[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats your opinion on the french foreign legion? I am thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: repetition_satory.jpg (66KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
repetition_satory.jpg
66KB, 1000x667px
Whats your opinion on the french foreign legion?

I am thinking about joining it.
>>
File: 5d89b17837f1474521c7e67e6ec36f57.jpg (152KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
5d89b17837f1474521c7e67e6ec36f57.jpg
152KB, 1000x667px
>>
>>32654677
not enough diversity

needs more females and minorities
>>
>>32654677
You'll prob die in training or come out a real soldier. No IG complaints there.
>>
File: 9569263963307.jpg (22KB, 511x682px) Image search: [Google]
9569263963307.jpg
22KB, 511x682px
shits fucked

but if u want action, you'll get it.
>>
File: 1462413169199.jpg (71KB, 540x591px) Image search: [Google]
1462413169199.jpg
71KB, 540x591px
>>32654677
youll either get deployed a lot or get sent to a shit regiment , life in the legion is miserable but then again it what you make of it

you wont be some super special soldier you'll just be a legionary until your contract expires , you'll learn a lot about yourself and you'll learn to fight dirty but you wont be able to join black waters or any other credible PMC
>>
>>32654677
A. You won't.
B. You can't.
>>
>>32654726
It's a foreign legion, it's almost entirely minorities.
>>
>>32654677
Rag tag group of criminals, undesirables, fuckups and poor people.

Arguably unnecessarily brutal training/indoc.

Dangerous missions with a distinct lack of worthwhile support.

Mediocre combat proficiency. Better than third world military, nowhere near as capable as most first world military units.

Not somewhere I would want to be, but it beats being a hobo, going to prison or committing suicide.
>>
I'm thinking about joining it too.

I'm physically fit with military experience and from a 3rd world shithole. I seem like the perfect legionnaire material.
>>
It's my backup plan if i get a girl pregnant and she wants my money.
>>
>>32655033
What country? Aus infantry here. Want to join.
>>
>>32655037
Brazilian. Participated in the pacification of the favelas as a communications corporal.

May god help us. So we can get some good job and become yesguns fags.
>>
>>32655043
Hopefully France has civil war and we can remove kebab
>>
>>32655051
Man... if i get the chance to fight i really don't care who i'm fighting against. I might even join any Ukrainian or Christian militia in the middle east.

Screw this boring life. Executing drug lords best day in my life.
>>
>>32655043
There are some Brazilians in the FFL
>>
>>32655086
I know, been doing my research. Lately i saw a video of a Brazilian instructor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKBi7apdtJg&t=0s
>>
>>32655019
>unnecessarily brutal training/indoc
I'm not military but I suppose it's not easy to command a bunch of psychopath with only 200 words, and be 100% sure you can rely on them. A work of deconstruction seems necessary to me.
>>
No privacy for 5 years.
>>
>>32655086
>>32655102
They know at least one word in Potuguese... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck9wxF-ViYI
>>
File: french-foreign-legion.jpg (178KB, 900x599px) Image search: [Google]
french-foreign-legion.jpg
178KB, 900x599px
>>32655019
>nediocre combat proficiency
>nowhere near as capable as most first world military units

Yeah anon, they aren't well trained at all.

That is the reason why France deploys them in the most difficult conflicts and operations it involves its military in.

The fact that they are so uncapable of fighting is also the reason why they have earned the reputation of being some of the best fighters in the world throughout history, since the founding of the unit.
>>
>>32654829
>won't be able to join any credible pmc
Why not?
>>
>>32655308
Despite your fantasies they are not an elite fighting force. Combat proficiency boils down to more than their individual tenacity and abilities. By virtue of their numbers, their tactics and more importantly their support, they are lacking compared to a first world military unit.

Have you ever known anyone who served with the FFL? Get it from the horse's mouth. They aren't incapable, but they are not some elite fighting force to be feared the world over.

>The most difficult conflicts
More like conflicts the French are unwilling to commit conventional forces to. They are made more difficult by the fact they are under-trained, under-supplied and under-supported in every engagement they are deployed to.
>>
>>32655308
>That is the reason why France deploys them in the most difficult conflicts and operations it involves its military in.

The reason is probably that the French public flips shit if French people die in some godforsaken old colony. Assorted niggers and slavs? Not so much.
>>
>>32654677
>I am thinking about joining it.
>I am thinking
>thinking

*close tab
>>
>>32655340
So elite fighting forces are the ones that can be under fire of half a dozen afghan tribesmen and have to call devastating air support to get out of it alive?
>>
>>32655340
>they are lacking compared to a first world military unit
Not this anon, but the ffl IS a first world military unit, strictly speaking.
>>
>>32654677
if you want to be with french criminals that's the best, yes
>>
>>32655367
That's from the 1900's. Every Frenchmen loves the Legion, that's why they are last to go at Bastille Day. It's a respectable unit
>>
>>32655496
No they don't, people don't care about the Legion. They walk last because they have such a slow marching cadence.
>>
>>32655037
>>32655043
>http://foreignlegion.info/joining/
This website has all the info you need
>>
>>32655367
In what kind of creepy world do you live? A french soldier is a French soldier no matter the regiment, every KIA is treated with the same respect. The legion is very respected here.
>>
>>32655501
>they have such a slow marching cadence
They used to be deployed a lot in deserts, and it's better to walk slowly on the sand if you don't want a simple walk to drain your forces.
>>
>>32655615
>>32655496
in France they are considered like a very tough legion build with old criminals who are respected for that
>>
>>32655650
Nah this is a myth. The slow marching cadences they adopted from Swiss soldiers.
>>
>>32655650
As long as you walk without rhythm
>>
>>32654677
the whole idea of the french foreign legion was to kill of the migrants that joined it

also i don't think you get pensioned after leaving
>>
>>32655785
>the whole idea of the french foreign legion was to kill of the migrants that joined it
lol, they failed so bad.
Actually it was created to gather all the foreign regiments that existed in that time.
>>
>>32654677
Do you live in a first world nation?
Join your armed forces, the benefits will be better period.

The occasional free beer from a retard who gets swayed by the Legion mystique isn't worth not getting into college or trade school. Barracks sluts get wet over every soldier so don't let that hold you back.
>>
>>32655821
I live in bulgaria and our military is shit.
I have been wasting all my life so far doing nothing/things that I dont enjoy and hope that joining the legion and getting some action can turn it around and give me purpose.
>>
>>32655785
>French citizenship may be applied for after three years' service.
sauce https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Foreign_Legion
>>
>>32655785
>>32656122
>Additionally, any soldier who becomes injured during a battle for France immediately becomes a French citizen under a provision known as "Français par le sang versé" ("French by spilled blood").
>>
>>32655019
>>32655308
You're both talking about old shit that doesn't have any relevance nowadays.
Originally the Legion was created in 1831 to regroup the different Swiss troops fighting for France, so that they could fight outside of the kingdom (namely, in Algeria), their pay and living conditions were shit.
They've fought in some shitty conflicts later on, such as in Mexico, with an event that is remembered up to this day as some pinnacle of bravery and honor. (Camerone)

After WW2 it became a getaway for hardcore peope who had nothing left to lose, such as nazi troops which were deployed in Indochina and Algeria, and they were indeed considered shock/elite troops at that point in time. Again, they've earned a lot of respect, especially at Dien Bien Phu.

A bit later, a few generals tried to use the Legion for a putsch against DeGaulle. At that moment it should have been disbanded but was kept.

In the 90's after the end of conscription, the Legion lost it's reason to exist, and again it was considered that it should be disbanded, but was kept for "muh tradition" purpose.

Nowadays the Legion is nothing but a part of the army, same weapons, same equipment, same training, same missions, same pay. They are not any more elite than any French soldier, they have several regiments, including support and they operate with the rest of the military.
They are not sent to battle at a greater rate, there are a bunch of regiments in rotation to decide which will get deployed, and there are some regiments of the Legion. They also have a few bases in Africa which might motivate their deployment in nearby zones.
They don't take criminals anymore. If you've comitted a minor offense such as theft it's not going to be an issue, but if you're a rapist or a killer you won't get in.
A shitload of people want to join, so they can be extremely picky about who they choose, they don't actually need many recruits.
>>
>>32655115
You're an idiot.
"Deconstruction" is a bullshit word attempting to excuse hazing and unnecessary brutality.
"Being sure you can rely on them" is more a function of leadership. Anyone can be a grunt, but the military has always had a problem facilitating and promoting decent leaders.
>>
>>32655776
>As long as you walk without rhythm

Yep. Rhythm will collapse the desert like a weak bridge and turn it into a pile of sand. I hate it when that happens.
>>
>>32654726
From what I've heard its mostly latinoamericans, blacks, and and Eastern Europeans trying to escape poverty
>>
>>32655308

this is complete nonsense

all you daydreaming fucking kids need to read this and understand it unequivocally: THE LEGION IS JUST REGIMENTS IN THE FRENCH ARMY STAFFED BY FOREIGN RECRUITS

thats it. They are not better trained or more hardcore or anything fucking else. They have the EXACT SAME CURRICULUM as "normal" french units. BECAUSE THEY ARE IN THE SAME FUCKING MILITARY

They learn the same stuff, they go through the same courses, they have the same equipment. The only difference between regular french army and the legion is legionnaires have restrictions placed on their freedom outside of work hours, and they will never get a secret security clearnace unless they become french citizens, ergo they can never serve in special forces (and NO, the GCP, GCM and GCI are NOT special forces, they are commando units. They do not have secret security clearance

The idea that the FFL is deployed to do the hardest fighting is absolute nonsense. The FFL had two rotations in afghanistan and they enjoyed relatively low levels of conflict. Conversely, many "regular" french units were paramount to the success of major offensives, and suffered periods of intense conflict.

> also the reason why they have earned the reputation of being some of the best fighters in the world throughout history, since the founding of the unit.

the legions mythos HAS NEVER been based on their fighting prowess. It has historically been based on being able to eat and suffer through a shit sandwich, back when the legion was treated as a doomed brigade to be sent off to shitholes the french government didnt really care about so they wouldnt have to hear whinging from french mothers.

This isnt contrarian history at all: all the legion's tales, songs and lore revolve around men suffering and enduring the worst of circumstances.

Jesus christ we get this thread every few days. The FFL is not "elite" in any sense of the word. go back to daydreaming about underwater knife fighting faggot
>>
>>32654677
Don't assume they'll accept you. You need to be a hard motherfucker. The rewards are not so great
>>
>>32658481
>They have the EXACT SAME CURRICULUM as "normal" french units.

No, The life in the legion is radically different from the regular french troops. The recruitment, the training process, the barracks life, the life outside the barracks, the conditions of deployment, everything but the material is different. Otherwise they're just regiments within the army of course, I wonder where the "special forces" joke comes from.

>>32658481
>It has historically been based on being able to eat and suffer through a shit sandwich,

That's still true. Since they never complain as a matter of principle, they are often poorly supplied. Which is economicaly appreciable...

Whatever, they're the last guys you would want to fight.
>>
>>32655315
also curious
>>
>>32660289

the lifestyle is different. The curriculum is not.

I'm not making this up just for shits and giggles, the coursework you do as a legionnaire infantryman, calvaryman, radio operator etc etc is all the same thing equivalent positions in "regular" french army do, right down to the title of the qualifications, for example, CP00 is basic infantry course, CP04 is combat engineer course

so in terms of the legion somehow getting this completely bizzaro world imagery as being an elite fighting force, it simply does not exist. They learn the exact same material, and in fact i would bet the regular french troops are often better trained due to getting the more favorable end of the budget.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.