[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ I need to know whether or not it is legal for me to have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: ss waifu.png (230KB, 726x720px) Image search: [Google]
ss waifu.png
230KB, 726x720px
/k/ I need to know whether or not it is legal for me to have a rifle locked in my trunk that I park on a college campus.
>inb4 Shooty McSchool
I have tried to look up the law on it (I live in Georgia, US) but don't really understand whether I am within my rights to do so.

Here is a link that explains concealed carry on campuses, but i am not sure whether or not the rifle in trunk is classified as concealed carry.

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-11/article-4/part-3/16-11-127-1/
>>
File: 1456087959640.jpg (128KB, 600x510px) Image search: [Google]
1456087959640.jpg
128KB, 600x510px
>>32606188
The way I see it is that you can have it, so long as it is locked, and concealed from view within the vehicle.

I come to this conclusion based on this line
>any person to carry to or to possess or have under such person's control

Based on this it must be on your person in some way, shape, or form for it to be in violation.

This is also supported by it not being stated that it is a violation for a weapon to be located within a school safety zone out of someone's direct possession or control.

This is the best I can do. Most people of the law would see it this way as well. It states directly wielding or carrying is illegal, but does not state that a gun cannot be with in a school zone.
>>
>>32606511
ok cool, thanks man.
>>
>>32606553
No problem. I am not a Georgian, but in my state(DE) there are sections that clearly state that a gun, regardless of it being wielded or carried, cannot enter a school zone in any way shape or form. So considering you don't have a line like that, I can assume that it is legal.

Just a thought based on comparison. As long as it is out of sight and secured(you would get fucked sideways if it gets stolen) you should be just fine. I assume you are doing this as you cannot store it in your dorm, and need an alternative?
>>
>>32606188
Check with your campus police if they have a weapons storage program. It will be stated on their firearms/weapons policy. My university has one and many of the students who do target shooting and hunting take advantage of the policy.
>>
>>32606633
yeah man, can't keep in my dorm and no friends nearby.
>>32606641
Fucking good suggestion, thanks man, looking it up now
>>
>>32606633
Forgot to mention this would be the safer option as it prevents your rifle from being stolen. Just make sure you have a case for your rifle when you bring it into the station
>>
>>32606667
And after you check your longarm with them and they trust that you're kosher, smuggle the rest of your guns into your dorm.

A gun in campus police custody isn't going to do you a damn bit of good if Shooty McSchool decides he isn't getting enough attention.
>>
>>32606709
And it doesn't do any good in my dorm other than tempt Murphy.
>>
>>32606188
>Not having a trunk trunk

This is why /pol/ needs to leave.
>>
>>32606761
I hope you at least carry.
>>
>>32606793
With no campus carry, I am not carrying. It does nothing but temp the law.
>>
>>32606793I'm 19, I can't carry yet.

>>32606709
checked my colleges codes of conduct and says that a rifle or ammo can not be stored in my car while it is on campus. I'll check if they have a system where i can lock it up on campus. If not, it will have to go to my friend's place unfortunately. Lot of "random" searches have been going on recently.
>>
>>32606188

>Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

In Georgia if you can buy it you can carry it on your property or carry it in your car. No problem. It's not "concealed carry" it's literally transporting the firearm.

As for your school, that is a whole other matter. The law will protect you from criminal proceedings. You won't go to jail. But, a school can have whatever insane rules it wants if it is a private school, and if it is a state school it will still almost certainly have some stupid rules about guns.

Double check what you signed when you got your parking permit or whatever. In the fine print there might be a sneaky little "by using this parking permit you are utilizing university land. As such we reserve the right to search your car to see if you are violating any rules" or something like that. If they don't allow weapons and you have one, you will get kicked out. All that tuition money you paid at the beginning of the year? No refunds. Get fucked.

Finally, do not tell anyone about your guns on a campus. DO. NOT. TELL. ANYONE. A girlfriend has a hard breakup? Well shit, a SWAT team just flashbanged you and you are short two teeth and have a bruised rib because she said you were going to kill her. They find your weapon, against University rules. You get kicked out of school. Etc.
>>
>>32606977
no one but myself and my rifle know about this, and I'll look it up. thank you
>>
File: 1455202281356.gif (358KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1455202281356.gif
358KB, 300x169px
>>32606188
Your car is not collage property.
Your car is registered by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Collage roads are still state roads you registered your car to use.
Technically your car, by state/federal law can have firearm on road when safely transported on roads.
Firearm outside of car is no longer inside of car.
>>
>>32606977

>As such we reserve the right to search your car to see if you are violating any rules

Only an absolute moron would give away their 4th Amendment rights under the "threat" of horseshit like that.

"You want to search my car? Can I see your court issued search warrant? Oh, you don't have one? Get fucked you Commie rent-a-cop."
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.