[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are "cavalry" and "armor" still separate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 0b53953eaa3b8ba082f060cb41da9d29.jpg (637KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
0b53953eaa3b8ba082f060cb41da9d29.jpg
637KB, 1024x684px
Why are "cavalry" and "armor" still separate branches in the US Army? What's the functional difference between units with either monicker, from battalion/squadron size to 1CD and 1AD?

I'm legitimately curious. Is it just a relic that they've never gotten around to removing, or is there a distinct purpose between the two groups?
>>
>>32607622
To my understanding, cavalry is a more mobile and flanking force while the armour are a more front / direct combat force.
>>
To my understanding "armoured" divisions in the US army are basically composed of the same heavy BCTs as a mechanized infantry. The 1st cavalry division is the same.

While ACR's are more based on M1s supported by Bradley CFV's with limited dismounts, and a larger complement of helicopters. Sort of a flanking or screening force with enough firepower to trash anything less than a prepared defensive line.
>>
>>32607622
It's okay for calvary to dismount and engage during combat operations.
Not so much tankers.
>>
>>32608099
Don't they both ride in tanks?
>>
>>32608302
Calvary goes in front of the tanks. They recon for MBTs who come in to blast the target's Cav have run into or have spotted.

Or at least that is how it's suppose to work.
>>
>>32608302
Bradley's =/= tanks
>>
>>32607622
The only cavalry by branch are the 19D's (cav scouts). While they do have some light armor they don't have Abrams tanks in cav scout units.

Pretty much any MOS can be assigned to any division--first armor has infantry, cavalry, air cavalry (kiowas and their pilots), tankers, truck drivers, cooks, admin clerks, supply clerks, mechanics, etc etc etc. And so does first cav. And the 82nd. And 3rd ID. And 10th MTN. Etc etc etc.
>as far as I know the only active division with NO tanks is the 101st, even the 82nd still keeps Sheridans and their crew in ready reserve
>>
>>32607622
Get a load of this guy coming here not knowing the functional difference between a unit built around MBTs and one built around APCs/IFVs.
>>
>>32608555
I didn't know they were mostly IFVs.

This thread has been rather enlightening.
>>
>Branch named Cavalry
>There's no horses
Bravo, America
>>
>>32608347
>>32608099
>Calvary
Calvary is a town, Cavalry is the thing with the vehicles
>>
>>32610322
In fact, I believe one of the last cavalry charges was done by the US Army in the Philippines during the initial Japanese invasion.
>>
File: fuck your shit.jpg (2MB, 1280x915px) Image search: [Google]
fuck your shit.jpg
2MB, 1280x915px
>>32610378
>The 26th Cavalry Regiment, consisting mostly of Philippine Scouts, was the last U.S. cavalry regiment to engage in horse-mounted warfare. When Troop G encountered Japanese forces at the village of Morong on 16 January 1942, Lieutenant Edwin P. Ramsey ordered the last cavalry charge in American history. During the retreat from Bataan, the 26th was heavily outnumbered by an infantry force supported by tanks. They drove off the surprised Japanese.
>>
>>32607622
Cavalry isn't a branch of the Army, armor is. If you go into armor, you'll be doing something closely related or involving Abrams tanks, Bradleys, and the like, whether repairing them, manning them, or whatever.

Cavalry is a unit distinction or label pertaining to their own unit's role or doctrine. So you can be a cavalry scout, an MOS, but you're still under the armor branch.
>>
>>32610566
Then why aren't they just all "cavalry".

It sounds cooler.
>>
>>32607622
Cavalry is more motorized and mechanized, while armor is usually.. well armor

But im no expert
>>
File: 1406699384490.gif (3MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1406699384490.gif
3MB, 250x250px
Former 11b in a Cav unit. Mostly legacy stuff. In practice, they get thrown in with infantry and armor. They claim to do recon, but are mostly treated as overequipped/undermanned infantry(as in, they use funds of the entire unit to give their snowflakes SCAR-Ls because the officers are cav) unit or an underequipped/overmanned armor unit. As a result, they're so insecure in their lack of identity that they piss on every other MOS. They even once attempted to get upgraded to being special operations to be extra special. I thought it was just because of the infantry/cavalry rivalry, but that's the verdict of every person I've met in a cav unit.
>>
>>32610793
>cav scouts with SCARs
>asking to be upgraded to special operations

Leave, liar.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.