[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just found out I got into the navy's nuclear propulsion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: Ohio_Class_Sub.jpg (110KB, 665x350px) Image search: [Google]
Ohio_Class_Sub.jpg
110KB, 665x350px
I just found out I got into the navy's nuclear propulsion officer program. Anyone here have experience on nuclear submarines/ insights into life at sea in general?
>>
>>32651975
you will be committing suicide in 2 years time
>>
>>32651986

Are you speaking from personal experience? It's tight quarters and a lot of work, but it seems like it'd be an interesting thing to do.
>>
>>32651975
Learn to masturbate in close quarters of another person who, more likely than not, is also masturbating.
>>
>>32651975
you won't make it through the program
>>
>>32651975
Whoooo son.
Nuke JOs get shit on by the CO more than literally anyone else.
Get used to polyphasic sleep, youll be surviving deployments on 2 or 3 hour naps between shit going wrong and ass chewings.
Sub life isnt bad, all in all, you just gotta find a way to stay entertained and dont let yourself count days.

Any specific questions you have or what?
>>
>>32652011
>Are you speaking from personal experience?

How could be possibly be speaking from personal experience?
>>
>>32652011
Highest suicide rate of any job in the military I believe. You're going to be stressed out the entire time.

There are a couple nukes on here, I'm sure they could add more.
>>
>>32652060

How's the food on the subs? And do you have access to an outlet? I figure if I can bring my kindle with me and load it up with books I'll be able to read a bit when I'm not getting my ass chewed or furiously trying to get qualified.
>>
>>32652102
>>32652060

Also, what sort of shit does the CO chew you out for beyond the whole general incompetence of being a butter bar
>>
>>32652102
Foods actually pretty damn good for like 10 days after you leave port. After that, its back to powdered eggs and fake milk.
I recommend breakfast, its by far the best and most consistent meal on a sub, and for me personally eating breakfast underway is just my way of starting my day off decently.

Yes, there are outlets everywhere. Ive brought my kindle with me underway since my 2nd deployment and its been a lifesaver (was too busy qualifying shit on my first for anything)
Learn how to play cribbage, and spades, and bring some cards underway as well.
Also hard candy because thats all you can have in the engine room.
>>
>>32652136

Day to day what are you doing as an ensign job wise?
>>
>>32652122
Whoops, missed this.
If your watch section fucks something up, its an ass chewing.
If you become a department head (like weaps, weapons officer) and something weapons related is brokedick, its an ass chewing.
If you fuck up on your watch, its an ass chewing.
Literally anything. The sub force is very reactionary with problems, and by nature things needs to be fixed immediately, so the urgency of "get all your dudes up and get them on fixing this shit STAT" is conveyed by ass chewing.
>>
Have fun at Prototype, nigger. Hopefully you're not (entirely) autistic. We need more autists like we need more farts in this stank tube.
>>
>>32652160

Another one I've thought of. From your experience how were the retention rates? Did most JO's decide to stick it out after their 5 years or did they get the hell out of there. I did a recruiting trip to San Diego and the Lieutenants that lead the trip recommended doing at least 7 years since the pay is good and those last 2 years are shore duty that usually isn't too bad.
>>
I also was thinking about joining to be in subs, so asschewings everywhere. Does the time go by fast or is it like I am reading and you just count days and are bored or getting yelled at the whole time?
>>
>>32652157
Well to be clear im dirty enlisted so all of this is my observations (i have a little over 400 days cumulative underwater)
These guys stand OOD watch (driving the boat) first. Then after that is any department level duties they have (like maybe weaps need to observe them moving torpedoes around or Eng needs to sign tags for a piece of equipment)
So in general, an 8 hour watch, followed by 4 ish hours of department work, then fuckall time, then rack time.
>>
>>32652175

I'd like to think I'm moderately well adjusted.
>>
>>32652188
Most JOs i met seemed to get stockholmed eventually, and sub life kinda has a "embrace the suck" nature to it, so i wouldnt be suprised if like 60 ish percent of those dudes stuck around.
>>32652193
Mang its really not that bad. You get to know people, ive been to some cool ass places, and you get to do some sketchy things. You have 8 hours of do your job and 16 hours to occupy with something else. Some dudes read, some play vidya, some play cards, but the time does actually go by relatively quickly.
>>
>>32652225
>sketchy things
???
>>
File: download.jpg (14KB, 184x275px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14KB, 184x275px
>>32652249
Just go buy this book and give it a read.
>>
>>32651975
Dear friend,

Congratulations on a very good job! As thanks for job well done, we gift you HTC phone with very own super security ROM for personal use. Phone has super GPS and Baidu strong signal to track your phone even when under water! Very helpful if submarine is lost in the ocean.

For easy delivery of phone, please send email and address of shipping.
>>
>>32652225
>You have 8 hours of do your job and >16 hours to occupy with something >else.

24 hour day? What boat are you on?
Btw op, subs blow ass, highly not recommended.
>>
>>32651975
I considered myself a good man before I became a nuke. I no longer do. I hated every last moment after the end of enlisted A school. It was the single biggest mistake I've ever made. If you have any option whatsoever to throw it all away and do ANYTHING else, I'd take it.

>>32652086
Ayup. Carrier guy, unfortunately, so I lack that relevant perspective, but I'd enlist as an E-1 USMC 0311 before I'd resume life as a USN E-5.
>>
>>32652188
Carrier side, retention was awful for O and E. Now that the Enterprise is gone, you may have better luck.
>>
File: 51JJ1KG9QQL.jpg (43KB, 332x475px) Image search: [Google]
51JJ1KG9QQL.jpg
43KB, 332x475px
>>32652267
11/10 choice. Also, watch this movie.
>>
>>32652718
My squigga
>>
>>32652718

Totally fucking underrated.
>>
>>32651975
>You're stuck inside a phallic shaped, metal tube for 6 months at a time.
>You're surrounded constantly by men.
>The majority of them have the title of Seamen.

I don't know about living in submarines but I heard the jokes write themselves...
>>
Get prepared to read a lot. Also, you wont be talking to friends/family much.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.