[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dad dry fired a bow i just bought. I brought it home and he

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 0ba.jpg (8KB, 500x441px) Image search: [Google]
0ba.jpg
8KB, 500x441px
My dad dry fired a bow i just bought. I brought it home and he wanted to see it, first thing he does is pull the string back and let it go.

I have no experience with archery or such. This was supposed to be the entry into that.
The guy i bought it from said dry firing it would cause it to shatter so What is the danger of this thing shattering now?
>>
>>32620218
>dry firing it would cause it to shatter

How? It's doing the same thing regardless of the presence of an arrow.
>>
>>32620296
Assuming OP isn't bullshitting, maybe it's such a finely tuned compound bow that the material requirements are factoring in the transfer of energy into the arrow?

But seriously, that sounds like total bullshit.
>>
>>32620296
No. When you fire an arrow, all of the force is transferred to that arrow propelling it forward. If you loose the string with no projectile that force has nowhere to go and transfers to the limbs instead. It can severely fuck up the bow, once probably won't hurt it but depending on the poundage of the draw you do not want it to happen again.
>>
>>32620296
>>32620312
dryfiring a bow makes it vibrate/wobble differently than when it has an arrow on it

It won't break it on the first, second, or even tenth time, but it's not meant to be dryfired
It CAN and WILL eventually break it
>>
>>32620319
Correct
>>
File: png.png (140KB, 384x324px) Image search: [Google]
png.png
140KB, 384x324px
>>32620319

OP HERE
this is what he told me

I dunnow if anybody on this board remembers physical science 1, But When you release the string on the bow all the energy is released into the arrow or in the case of dry firing the limbs and causes vibrations pretty rough (is what i read)

Im just wondering if that would be enough to compromise the integrity of the limbs/string

I dont wanna die guys
>>
>>32620380
You wont die, youll just fuck up your bow, which isnt good for your wallet.
>>
>>32620380
sell the bow and buy a bubble to live in you fucking pansy
>>
>>32620218

Hey, find an archery shop, take your bow in, tell them it got dry-fired and get it checked over. Don't shoot it until you do.

You can check for limb splintering yourself as well. Rub some cotton wool up and down the limbs and see if it catches anywhere.

Likelihood of explosion depends on draw weight and bow design. If low poundage and slow/really old design (i.e. D-shaped profile, little round-wheel cams, IBO well under 300 fps), it's more likely to be able to stand up to a dry fire without too much trouble. If this thing is a modern bow with parallel/past-parallel limbs, is reasonably quick etc, it's a much dicier proposition.

Don't chance it either way.

Same stuff applies if it's a trad bow too.
>>
>>32620218

Sounds like dry firing a lower with no upper on, and not catching the hammer. And even more so, with the full force of the bow.

Force is going somewhere, but one time you will probably be ok.

Maybe tell your dad stop fucking shit up unless he wants to have prosthetic fingers/hands and shit.
>>
>>32620535

This, have your bow checked over.

I've heard stories of people getting their jugulars slit by an exploding bow and bleeding out, it's scary shit
>>
>>32620425
Let me have your revolver so I can whip the cylinder shut like inna movies you invalid.
>>
>>32620296
>>32620312

Shit bait.

nobody is actually this retarded, right?
>>
File: hard_nuttz.png (249KB, 251x423px) Image search: [Google]
hard_nuttz.png
249KB, 251x423px
>>32620218
Kill your father
>>
I do archery and have done for years, limbs are dry fired in the testing stage so I wouldn't worry too much but still check it for cracks
>>
>>32620535
Thirding this as a national level archer. Don't dry fire your bow, the energy that would be transferred to the arrow goes nowhere and can cause fractures, leading to catastrophic bow failure (usually the limbs). You don't want to be anywhere near the bow when that happens.

Not to scare you off archery though, the chances of it having caused damage are small, and will correspond to your draw weight. Get it checked
>>
>>32620218
>>32620535
They take a little bit of beating every time you dryfire, and everytime it makes the bow a bit weaker.
One time won't probably kill your bow, but don't make a habit of it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.