[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for /k/ Why don't militaries use stick grenades

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: stielhandgranate.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
stielhandgranate.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
Question for /k/
Why don't militaries use stick grenades any more as a frag variant? I understand that the standard "egg" shaped grenades are lighter, easier to prime and can be bounced around corners more easily, but then again the stick variant could be thrown further and more accurately thanks to the leverage. Why don't militaries just issue infantry with a few of each depending on situation where one would be better suited than the other?
>>
File: 129194_r500.jpg (43KB, 497x500px) Image search: [Google]
129194_r500.jpg
43KB, 497x500px
>>32643716
Weight, space, logistics, no need. Ordinary grenades work just fine and we have grenade launchers for longer distances.
>>
>>32643716
Some places still use them
>>
>>32643716

Stick grenades are harder to carry, pack less of a punch, add more weight to a soldier, and typically have less shrapnel thrown.

Grenades are inherently short range. The little extra leverage would be absolutely pointless as you wouldn't need to throw one further than you can already throw a frag grenade.
>>
File: German_Mit_MP18.jpg (164KB, 565x800px) Image search: [Google]
German_Mit_MP18.jpg
164KB, 565x800px
They're more expensive than mills type hand grenades they do less damage thanks to their lack of shrapnel they are bulkier so you can't carry as many (unless you use those sacks under your arm like a stormtrooper)

The only real advantage stick grenades have is they can be thrown farther
>>
>>32643716
Stick grenades were never in the majority in the first place. When Germany lost WW2 there was zero impetus for any military to pick up the use of the stick grenade.
>>
>>32643806
But many countries used stick grenades. Soviets included.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGD-33_grenade
>>
>>32643716
Because we'd actually have to carry it. Not pull it out of our inventory in a video game.

Got any other genius ideas?
>>
>>32643725
Rare picture of one of Wilhelm Tells descendants?
>>
File: P1020429.jpg (113KB, 1023x767px) Image search: [Google]
P1020429.jpg
113KB, 1023x767px
>>32643742
>>32643743
>pack less of a punch
Only by design. They were meant to be used in assaults where a like 20m kill zone could be a liability. The Germans and also russians just think had frag sleeves that you could slide over the head too if needed.
>>
>>32643743

Except stick grenades cannot really be thrown farther than best of egg-shaped hand grenades. Source: Actual Finnish Army tests made for various hand grenade designs circa year 1942.
>>
Ease of manufacturing was one consideration. The fuse on handled grenades is less complicated, I simple friction type ignition rather than chemical fuse.
>>
File: liberator.png (485KB, 750x427px) Image search: [Google]
liberator.png
485KB, 750x427px
OP here, thanks for the answers everybody. Have a rare liberator pic
>>
>>32643820

Many countries did go with stick hand grenades early on, but now they are practically gone - and for very good reasons.

The first modern Russian hand grenade design (model 1912) was a stick hand grenade and its followers m/14, m/15 and m/14-30 were also stick hand grenades. Hence they had a reason to go with that sort of design.

BTW: RDG-33 is a classic example of totally fucked up grenade design - far too complicated for easy and swift use while under fire.
>>
>>32644011

Fragmentation sleeves had their own issues - if grenade was thrown to hard surface the sleeve could fall off.
>>
>>32643716
Why are we not issuing granatlatls?

It would look like a ladle with a socket on the end that would fit a common grenade of your choice.

Range of a stick grenade,
lethality of a Mills-style grenade
>>
>>32644028
DIY pull ring ignitor, visco fuse, broom handle, soup cans and ffffg.
>>
>>32644077
Why are you trying to equate one specific design to an entire class weapon?
>>
>>32644023
know of any english sources for those tests?
>>
>>32644185

There are no sources commonly available about them even in Finnish at the moment. I am planning to write about the subject and happened to find test documents in local national archives.
>>
>>32644150

I know at least two grenade designs that according reports suffered from this problem...

Which grenade design did you think I was writing about?
>>
>>32643890
In german service... I think not.
>>
Hold up, /k/. The important question is, can you beat someone with a stick grenade?
>>
>>32643725
I want a grenade crossbow
>>
>>32644479
Yes, yes you can. A chink even used one to crack walnuts for 25 years.
>>
>>32644509
source
>>
>>32644509
Good. Therafore, I deem the stick bomb good enough for /k/. Or at least for myself. Anything that goes boom and can beat up a man when you don't need it to go boom is good.
>>
>>32644661
http://bfy (dot) tw/9TVk
>>
File: IMG_4923.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4923.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
>>32644661

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/33661439/man-uses-hand-grenade-as-nutcracker-for-25-years/#page1
>>
>>32646458
>>Authorities were not sure if the grenade contained explosives but believed it had not detonated.

That's some keen reporting right there...
>>
>>32643716
Awkward to carry and sometimes the impact isn't enough for them to go off due to malfunctions and what not.
>>
>>32647626
>implying they're all impact grenades
>implying their shape doesn't prevent excessive rolling that would carry ordinary grenades away from their spot before the fuse finished
>>
>>32647670
>implying they're all impact grenades
I said "sometimes". "Sometimes" doesn't imply all.

>implying their shape doesn't prevent excessive rolling that would carry ordinary grenades away from their spot before the fuse finished
Still awkward to carry. Also just throw the grenade at the right time and you won't get that problem? If that problem occurs at all...
>>
>>32643716
>but then again the stick variant could be thrown further
Literally against physics.
>>
>>32643716
Instead of a pin you had to pull it would be a string but sometimes the string got caught on things and that made it dangerous
>>
>>32648195
Or it could be used as boobytrap. Quite interesting manuals they had at the end of the war.
>>
>>32647754
>what is leverage
>>
>>32648363
It's not a lever, moron. Tell me how it would be possible to throw a heavier grenade farther than a lighter one.
>>
File: retard chamber.jpg (529KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
retard chamber.jpg
529KB, 2448x3264px
>>32648394
Read a book.
>>
File: ChiGrenade1.jpg (70KB, 400x626px) Image search: [Google]
ChiGrenade1.jpg
70KB, 400x626px
>>32646458
chinese used lots of these in korea
>>
The Germans played soccer growing up. The Americans played baseball. American soldiers could more easily throw egg shaped grenades. The Germans never developed that skill growing up. Hence the use of the stick grenade.
>>
>>32649685
God damn it I cant find the pictures of german children throwing fake Stielhandgranaten in programs of militarizing sociaty in 1933-39. Its like shot put. But like somewhat cute.
>>
Lots of answers but no one has really said it:
The stick grenade offers no benefit from a baseball grenade. It might be able to be thrown farther but with hand grenades it's a moot point. The distance you can toss a grenade is about the same distance the average joe can accurately land it on his intended target. Even then, most uses for grenades are not thrown at full arms swing but rather tosses into windows, buildings, murder holes, bunkers and ditches etc. Anything beyond your physical ability to throw it is fulfilled by a grenade launcher.

So basically to sum it up; hand grenades rarely get thrown far and if they need to then that's why we adopted grenade launchers.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.