[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've heard instructors and RSOs say it's "bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170113_011207.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170113_011207.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
I've heard instructors and RSOs say it's "bad for your pistol" to chamber rounds by releasing the slide catch, why is this? Is it really any different from pulling the slide to release the slide catch?
>>
>>32630188
They're probably trying to mitigate issues from slamfires, but then again 3/4 of RSO's are jaded dicks that get off on yelling at people.
>>
>>32630188
Common tacticool lore is that under high stress situations you lose all fine motor skills and won't be able to release the slide with the slide release
>>
>>32630211
>>32630226
But where does the "not good for the pistol" meme come from? Can it actually damage your gun?
>>
>>32630188
>Is it really any different from pulling the slide to release the slide catch?
no

I'm guessing they are concerned about frictional wear on the slide stop? that's a stupid thing to be concerned about tho. it was designed to do that.

the actual argument is gross vs fine motor skills. grabbing the slide to release is a gross motor skill whereas activating the release lever is a fine motor skill. adrenaline and such
>>
>>32630188
>>32630211

It's not that different, much like dry firing pretty much does nothing to the spring and pin when it hits NOTHING while releasing the compression in the spring.
If firearm jams or slamfires during a """"Tactical"""" reload then obviously it's shit.
>>
>>32630226
>and won't be able to release the slide with the slide release

So let me get this straight.

You'll have enough fine motor control to: get your gun out, put it roughly on target, pull the trigger enough times until the magazine is empty, eject the magazine, find a spare, put it in the magazine well...

...but once you get to that slide release, you're suddenly a helpless baby who cannot handle their gun.

Okey-doke. Sounds like a rock-solid theory to me.
>>
>>32630233
Fuddlore.
>>
>>32630233
Its the theoretical wear on the slide where the catch connects, it then applies friction when you force it down rather than letting it fall down when pulling back the slide. Its a pile of bullshit made up by tacticool instructors to look competent, if manufacturers didnt want you to do it they wouldn't put a ridged bump for you to use. Ignore 90% of what instructors say, they were usually some infantryman over in the middle east for a couple years and they therefore claim that anything they say is the word of god on shooting. See: C-clamp, C.A.R stance, ect
>>
>>32630233

Yes faggot. Under normal circumstances In many weapons the round is stripped from the mag with the rim of the cartridge sliding harmlessly UNDER the extractor claw as it heads into battery. When a round is already in the chamber, you force the rim to make the claw "climb" over it as it heads into battery. Steel cases + weak parts have lead to many failures. Also, slam fire chances.
>>
>>32630265
Who said anything about a round already being in the chamber? I'm asking about chambering a round by thumbing down on the slide catch

What you're describing sounds like port loading, putting a round in the chamber by hand with the slide locked open and then releasing the slide on it
>>
>>32630188
Institutional inbreeding as Pat Mac would call it. Kind of like how people say the bullet rises as it leaves the muzzle, it shows a misunderstanding of the 'why' behind a statement.

You do (over time) damage a pistol's extractor if you drop the slide on a single round rather than feeding from the magazine. Dropping the slide on a loaded magazine is perfectly fine.

Your guy probably heard it from someone who heard it from someone who read it somewhere etc etc. it becomes distorted, becoming fuddlore bullshit with a nugget of truth.
>>
>>32630289

This, and fudd's love having any goddamned excuse whatsoever to tell people they're doing something wrong, so any "don't do dis" piece of trivia becomes the Holy Word.
>>
>>32630289
Right, I'm talking about
>chamber is empty with slide locked open
>insert loaded magazine
>release slide by pressing down on slide catch instead of pulling back on the slide and releasing it
Does this hurt anything?
>>
>>32630265
>>32630289
Speaking of institutional inbreeding here we have two fantastic examples of not reading the thread and not possessing reading comprehension
>>
>>32630265
Now OP mentioned that only when the magazine is empty for the reload.
IF you have to Revolver Ocelot* you don't have to use the slide release when there is already a round chambered, because the slide is not locked and already in battery** for the next round.

Notes:
*Love to reload during a battle.
**Ready to fire.
>>
>>32630313
no, go out there and follow your little heart's desires.
>>
>>32630313
did you miss the part where he said 'dropping the slide on a loaded mag is fine'?

Also, use your gun however the fuck you want. It's mostly metal, it'd take you doing something really fucking stupid to hurt it.
Mattv2099 cleans his glock in the goddamn dishwasher and it's fine, even after all the hell it's been through
>>
>>32630337
>dishwasher
kek
>>
>>32630314
what
>>32630289
>Dropping the slide on a loaded magazine is perfectly fine
>>
>>32630226
>lose all fine motor skills
>under high stress

Train more.
>>
>>32630233
No. It's metal parts hitting metal parts. If your metal parts aren't designed to hit metal parts it will be an issue otherwise it's instructors getting themselves off by yelling at you for shit your gun is designed to do.
>>
File: washing the tupperware.jpg (1MB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
washing the tupperware.jpg
1MB, 1333x1000px
>>32630337
>>
>>32630248
>If firearm jams or slamfires during a """"Tactical"""" reload then obviously it's shit.
Mate, you've clearly never seen the guns some people take to a CHL course. When half your class shows up with a Taurus PT111 that hasn't been cleaned since it was made, ND's are a legitimate cause for concern.
>>
>>32630188
I've been in this sport/hobby/whatever you want to call it my entire life and have never heard anyone make that claim.

I have heard that slamming the slide closed on an empty weapon is abuse, however - which is a sensible opinion, though many people disregard it. That's probably where you're getting this from.
>>
>>32630404
That is why I don't take a tactical course.
>>
>>32630386
That brings a smile to my face.
>>
>>32630386

There is a 92 in the back right.
>>
>>32630252
Those are gross motor skills.

Slapping your hand over the top of the slide, yanking and releasing is a much less fiddly motion than fingering the slide release.

But even if you want to dismiss that, the other reason is that by pulling the slide back and releasing, you're giving it more spring energy to strip a round off the magazine and go into battery - not that you need it under normal circumstances, but it could make a difference if your gun has a worn recoil spring or is exceptionally dirty.

>>32630313
No, but it's still bad form since there's literally no advantage to doing it that way over pulling the slide.
>>
>>32630188
Ruger Mark III's factory bolt stop seems to wear out from using it as a slide release, eventually leading to replacement. Or at least it is reported pretty commonly on RFC.

That's the only instance I've ever seen.
>>
File: great again.jpg (7KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
great again.jpg
7KB, 261x193px
>>32631140
If the user is coordinated enough to pull a trigger and thumb a mag release, they can do the same with the slide release regardless of the situation. Barring some ridiculous non-ergonomic mechanisms, using the slide release isn't some monumental feat of dexterity especially if the user has actually trained with the firearm beforehand.

There's a huge disconnect in logic by trying to claim that using the slide release requires fine motor skills, but something like the mag release (or the act of aiming/shooting the firearm itself) doesn't qualify.

>>32630188
The reason why Instructors push power stroking to rack the slide is because that's what works for just about every semi-auto pistol. Because students tend to bring many different styles of pistol to these classes, it just keeps the instruction simple and avoids having to specialize the lesson for each pistol. That's it. As for causing wear, it's utter fuddlore. There's some truth that it does cause wear after repeated use, but realistically, you'll never see enough wear that will affect the functionality of firearm.
>>
>>32630188
Am I the only one who has never dealt with an RSO? I wouldn't suffer some faggot telling me what to do. I guess I'm just a bumpkin, but I don't know of one range with babysitters.
>>
>>32630433
This tripfag is the only one in this whole thread with a clue. Pathetic.
The rest of you should hang yourselves.
>>
>>32631295
Dexterity is irrelevant when your circulatory system is loaded up on adrenaline.
>>
>>32630188
>don't do what the gun was designed to do
Yeah I think they mean don't drop a round in the chamber and then release the slide. Pulling back on the slide and pushing it close can lead to not going fully into battery. Your slide release will experience normal wear and after 10k rounds you may need to replace the $2 latch. This is standard maintenance for any mechanical object.
>>
>>32630211
>get off on yelling at people
This. Just compliment their 1911 and go about your business and you won't have to face their wrath.
>>
Dunno about you guys but I heard it can damage the sear if you do it dry.
>>
I was told this too.

He told me that it simply will ware out the mechanism faster.
>>
>Not just slamming the mag in hard enough the slide stop drops away on its own
>>
If your pistol is well lubricated you won't have to worry about significant wear from chambering a round with the slide catch for a good 50k rounds (depending on pistol quality, of course)
>>
>>32630386
The most pressing issue in my mind: Why would somebody buy so many glocks?
I understand some of the models are a little bit bigger or smaller than the other, but once you have one ugly rectangle that shoots bullets, don't you essentially have them all?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.