[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I play a sword fighting sport called Dagorhir. We make real

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 12

File: 1398636822977.jpg (85KB, 905x851px) Image search: [Google]
1398636822977.jpg
85KB, 905x851px
So I play a sword fighting sport called Dagorhir.
We make real armor but fight with foam swords.

Even our lightest chainmail slows down our largest fighters significantly.
Plate even more so.

Not counting general military tactics (Romans vs Gaul situation)
Was armor really so powerful?

I feel from my experience it may be overrated. Is there any historical info about unarmored fighters beating armored?
>>
>>32614181
Post pics so we can mock you effectively, please.
>>
>>32614211

Just Google Dagorhir.
>>
>>32614229
No, I want to see the armor that is slowing down your guys.

Also, sure you'll feel faster and less burdened with no armor, but I'm guessing you don't practice religiously in it and suspect it's inferior to the real thing.

Also, the Romans got their asses kicked by a numerically inferior bunch of light mounted archers in the Battle of Carrhae.
>>
>>32614211

Also why is Dag considered "gay" when Airsoft and paintball is considered a valid sport?
>>
File: XVIII_zagref_845_Fianna.jpg (68KB, 1000x567px) Image search: [Google]
XVIII_zagref_845_Fianna.jpg
68KB, 1000x567px
>>32614278
No idea mate
>>
>>32614278
Paintball, although full of whiny douches, is considered a valid sport because it doesn't pretend to be anything but paintball. Airsoft is like Dagorhir in that it is full of wannabe operators who really think they are basically simulating the real thing. Gay as fuck.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (161KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
161KB, 1280x720px
>>32614181
>We make real armor
No
>>
>>32614302
BAHAHAHAH

You just know they all have self-appointed titles after their made up tolkienesque first names. Malfor the Dragon Diddler, Baldur the Cockmongler. Galfindor of the Lacerated Rectum.
>>
Can't remember the name of the battle but I do remember from ancient history in highschool there was a particular battle between the French and English where the field was completely soaked and boggy and the heavily armoured french got the fucking shit kicked out of them by the English wearing not much more than their clothing. I think half of the French just drowned in the mud as their armour was too heavy.

Silly fucks, should have just walked away
>>
>>32614320
Compare this to the Russian soccer mob fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rhgdLCAX6g
>>
>>32614338
>dragon diddler
>cockmongler
>of the lacerated rectum
top kek
>>
>>32614343
Agincourt.
>>
>>32614181

A full suit of plate armor weighs around between 30-60lbs. How fat are you? Legitimate question. Modern soldiers carry that much and more.

>I feel from my experience it may be overrated.
That is because when you hit someone, they still "die". Right? I'm not familiar with your larp but I'm assuming that's how it works.

In real life, you hit someone in plate armor your sword bounces off if you're lucky. Unlucky and it just shatters right there. You are not getting a sword through plate armor. If you ask nicely and the guy stands completely still, you can drive the point through armor. But that is not realistic, as the person is not going to let you, nor are they going to ignore the perfect opportunity to shove their sword into your visor. Any movement on their part and your sword slides right off and you wind up dead.

Also you know, arrows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej3qjUzUzQg
There's a 130lb longbow vs a breastplate. Arrow bounces right off, from a couple feet away. In real combat it'd be even less effective considering you'd be at range. Without armor, that's a sucking chest wound on a medieval battlefield. Assuming you don't bleed out you get to look forward to dying of infection a few days later, probably better off if someone just has mercy on you and puts you down.

Similar situation with even earlier chainmail. The arrows would pierce the armor but get stuck in the padding underneath, leading to no real damage.

>>32614278
where the fuck do you think you are?
>>
>>32614181
>I play a sword fighting sport
No.
>>
>>32614393
>Unlucky and it just shatters right there

That's an awfully poorly made sword if it shatters.
>>
>>32614373
Oh yeah cheers man, I think it was my last assignment and I did it all 3 hours before it was due. Australian education system is good shit
>>
File: 2958.jpg (208KB, 600x447px) Image search: [Google]
2958.jpg
208KB, 600x447px
>>32614411
Lots of swords where awfully poor made, in fact the majority was over time. Good steel and proper heat treatment was not known for a long time in history.

Also here are some mythbusters on plate armor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCvOC2VwDc
courtesy from the HEMA folks
>>
>>32614411

Quality control with even modern steels means catastrophic failures still happen. It happened a fuckload back then.

Further the ridges in a lot of later plate armor were designed specifically to destroy swords that slashed against them.
>>
>>32614181
>Dagorhir
Do you mean LARPing? I just looked your shit up. It looks like a giant larping event. Like so giant there is an even just for this this coming thursday friday.

Half-swording is your best bet. Heres a little docu style clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi757-7XD94&t=4s

Also look up treatise of Paulus Hector Mair

or

The Flower of Battle of Master Fiore Friulano de’i Liberi

Im sure there shit in there. Idk how much of your larping group roleplays hits and shit so that might be your problem. Practice the treatise, cross reference them to youtube. Im sure you'll be alright.

Also, dont forget to cast lightning bolt.
>>
>foam
>Mild steel sheet metal and wire
You don't use real armor. You use a poorly made ans fitted representative

Of course its overrated for your larpinf. It only has to block foam that you probably swing wildly with no real techniques
>>
>>32614181
Dagorhir is the shit, my friends and I used to make weapons and fight in the woods every weekend all through high school

It was funny, some of them were super pretty popular jock guys but when the weekend came it was Dagorhir time and we used to all wail on each other. Building weapons and then beating the shit out of each other as much as foam covered PVC pipes would let us) with said weapons was so much fun.
>>
>>32614491
>Paulus Hector Mair
Why PHM, he was neither good nor genuine, just pretty artwork.
>>
Sounds like you have poorly fitted armor
>>
When OP finally climbs out of Mum's basement

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=Lipr8m1DkJ8
>>
>>32614181
>Was armor really so powerful?
>no armor hit by the sword. die
>armor hit by the sword. laugh and kill your naked opponent in return

>I feel from my experience it may be overrated
Try a duel. One opponent with armor. You don't count hits against armored parts. Another opponent "without armor" you do count hits anywhere. Do several test runs.
>>
>>32614522
The artwork really I wanted to give him something with some quick pretty pictures.

I personally dont do much half swording. Most of my sword work is from the Ringeck treatise.
>>
>>32614450
>>32614463

Breaking/slashing, yeah. Shattering... maybe not so much.
>>
>>32614181

>>32614491
>>32614522
Also I forgot. There's also this if you ever get tired of foam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhF1i23vwps
>>
File: 145834614416745.jpg (334KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
145834614416745.jpg
334KB, 1920x1200px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juIw20z5p0c
>>
>>32614181
>>>/cgl/
>Is there any historical info about unarmored fighters beating armored

if you count a gambeson as unarmored
>>
>>32614278
>Airsoft and paintball is considered a valid sport?

They are?
>>
>>32614181
>Is there any historical info about unarmored fighters beating armored?

They would need to be significantly skilled fighters individually and as a unit. It's not unlikely this would have occurred somewhere in history.

>>32614617

This is a very good video.
>>
>>32614338
I enjoyed this post.
>>
>>32614710
Yes, they are sports. It's pretty hard to dispute that.

What they are NOT however, are elite tactical simulation/training tools that are totally used by the Delta Beret SEALs that would totally be applicable in real combat.
>>
File: Winkelried.jpg (228KB, 1064x744px) Image search: [Google]
Winkelried.jpg
228KB, 1064x744px
>>32614181
>. Is there any historical info about unarmored fighters beating armored?
The early battles of the Swiss against the Habsburg contain numerous tales of lightly armored men beating the shit out of knights.
>>
>>32614181
>foam swords
yea I found your problem
>>
>>32614181
"Are steel chains really that effective against foam?"
>>
>>32614898
latex prop weapons do in fact hurt and also leave you swore as fuck the next day

Larp is fun as fuck unless its in America due to the retarded weapons and bans but at least you can do/join some HEMA group
>>
File: SUI_SwissArmySoldiers963.jpg (431KB, 1276x847px) Image search: [Google]
SUI_SwissArmySoldiers963.jpg
431KB, 1276x847px
>>32614896
FUCK YEAH SWITZERLAND
https://youtu.be/ZLXTJ4RzhDs?t=1208
>>
>>32614992
Ah shit watch 20:02 of the video.
>>
>>32614992
Damn they march and look like a bunch of drunken retards
>>
>>32614992
is... is this some kind of joke?
>>
File: IMG_7617.jpg (53KB, 550x356px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7617.jpg
53KB, 550x356px
>>32614278
Practical application. If Bob plays paintball and Tim plays airsoft, both of them would be more experienced at guerrilla-style "hide in the bushes with pappy's AR/AK and ambush somebody when they wander by" tactics.

Steve and Larry on the other hand, who only play Dag and LARP and each have 3 max-level WoW characters, are more likely to be the guys who wander past the bush and get shot in the back 20 times.
>>
>>32615045
>drunken
Corpus Cristi procession, sure they are drunk
>retards
Appenzell, they look and talk like retards, but are kinda clever
>>
>>32614181
If you guys used foam wrapped heavy pipe or rebar or something that might be cool. I just mean something weighted but still soft, would be a badass and effective work out. Light foam swords in dress up though... c'mon dude.
>>
>>32615113
Real swords are not that heavy. Most swords in the 3 foot long range weighed less than 2.5 lbs. Many 5 foot long swords were under 4 lbs.
>>
File: 1479260563056-tg.jpg (213KB, 778x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1479260563056-tg.jpg
213KB, 778x1000px
I like what dag tries to do but the community is almost as cringey and shitty as Dystopia Rising.

The rules for weapons are retarded, so are the rules for """"armor""""

My buddy went regularly and took a break but still did some other LARP stuff, and before he came back had managed to get together some pretty impressive garb, made a landsknecht costume. Told him he had to ditch some of the clothing and armor to avoid making other poorer/less skilled players feel bad.
>>
>>32614181
Can you really not figure out why a small amount of armour would have a significant effect on people like this? >>32614302 >>32614320
>>
>>32614896

>the amount of attention put into that one dudes ass
>>
>>32614401
Good thing the fire truck is there, because that group is on fire.
>>
>>32614181
>So I play a sword fighting sport
Let us stop you right there. Unless it's fencing or kendo it is not a sport, and calling each of those a sport is almost an insult to the people who practice those arts.
>>
>>32615407
Learn definition of sport.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport
>>
>>32615407
>Kendo
>Anything but yelling and flailing and then being judged on "style"
>>
>>32614181
Just do HEMA ya pansy fuck. At least then people cant talk shit about you being pussies afraid of actually getting hit. And yes armor really was that useful, and not that bad.
>>
>>32615263
>>
>>32614338
you'll have better luck with my shit name generator
http://thrak.to/name-generator
>>
>>32615164
4 pounds held out at sword length =/= a 4 pound dumbbell.
>>
File: fiore.webm (2MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
fiore.webm
2MB, 720x405px
>>32614181
>So I play a sword fighting sport called Dagorhir.

Ah. well, there's the problem.

>I feel from my experience it may be overrated. Is there any historical info about unarmored fighters beating armored?

No.

Because, unlike the toy dickswords that you bounce off people's heads because they're made of 100g of foam and kitespar, real weapons are rather different. Quite aside from the fact that weight is different, you see, steel cuts. in fact, it cuts very well, slicing through muscles, severing nerves, and generally, fucking shit up, badly. they also stab very well, puncturing lungs, intestines, or similar wounds that tend to cause rather unpleasant side-effects.

And that tends to make the person incapacitated. in a spurty, gurgling way that tends to stop being a threat very rapidly.

Meanwhile, the same thrusts to plate go skittering off harmlessly. the same cuts to mail scrape off, and even the most powerful blows tend to cause little or no harm.

the guy in armour is protected from harm. the guy without armour is slightly faster, but when he's vulnerable to being skewered by a volley of arrows, or one single cut being life threatening which would slide right off the guy in plate, he's rapidly going to end up dead.

and that is why every culture on the planet that could use armour... has.
>>
>>32614181
You're right it's completely overrated. The real reason people paid for thousands of years for their armies to lug it around was to look cool. It's super cool that you gleaned this knowledge from a couple sessions of bashing your friends with foam bats
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.