[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would "modern" weapons work with black powder ? Let's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Shotgun shell.gif (8KB, 192x278px) Image search: [Google]
Shotgun shell.gif
8KB, 192x278px
Would "modern" weapons work with black powder ? Let's suppose I reload my cartridges with black powder instead of smokeless pellets : what problems would arise from this ?
>>
>>32586554
Rust... About it. Clean it good afterwards and you'll be fine. BP is far easier on guns.
>>
>>32586554
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzQ4uKvE7c

smoke
>>
Lower velocity to projectiles
More smoke
More fouling and potential for corrosion if not cleaned properly
Less effective gaspressure if gas-operated mechanism
>nothing critical
>>
>>32586554
Depends what you mean by modern? Semi handguns would be hit and miss but a revolver and any repeating and even semi long guns would function with cleaning.
>>
Black powder works just fine in modern guns, for a while. Depending on gun that might be maybe just dozen shots or less in worst case. After fouling causes malfunctions the gun just need good cleaning and it is good to go again for some time.
>>
>>32586554

Most levergats were designed with black powder cartridges in mind. Any manually cycled gun will work pretty much without a hitch, be them revolvers, shotguns, leverguns, or bolt actions. Semiautomatics would be more meh, since smokeless has more umph, gas operated recoil systems may not cycle properly, in fact, most probably won't due to the lower pressures and the fact that black powder cases much more fouling and buildup.

Also, more smoke, lots of it. Lower velocities. Clean guns more often and more thoroughly.

You can buy black powder loads for some cartridges and try them out if you want, .45-70 comes to mind. I've shot BP .45-70 through my levergat
>>
>>32586607

Velocity shouldn't be that much less for <2000 FPS cartridges

Of course, you might not be able to get enough black in the cartridge to get the same velocity as smokeless with many cartridges as they were designed for less smokeless in mind. But a shotgun shell shouldn't be any different.
>>
File: 1482867974513.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1482867974513.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>32586576
>load all your ammo for your CC with black powder
>in a defense scenario you get the additional benefit of a smokescreen to obscure your position
>>
Should work fine (for a while) but expect a shitton of rust and smoke
>>
>>32586554
What are you using for primers?

If you plan on time-travelling or SHTF you need to realize that simply filling up the case with black powder won't do anything. You need a shock-sensitive primer.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.