camming groove on the bolt, which is that angled notch on the bolt in the OP picture. after the bolt runs its rotation, it travels in a track in which it cannot rotate, causing it to travel to the rear. on the forward stroke, when the bolt can no longer move forward, and has space to rotate, the lug on the bolt handle will rotate it to the locked position so it can be fired.
>>
>>32672191
How is your mom's anus engineered such that my penis tears it apart but her monstrous protein farts don't?
>>
>>32672265
Magnets?
>>
>>32672191
On the K31 at least, the bolt handle has a cam that forces the bolt sleeve and bolt to turn. This engages and disengages the locking lugs.
>>
>>32673004
Mauser actions cock on open m8.
>>
>>32672120
M95 Steyr masterrace
>>
>>32672191
because of fucking swiss magic. now stop asking questions
>>
File: 34612347123461.jpg (106KB, 800x320px) Image search: [Google]
34612347123461.jpg
106KB, 800x320px
>>32672120
You see this?
It's a spring inside the bolt, so the striker does not blow back out through the bolt and into your cheek.
>>
>>32672120
because the bolt lugs rotated and locked it
>>
>>32672191
cams
>>
>>32677870
Not that this answers the question but the Mauser 96 is cock on close
>>
>>32672120
Because people smarter than you designed them
>>
File: 1480938957474.png (262KB, 416x577px) Image search: [Google]
1480938957474.png
262KB, 416x577px
What the fuck is this thread?
>>
>>32672214
CE major here, can confirm 100% gas pedal was engineered with witch magic. AMA
>>
File: k31 bolt.jpg (114KB, 855x558px) Image search: [Google]
k31 bolt.jpg
114KB, 855x558px
>>32672347
>>
File: you serious1.jpg (2KB, 124x98px) Image search: [Google]
you serious1.jpg
2KB, 124x98px
>>32672882
>bolt action rifle
>operating rod
>>
>>32677870
i can tell you dont know how a Mauser works
>>
>>32673006
thats only the Ross
>>
>>32672191
When the bullet goes boom the force is back. The lugs stop it. When you pull it the lugs rotate out of the way.
>>
>>32672559
money
>>
>>32672347
Nigga it has cams that turn the bolt.
>>
>>32672730
By what I've heard, the 1910 Ross is a quite strong action, actually stronger then the Mauser action. Also the Steyr m95 has 30% more locking lug surface area than a Mauser. Both guns are straight pull.
>>
>>32679501
>thats only the 1910 Ross
FTFY. 1905 Ross doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>32672120
When the bolt is pushed forward it rotates the lugs same as in a bolt action, just that the bolt is differently shaped to rotate itself, just watch a forgotten weapons video on the k31 and it will make alot more sense
>>
>>32672191
What is CAM

Fucking retarded. What do they teach children these days
>>
>>32672214
>decelerate
>>
>>32679559
Either he's referring to the 3rd safety lug and is simply inarticulate or else he's not and is plain retarded.

But number of lugs aside (since even the 98 only has two load bearing lugs) the rest of that post is flawed too. I'm unaware of a single country that fielded a rifle or ammunition in the whole of the bolt action era that had such issues with quality control that their rifles were at risk of damage from their ammo. Even Lee Enfields, the most numerous and widely used among the 'weaker' actions, never had those problems; and .303 was some of most notoriously ill produced ammo. Depending on manufacturer it raged from fine to terrible and out of spec in both dimensions and pressures; and it was produced in various countries so quality control was not consistent. To say nothing of the Krag, an weaker action.

Strenght and saftey of straight pulls was not a factor in why they never really became mainstream.
>>
>>32680704
I will agree with the strength part. Safety tho, I will disagree. The ross 1910 was pulled from the frontlines because of numerous reasons, one of which bring the fact the bolt could be assembled wrong and fly out when firing. They fixed this, but the troops had lost trust in the rifle, in addition to its other problems, and so it was pulled.
>>
>>32679474
>Straight pull action
>literacy and comprehension skills
>>
>>32677870
The sear doesn't engage until the bolt is fully closed. Therefore it cannot be fired.
>>32679486
Most mauser actions cock on opening. There are exceptions though as another anon has stated.
>>
File: a_best.jpg (833KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
a_best.jpg
833KB, 1920x1080px
>>32672233
>>32677666
correct answers

now leave this thread and never look back
>>
>>32681184
I would say that isn't a problem with the structural design of the lugs, the receiver or any other load bearing part but a problem with the mechanical design of the rifle. But you have a point because that wouldn't have happened with a turn bolt.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.