[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are police officers (law enforcement) everything they are built

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

Are police officers (law enforcement) everything they are built up to be? Are they "social workers with guns" or "pigs"? Do they know how to use weapons efficiently? Is it worth becoming a police officer with a non-military citizen background?

Personally, I am 18 and wondering if I should go to college to become an officer (thus a college education for good pay) or to go into the trades.

How has your career worked out(regardless of what field you are in)? Any police officers are encouraged to post although I doubt any would because of this sites less than perfect reputation.
>>
>>32580110
They're cops. What people think of them is subjective.
>>
>>32580110
First of all,
Do you actually have any desire to be a police officer?
Secondly your question is vague and depends on the departments and cities themselves
>>
>>32580110
Its up to you what a cop is. My stepdad is a cop and an awesome guy. And ive run into others from his dept that are bros. I've also been held down on 130 degree asphalt with a knee in the back of my neck because "I looked like I was up to something" fucking pig. Held me there for 15 mins
>>
>>32580110
They're civilians tasked with maintaining public order.
>Are they "social workers with guns" or "pigs"?
Entirely contextual, 99% of the time they're average folk.
>Do they know how to use weapons efficiently?
Entirely depends on the person.
>I am 18 and wondering if I should go to college to become an officer
Don't waste your time getting a non-STEM (excluding science) degree, you can basically be any kind of law enforcement without one. If you really need one to be a special LEO, like an air marshal, just go to community college or get a STEM major so you have a backup plan.
>>
>>32580146
We'll currently I'm not even going to high school but got accepted to a nice college w scholarship. I might apply to some others, mostly public schools. I'm not going to high school because I skipped 3 weeks so far, not counting winter break, because I don't have many friends and didn't want to do schoolwork. The only thing that brings me joy is training at the gym, so I usually would skip class to sleep, shit, eat, and relax before going to the gym.

But I spent a week at a college camp last summer and enjoyed it, best week of my life. Had a girlfriend. For one week. (She lives far away.)

Do I desire to become a police officer? I think so. I wish in this moment I was employed as one. I always see them and admire them. I have called the police like 2 or 3 times in the last year because I live in the outskirts of a really bad ghetto.

However I always seem to think I am destined to be a loner, a lone wolf, a career in the trades would let me have employment in case I fuck up and call somebody a kike or a nigger.
>>
>>32580208
This was insightful. Thank you.
>>
>>32580110
A cop's job is to generate revenue through ticketing and populating private prisons.
>>
>>32580208
This is very true. I'm trying to join the Ontario provincial police right now and before I went off to school I talked to a number of officers about what I should be studying.

They all said literally anything but police sciences.

So I went with cyber security and investigation so I will have so useful skills for them as an officer but at the same time I can get another job if policing doesn't work out for whatever reason.
>>
>>32580110
>Are they "social workers with guns" or "pigs"? Do they know how to use weapons efficiently?
Depends entirely on the person in question. I know people who always feel the need to mention that you smell like weed and people who don't smell shit if they don't see it. I know people who have cost me points on my qualifications by missing their target and hitting mine, and I know people whose not giving a fuck scores are still in the top three of the department.

Every cop is an individual and has their own foibles, quirks, and take on the job.

>>32580110
>Is it worth becoming a police officer with a non-military citizen background?
Check how much the civil service exam gives to veterans as extra credit, it might be enough that you'll never make it.

As for it being worth becoming a police officer. If you're not attached to being able to CC everywhere it's really not that great. The pay is meh and everyone will find a fault with everything you do.
>>
>>32580110
>>32580227

What do you have to offer a department that they'd even be interested in you?

You're 18 so you have zero life experience, you have no college degree, you are truant, you haven't mentioned that you are employed, and you state that you don't have friends and don't want to do schoolwork.

You might be interested in the police but they definitely won't be interested in you.
>>
>>32580267
No traffic violation ticket revenue goes to the department
>>
I've had some less than pleasant encounters with some power tripping cops, can't rightly say I care much for that variety. The cops that do paperwork are just run of the mill bureaucrats, if not a bit faster.
I wouldn't say I admire them or look up to them in any way, but I can appreciate that they're doing some bloody unappreciated ungrateful yet necessary work, really like nurses in a lot of ways.
>>
>>32580397
No, but all the stolen loot does.
>>
>>32580397
he's right >>32580413 Town halls incentivize their local cops to collect as much ticket revenue as possible
>>
>>32580389
I am fit, got a 29 on the act, and was planning on attending a community college or whatnot before applying.

My city needs more police officers, we currently have half the rate of officers per capita of cities of comparable size.

Most officers live in the same area for the city department and each suburb has their own department.
>>
>>32580455
It doesn't matter how fit you are or what score you got on a basic bitch standardized test, nobody will hire you unless you're a quality person. Skipping school for extended periods of time and not doing work are not desirable qualities.

Also, do you realize that if you don't graduate high school because you're a truant antisocial retard no-one but Papa John will hire you?
>>
>>32580455

None of that is enough to get you through hiring.

Start going to school, get accepted to a college, get a real degree, and start working a job if you want to be competitive in hiring.
>>
we dont need police.
>>
File: ancap-meme-generator.png (200KB, 547x402px) Image search: [Google]
ancap-meme-generator.png
200KB, 547x402px
>>32580618
>>
>Are they "social workers with guns" or "pigs"?
we're first respondents, primarily. We're also peace officers and law enforcement. Between all of that, there is some overlap and grey area. We are, primarily, supposed to enforce laws and ensure publice safety. Again, these things dont always go hand in hand in a perfect way. I wont lie, not all cops are saints, and plenty are assholes. Ii wont lie either in saying Im not an asshole sometimes either. You deal with the public all day, having to make tough choices, youre going to have your moments. If youve ever worked with the general public (retail, fast food, ect) you know what im talking about
>do they know how to use weapons efficiently
not to the standards I want, but theyre not completely retarded. Im sure youve read the same stories about shootouts where multiple shots are fired and somebody accidentally gets hit, and while this isnt ok dont be fooled by some dumbass on /k/ who claims to be an opertauh that they would be any better
>is it worth it
depends on what you think youd get out of the job. Its A LOT of talking to people, paperwork, mundane shit. Followed by a few minutes action, that you will have to fll out the aforementioned paper work for later. Youre not going to be some hard ass breaking the rules and getting into shootouts every other month and be all cleared for it. If you try to, you will be ostracized until you fuck up and are fired
>should I go to college to become an officer
fuck no, unless you specialize in something like forensics or computer science that a department can use. They will put you through an academy to train you to be a cop anyway. Can a degree in something useful that can applied to this job or something else in case you want to quit and have something to fall back on

I love my job, its not the easiest but there are much worse things to be doing out there, I cant imagine doing anything else but its not for everyone. Dont try to shape the career into what you want it to be
>>
>>32580810
Good response. Thanks. I like that last part. Def won't try to shape it. The cop I've seen the most was my school resource officer, only said hello to him like once, but everyday we drove a quarter mile the same direction, him going to the station, myself to the gym.

I also remember the cops being super chill when I was setting off fireworks with a fiend and they just shrugged it off as good fun.

However I actually got a speeding ticket that same day driving my buddy home. I was glad I didn't had my improvised fireworks with me (sparklers) cuz it would have been a really bad idea to get caught with those.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.