[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that the general convention with naming firearms is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (94KB, 411x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
94KB, 411x270px
Why is it that the general convention with naming firearms is numbers or letters? I know there are exceptions like Taurus weapons and Cobrays unfortunate bullshit, but for the most part weapons manufacturers don't like to designate their platforms with names other than pre/suffixes like "scout". Is there any reason for this, or it's just an unspoken rule?
>>
At least the past few decades I would assume gun panic. You mentioned cobray, the name "streetsweeper" alone was just a bad decision in the end. Think of the damage the designation "AR-15" has had...
>>
>>32633521
The military designates their firearms using that naming convention, which has carried over the years. Using letters and numbers allows for the company to accurately and quickly describe their firearm without having a fuckhuge name. Some may also do it to appear more militaristic in the civilian market.
>>
Coming up with good names for stuff is really hard, especially when you have like... 40 guns that are basically exactly the same to name.
>>
>>32633639
Bow manufacturers do it. Fuck some knife manufacturers do it.
>>
>>32633684
Yeah, and all the names suck.
>>
>>32633712
Disagree. I also particularly like the way Vortex names scopes
>>
>>32633727
I have a Strike Eagle and even i think that calling an optic "spitfire" and "crossfire" and "thundercougarfalconfbird" is kind of fucking silly. Just look at all the chinese knockoff scopes for ~$50 on Amazon that all have XxTaCTICALxX in their names
>>
>>32633521
>Why is it that the general convention with naming firearms is numbers or letters?

Because it's way easier to say/write "M16" than "Nigger Blaster 5000"
>>
>>32633521
Easier to pick up and remember, for consumers; as well as more organized.
>>
>>32633521
Usually the numbers have some significance in terms of date of design and/or caliber fired, and oftentimes are accompanied by letters that stand for something. It also mimics the way most armed services label their weapons.
>>
>>32633829
>A name, period
>"...that have xXxTacTicaLxXx in them"

fuck off
>>
>>32635158
No fuck you OP, you autistic weeaboo faggot. Weapons aren't named with bullshit special snowflake names like your fucking JRPG because the vast majority of people think they sound fucking stupid.
>>
>>32635257
You're full of shit. Normal people like meme names like the DEAGLE BRAND DEAGLE and the Intervention and the Taurus Judge (the latter even goes full meme "DUDE IT SHOOTS SHOTGUN SHELLS BECAUSE FUCK YOU LOL")
>>
>>32633856
>Nigger Blaster 5000
Kek'd
>>
>>32633629
>>32633872
what kind of significance? Is there anywhere that has a list of this?
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 500x258px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 500x258px
>>32636375
anyone? Beuller? Beuller?
>>
>>32633856
Where2cop NB 5000?
>>
>>32633872
>>32636375

Colt Model 1911, MG-42, AK-47, ect:

Date of introduction based numbering. Many of these boil down to 'type of gun - year we started buying this gun'.

The US's tendency to use M-# weapons is slightly more complicated. Initially this started with Model/Mark # of Weapon Type, IE: M1 Garand rifle.

This worked, but created some confusion. The M1 Rifle, M1 Carbine, and M1 Grenade were all in service at once.

So numbers were shifted post-WW2. New rifles were given teen numbers, new MG were given the otherwise unused M60 designation, ect.

In general this system works fine. An M-16 is distinct from an M-67 or M-4, avoiding repeated numbers.

Why do manufactures use numbers? It's tradition, many were simply numbered by year of introduction. Others use logical numbers that describe the product line and development generation.
>>
>>32637414
I'm still kind of surprised there aren't really any companies trying to break out of this convention or using gimmicky names to appeal to certain demographics
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 1000x563px
>Cobray

Honestly, a 12 shot revolving .45-70 handgun called the Ladies Home
Companion, built off off a clockwork revolver shotgun-turned-destructive-device called the Streetsweeper is as close to a Borderlands gun as I can figure
>>
>>32633521
>letters and numbers
As opposed to shapes and colors?
>>
>>32635302
What CoD players like in a name has no bearing on what companies are disposed to calling their products. If the Intervention had been called the Cheytac M200, people would have liked that just as much. The affinity for the object comes before affinity for the name, not the other way around.
>>
>>32639584
No, like the things named in this thread. Some iconic names

>Desert Eagle
>Cheytacc Intervention
>Taurus Judge/Raging Bull
>Benelli Supernova
>Chiappa Rhino
>Cobrey Streetsweeper

Hell even the
>FN Five seveN

Are names that pack a punch. They sound better than M-1A or CZ75 or Glock 9001. Although, AK-47 has a certain ring to it.
>>
>>32633639

>be Smith and Wesson
>make a line of semi auto pistols, revolvers, ARs, and AR-looking .22s
>name all of them the M&P, for Military and Police
>they're for civilians
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 250x261px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 250x261px
>>32639822
>>
>>32639822
A lot of departments use their pistols and rifles.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.