[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

first off I know nothing of firearms so the way I am going to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

first off I know nothing of firearms so the way I am going to explain this is going to be retarded. I am sorry.

I was thinking could it be possible to use the pistol grip on a bolt action rifle to chamber another round instead of the actual bolt? Same action, but with the pistol grip being the bolt instead.

I know it's probably very impractical, but it might be unique if nobody else has done it yet. I did minimal research into it so somebody may have done it already. Not sure though.
>>
Its definetly a interesting idea

I can see where youre coming from
>>
>>32629911
Thanks, I think the only drawback from this would be having to swing your arm back further to chamber another round as opposed to the normal bolt action, however you could keep your grip. So maybe faster follow up shots??
>>
>>32629894

Try looking at lever action weapons OP, is that something like you want?
>>
Bump
Ms paint it
>>
So a lever action? But with a plan pistol grip?

Or do mean the pistol grip has an internal magazine?

Lead me in the right direction.
>>
>>32629944
it sounds like you are trying to reinvent the lever action. by limiting the range of motion to swinging a pistol-grip, you are reducing your mechanical advantage. you have what, maybe 30 degrees of movement, to have the bolt unlock, and cycle a rifle length cartridge?
>>
File: 100% unobtanium unicorn.jpg (79KB, 1600x631px) Image search: [Google]
100% unobtanium unicorn.jpg
79KB, 1600x631px
>>32629894

the colt cmg's pistol grip serves as the charging handle, im sure you could make a straight pull bolt gun where you just rack the pistol grip back and it loads a new round, but at that point you have essentially a pump action rifle
>>
>>32629973
Pistol grip controls the bolt action. Instead of reaching to the bolt you can keep your hand on the grip and slide the entire grip up and back to chamber another round. Basically the grip becomes the bolt action.
>>
>>32629976
Not a lever action. It's the same motion as a bolt, but instead you swing the pistol grip perpendicular from the rifle and pull back and then forward and back to its original position. Just imagine the bolt action being controlled from the pistol grip.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXvmGtLYwKA
>>
>>32629980
That's exactly what I'm thinking of. Thanks!
>>
>>32629971
I would, but on mobile unfortunately
>>
So it's like a pump action but the grip is where you are cycling the action? Seems like a neat idea
>>
>>32630178
No problem, I see it better now
>>
File: xMUyv.jpg (94KB, 790x579px) Image search: [Google]
xMUyv.jpg
94KB, 790x579px
>>32629894
there is NOTHING new under the sun in gun design opea
>>
>>32630179
Bingo. Except it doesn't just slide back and forth. You would still have to turn the grip exactly like a regular bolt action
>>
it would be similar a lever action but a straight pull bolt thats being cycled with the pistol grip. either its all one piece and you pull the grip and bolt back or you rock it forward and its literally a lever action. definitely doable but stupid for a lot of reasons. would destablize your pistol grip and be awkward to do in typical bolt action rifle applications.

as a charging handle though it could be a cool idea. gun jams and your hands never leave the firing positions. or one handed charging almost like a terminator 1887 flick.
>>
File: buechsen_sommer_ockenfuss_30-06.jpg (91KB, 628x273px) Image search: [Google]
buechsen_sommer_ockenfuss_30-06.jpg
91KB, 628x273px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOrVd1gwRvc

It's been done. Saw one for sale, felt pretty slick and some of the better firepower available in this shithole.
>>
I am wondering why most "marksman rifles" or "sniper rifles", are mostly bolt action?

Isn't it just as easy to have them be semi? Is bolt action lighter or cheaper to produce or something? Is bolt action more reliable with high powered cartridges?
>>
Its kinda pump action-ie, but the twist portion of it kinda seem like you loosing the advantages of the off hand racking the pump keeping you trigger hand in the right spot.
Its innovative ill give you that, have you seen that austrialian rifle add with the trigger hand cocking the second round?
(I looked i cant find it sorry)
>>
>>32630240
Yes. It's not practical, but it would catch eyes. The only problem I could think of is as you mentioned, the destabilized pistol grip. I was thinking something along the lines of only when the chamber is empty would the grip be able to move from its original position. Haven't quite worked that out as I have very limited knowledge about weapons
>>
>>32630261
It most likely has something to do with the idea of reducing forces.
A minute movement in the action might dramatically affect the result at distance.
This could be gas traveling up/down thegas tube, or the bolt flying back, or the various parts ofthe trigger engaging.

Basically the less moving parts you have,the less trouble you have. Bolt actions have no moving partswhen thecharge detonates.
>>
>>32630245
That would basically be it, but again with a two part action as I mentioned earlier. Except i feel like there could be something better than having a button on the back of the grip to keep it in place.
>>
>>32630302
Also you can quietly load directly into the chamber if you feel like it or if you need to chamber a specialty round.
>>
>>32630107
That's actually a pretty clever idea, I'm suprised no one has done that yet. I don't see any reasons why it shouldn't work... but then again I'm not very smart
>>
File: 1466705678342.jpg (74KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
1466705678342.jpg
74KB, 736x736px
>>32629894
>>
>>32630509
>That's actually a pretty clever idea

>I'm suprised no one has done that yet.
>>32630528
>>32630245
>>32630228
>>32629980

>... but then again I'm not very smart
you don't say
>>
File: Artist Sketch of the Suspect.jpg (113KB, 1957x1081px) Image search: [Google]
Artist Sketch of the Suspect.jpg
113KB, 1957x1081px
>>32629894
This is what i understood when you described that.
Straight-pull bolt-action, where the pistol grip acts as an over-sized bolt handle.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170113-195929.png (283KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170113-195929.png
283KB, 1440x2560px
Okay this is on mobile in a bumpy ass car but what I interpret open as saying is the grip swings up and out to the right side of the firearm which you then pull back to extract the empty casing.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.