[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the real-life combat application of hand grenades? Are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: 250px-M67.jpg (25KB, 250x317px) Image search: [Google]
250px-M67.jpg
25KB, 250x317px
What is the real-life combat application of hand grenades?
Are they only ever used for clearing rooms?
In what context are they used in combat?
>>
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>>
>Throw at person or people
>Asplodes
>They die (?)
>>
For when you need a small explosion within throwing distance
>>
>>32626558
Are you close enough to throw a grenade? Do it.

You wanna fuck up somewhere before you go in? Do it.

You wanna fuck up dudes around a corner? Toss a nade.

Assaulting a covered position? Haha, time for grenade!
>>
>>32626558
You must exploit HE. Violence of action following HE is imperative
>>
You throw the grenade with out arming it so they run and then you shoot them in the back
>>
Clearing entrenched positions such as bunkers, trenches, buildings or any sort of general piece of ground which requires running towards men with guns, or breaking through point ambushes.
>>
>>32626586
but you never get within tossing range in a real firefight, do you?
artillery or even mortars are better suited for this, right?
>>
>>32626661
You're dumb.
>>
>>32626661
Yes. Grenades are great for making your enemy scatter and then have to regroup. So that earns you some time. Grenades are good for retaliation from an ambush and for setting one. If your ambushed it gives you something to give your oppenate a shock giving you and your guys time for cover, and if your ambushing it gives you a chance to grab a few dudes before they have adequate cover. Mortars have a danger close range of 50 yards i think. Thats no too bad but a mortar is a big ass fucking round, HUGE concussion blast with some really fucking awful shrapnel. I dont want some fucking asshole in a dick pit to frag me because his hand slipped while he was jerking it to a box of white willy rounds. Also arty is 1. Expensive 2. Earth shattering and dangrous. Arty by its very nature is shot on blind faith and trust by the asshat that called it in. So yeah the m67 is great to fix any assholez close enough to yell insults at you.
>>
>>32626661
Sir, danger close for artillery is anything closer than 500m of a friendly position. That's a cunt hair over 200 meters.
>>
File: 1450664305012.gif (2MB, 400x253px) Image search: [Google]
1450664305012.gif
2MB, 400x253px
>>32626558
>>
>>32626661
In a point ambush, which would be a common tactic used by insurgents, especially in Iraq, you would be in range. It's suicide to get bogged down, so you have to overwhelm the enemy through as much firepower as possible. This tends to mean going cyclic on machine guns and using all your grenades.
>>
>>32626558
They're short ranged, but have a parabolic trajectory, so they can be used to take out enemies hiding behind cover (of course this will be difficult to pull off if the cover makes it easy for them to shoot without exposing themselves).

Much more effective at wrecking un-hardened structures than handguns are.

Also can potentially do some damage to lighter armored vehicles when you have nothing better available.

>>32626661
Even mortars are too heavy and bulky to rapidly advance with. You're not going to be charging enemy trenches lugging a mortar and firing on the move. As such, they and artillery is used either for defensive bombardment (i.e. filling the land in front of your position with explosions that the enemy must charge through) or in pre-planned bombardments of enemy positions. Grenades are used for storming the enemy lines, and can be tossed inside enclosed spaces that artillery can't hit.
>>
>>32626558
they're cool fuck off
>>
>>32626558
Defensive grenades: lots of fragments; used to hinder mobility over open ground (?) large kill radius

Offensive grenades: less fragmentation, used to clear rooms ect

I dont really know what defensive grenades are used for, maybe someone could tell me
>>
>>32629716
Trick question: what type M67 grenade is?
>>
>>32626558
Throwing in trenches
>>
>>32626558
HE hand grenades are generally used for two purposes. Offense and defence.

Offensive grenades are used for attacking enemy positions, eg, trenches, buildings, cover. They generally have soft casings use ball bearings instead of hard case frag. They have a smaller kill radius and can be thrown far enough to ensure the safety of the thrower. Eg the m67 as pictured.

Defensive grenades are usually used from defensive positions on attacking troops, they generally have hard cased shells with frag cast into the body. The kill radius is much larger because of this and should always be thrown from cover. Eg, MkII "Pineapple" grenade.
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 600x338px
I've seen in pictures and movies soldiers wearing grenades on their vest/chest rig. Was there ever a documented case of a soldier getting blown up because a bullet hit the grenade? Would that even cause it to detonate?
>>
>>32631526
It's possible, especially if you hit the blasting cap.
>>
File: 1478651865965.jpg (216KB, 819x912px) Image search: [Google]
1478651865965.jpg
216KB, 819x912px
>>32626558
>What is the real-life combat application of hand grenades?
Removing the pins, and then placing grenades underneath fallen enemies. Enemy medics and retrieval teams get a nasty surprise when they flip the bodies over.
>>
File: 1482977417965.jpg (198KB, 1280x1150px) Image search: [Google]
1482977417965.jpg
198KB, 1280x1150px
>>32631571
yeah having to sprint away from a timed explosion?

replace with a different "blasting cap" with no timer first
>>
>>32631604
The fly off lever has to come off first mate
>>
>>32631604
>Average human reaction time to visual stimuli 0.25 seconds
>Add time to recognize the stimuli as a grenade (if lucky enough to see it moment fly lever moves)
>cue frantic scramble with 1-2 seconds before detonation (if lucky)

Even less of a chance if using some of the Vietnam Tactics such as LAW tubes with 3 frag grenades swinging down onto the trail via tripline.

Though in response to OP's question, they are great at negating the capability of Cover and concealment by either killing those behind it, or forcing them to leave it. Vice Versa as others have mentioned, they can be used defensibly as area denial weapons.
>>
>>32626633
i knew a guy who carried a green-painted rock in Iraq precisely for that reason.

>throw dummy nade when urban operating near Basra or whatever
>bad guys run away
>now have no cover
>get lit up
>>
>>32626558
>guy runs into building with AK
>sporadically fires from windows or doorways by sticking gun out
>no one wants to breach
>oh hey, we have all these explody balls
>they pull the safety ring on explody balls and chuck them inside the windows and doorways until they run out or the building falls apart
>>
>>32631694
that's a great idea
>>
Killing hostages :^)
>>
File: giphy(3).gif (829KB, 500x203px) Image search: [Google]
giphy(3).gif
829KB, 500x203px
>>32626601
>>Haha, time for grenade!
>>
>>32631738
he said he only did it when they were near civilians, but he did it quite a bit, cuz lel no one needs permission to throw a green rock
>>
>>32631694
>reusable Grenade Simulator
>Coming soon to a supply depot near you!
>>
>>32631796
>no one needs permission to throw a green rock
I think this might be a bigger deal than people realize
>>
>>32631616
That's the idea. The corpse holds the safety lever on so when somebody moves the corpse they suddenly have a live grenade on their hand.
>>
>>32631526
Yeah there are pictures of landing craft on fire during WW2 because an Occupants grenade got hit
>>
>>32629716
I don't think it's a rule really but I think defensive grenades have a blast radius large than the throwing distance, with fragments etc. Whereas offensive grenades are supposed to be a little more compact, so you can use it out of cover and not get a fragment in your eye.
>>
>>32626558
BTW it's a ball of explosion that fits in your hand and can be thrown. No launcher required, just the item itself. Causing a big explosion and a shitstorm of metal frag is pretty good efficacy for a small ball of metal and chemicals.
>>
>>32626661
That's danger close son.
>>
How could you not understand the versatility of a little exploding death ball in a combat situation?
>>
>>32632076
Since when does he care about danger close?
>>
>>32626558
Grenades can be used both offensively and defensively. Defensive grenades are usually larger and heavier and have a larger lethal radius. Offensive grenades are smaller and can be thrown farther but usually have a smaller lethal radius. They are great for when you have an enemy that you don't have direct line of sight with, but you know is pretty close.

Grenades are also extremely flexible these days as you can use them for booby traps, or even fishing.
>>
>In what context are they used in combat?

You don't search engine very well, do you?
>>
>>32626558
you can toss one at your feet and if you time your jump right you can go pretty high and onto roofs and over fences and stuff you couldnt otherwise access. like the same principal as rocket jumping except much more weight efficient than carrying heavy and bulky rockets and launcher
>>
>>32626558
you throw it at someone and it might kill them

are you literally 10?
>>
>>32631489
Also defensive grenades have a longer fuse time iirc
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.