[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a SKS or a Mosin Nagant be a better purchase for a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

File: sksVnugget.jpg (373KB, 1500x460px) Image search: [Google]
sksVnugget.jpg
373KB, 1500x460px
Would a SKS or a Mosin Nagant be a better purchase for a first time rifle owner?
>>
>>32615934
sks in my opinion so you can learn the basic fundamentals of how semi auto works
>>
SKS

mostly becuase of ammo price and availability nowadays.
>>
Both would be good for learning the basics of marksmanship with.
>>
>>32615934
between the two sks, nuggets really aren't worth their current price tags unless you're a collector.
>>
>>32615934
A .22 is the best rifle for new owner because you won't have to sell your car to pay for ammo to keep shooting
>>
>>32615934

SKS

Mostly because of ammo it's cheaper, more readily available, and nicer to shoot. There's also not so much risk involved in getting an absolute mule of a rifle.

I love my 91/30 though.

>>32615968

neither will teach you marksmanship, both will teach you how to hit a metal gong at 100 yards just fine though.

both are suitable starters because it's hard to fuck em up, and will always go "bang" no matter how much ignorant abuse it gets.
>>
es kay es
>>
>>32615934
Neither. Get a AR.
>>
Sks is babies first rifle for a good reason. It's simple as fuck, cheap as fuck, and disassembly is short and quick.
>>
>>32616147
I'm Canadian, those aren't exactly viable.
>>
>>32615934
Unless an AK is unavailable/restricted in your area there isnt a reason to want an sks over one beside aesthetics. If you can id recommend an AK over the other 2 then the sks then finally the mosin. Dont get me wrong...my 1898 m91 is my favorite rifle but as a new shooter (not collector) the mosin is a terrible 1st gun but a fun gun once you have some experience around your belt.
>>
>>32615934
i own both and i just adore both. but between the two get a sks just for the fact it's more fun
>>
>>32616276
I actually do have experience with rifles, firing up to 30-06 and 7mm magnum, but I've never owned one, and an actual AK (or similar variant) isn't something I can own.
>>
>>32616209
Then a vz58
>>
>>32615934
Between the two, SKS. You will tire of the nugget very quickly. A good SKS does not lose its novelty.
>>
>>32616296
sks now, mosin later. The sks has more options when it comes to modification incluing optics plus x39 is cheaper so you'll end up shooting more/enjoying the hobby more.
>>
Mosin meme is dead since ammo is over 45 cents a round now, get a SKS.
>>
>>32616303
1400 later only to find out the one you bought just turned prohibited
>>
File: sks.jpg (82KB, 689x513px) Image search: [Google]
sks.jpg
82KB, 689x513px
>>32615934
>>
File: mcsati.jpg (6KB, 330x153px) Image search: [Google]
mcsati.jpg
6KB, 330x153px
question for sksfags.

i have an sks, and the wood stock is kinda fucked up. i wanna replace it with one of these, but i also would like to retain the bayonet and cleaning rod. does anyone have one of these and can let me know if it has the cutouts? if not, would it be easy to make the cutouts myself?
>>
>>32615934
Neither, save and into AK. Then when you've got $400 to piss away add a SKS to your collection.
>>
>>32616048
>being that poor
>>
>>32615934
Since you are a leaf an sks will do fine especially with all that cheap surplus ammo floating around
Just mqke sure it clean up real good after shooting.
>>
>>32615934
As someone who bought a Mosin I always find myself lusting for an SKS, but they're dated systems in a market where better, more accurate weapons exist. The only things going for either is that their munitions are relatively cheap, the rifles are extremely rugged, not to mention idiot proof. At this point with the growing shortage of both they're simply becoming a collector's novelty.

Though as a first time rifle owner it's better to start small (like a Ruger 10/22) and work their way up. A lot of novice gun enthusiasts make a common mistake of getting something too large and expensive when in the beginning they just need something simple that goes bang.
>>
>>32616746
i cant answer your question but id just replace it with another wood stock.
>>
>>32616878
i want too. but a synthetic one is strongly preferred for the project im going.
>>
File: IMG_1631.gif (1MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1631.gif
1MB, 300x300px
>>32616147
I hate you
>>
>>32615934
Both are good guns. But like others have said, a Ruger 10/22 or any .22 caliber rifle for that matter would be more economical.
>>
>>32616940
see>>32616296
A .22 isn't exactly up my alley with my experience with them.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32615980

This.

I've seen AR's cheaper than SKS's nowadays. If you can find an SKS for $250 and below, go for it.

But I've seen most for $499 anymore. Mosins run $250-300 which is an utter ripoff for a $100 gun.

I don't own any AR's, nor am I a big AR person (I'm an AK guy) -- but you cannot beat the price they are now. They will eventually climb back up once the market becomes desaturated with them.
My vote is either a Ruger 10/22 or a very basic AR-15.
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 1136x640px
>>32617121

Though, my entire AK setup (M92 PAP) ran me $550. Ammo is fucking cheap too.
>>
>>32616746

Uh oh.

You're about to get a lot of hate inbound and prepare to be called Bubba.
Personally, I wouldn't. Either get another wooden stock or sand/repair/refinish yours. I have repaired some pretty horrible AK furniture along with several Mosin stocks.

Got some pics? I can give you some pointers if you'd like. I've never come across a dent I couldn't fix or a piece of wood I couldn't repair.
>>
>>32616746
yea they have cut outs. people take the bayo of because it's not tactacool
>>
>>32617187
the pictures i can take are gunna be shit quality. the front facing cam on my phone is fucked. ill try. give me a few mins.
>>
Secondary question

I have a yugo sks and have always dreamed of taking it to a golf course

Does anyone know where I can get one of those bloom golf ball launchers for the thing
>>
>>32616411
>A good SKS
you had me there for a second
>>
File: image.jpg (137KB, 640x678px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 640x678px
>>32617187
Here's one. The lip the disconnect is pointing to is kinda worn, and thus the barreled action has some up and down wiggle inside the stock
>>
>>32617339

Different anon than the stock guy here. I'm Interested in his response, actually.

Bubba tier repair would be attaching wood strips until it fits snugly. Doing it 'right', I suppose you could cut out the damaged area and epoxy in a new piece of wood, and then shape to fit; but it's a few steps beyond shadetree garage level, if you have little / no woodworking experience.

If you ever plan to sell the thing, you're not getting anywhere near what you paid into it back. There's a somewhat justified mistrust of bubba'd guns among milsurp shooters / collectors.
>>
File: 1447266928546.jpg (50KB, 640x274px) Image search: [Google]
1447266928546.jpg
50KB, 640x274px
Get a Sosin K Sagant
Its sort of a blend of the two...Very rare! More accurate then the other two
>>
>>32619687
why is gun wearing a flannel
>>
SKS

So that you learn how semi auto works, relatively cheap plinking ammo, and have a viable semi-auto long gun for general use outside of fudd hunting or long range shooting.

Just remember really get in there and clean out the bolt and firing pin/channel and keeping it free of gunk so you dont slamfire.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.